Racers,

Here is the 2018 West Coast Series Calendar of races

January 13, 14 Phoenix, AZ Winterfest 426, EF-1
February 24,25 Phoenix, AZ Q-40 Classic
March 24, 25 Whittier, CA 424, 426, 422
April 21, 22 Woodland, CA EF-1, 426, 422
June 9,10 Sepulveda Basin, CA 424, 426, 422
August 25, 26 Denver, CO Q-40 NMPRA Champ Race
October 27, 28 Whittier, CA 2018 West Coast Series Championship Race 424, 426, 422

We're still waiting for confirmations from the Oakdale and Riverside clubs, but the rest have been confirmed already...

Please make sure you put these dates in your calendar to avoid conflicts.
Mario Salazar

ronin4740
Super Contributor
Flag: United States of America

Re: 2018 WEST COAST SERIES CALENDAR OF RACES

Postby ronin4740 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:27 am

Scheduling vacation time now!

Really wish you guys down south would consider running at least one event with EF1 as a category.

killerd
Super Contributor

Postby killerd » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:51 pm

Over the last several years, I have included EF1 at the Basin Race. I received emails promising if I included it, they would come. I have 3 years worth of EF1 trophies in boxes, but what I failed to get was a single entry to show up at the race. Get me 9 people that commit to racing the class and I will make a spot for it, otherwise we just can't risk the time slot for the other classes that are getting the entries. My opinion is the entries from EF1 are coming from current 424,426,422 pilots and there is only so many classes you can fly in 1 weekend unless you are superman or Danny Coe. I wish we had been more successful in recruiting new pilots to start with EF1 and get them hooked so they might consider 424 or 426 in the near future. We discuss this all the time and there hasn't been any good answers to the dilemma.

Doug K

fizzwater2
Super Contributor

Postby fizzwater2 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:01 pm

We even offered club members that expressed even a little interest an airplane & transmitter, all set up ready to go to let them try EF1.

No takers.. This year our club didn't have a race, but last year, I think we had 5 entries in Ef1, most of those were guys that were at the race for the 424 and 426 from out of town.
Out of all the places we could be, this is one of them.

ronin4740
Super Contributor

Postby ronin4740 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:06 am

The past few times Robert's run EF1 at the Woodland/Davis race he's had good turnout - actually a better turn out than I remember for the 424 class of any race I've attended in Southern California. The pilots which show up to race have to be coming from somewhere but I guess that somewhere must not be Southern California.

Jim Allen also manages to get a pretty good turn out for EF1 at Phoenix Winterfest - again it's a better turn out than I recall seeing come out for the 424 class in SoCal. I'll admit that while many of the folks who come to Winterfest come from the West Coast many others come from other parts of the country. Still I think if Jim thought he'd get more people to fly 424 vs. EF1 he'd run that category and eliminate EF1 from Winterfest.

I don't know how many are signed up to fly 424 at the race coming up in a week at Whittier but if the number is less than 8 then I have to believe if 424 was replaced by EF1 you'd have at least an equal if not better turn out of racers for that category.

It seems to me that this is a marketing problem or perhaps a preference of the CD's to run an all nitro race. That's fine - it's your race, not mine but the stats from the other races would seem to indicate that if you run EF1 instead of 424 you should actually get more, not less, participants.

Still I'm not the one with a closet full of unused EF1 trophies... I'm just a guy trying to participate in enough EF1 contests to be able to just appear on the NMPRA scoreboard... And it looks like that won't be possible *again* in 2018 due to the lack of EF1 contests in my "area"...

Chris

Topic Author
MSALAZAR
Super Contributor
Flag: Columbia

Postby MSALAZAR » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:45 am

Chris,

I can totally understand your frustration, but trust me, it is even way more frustrating for us race organizers to go through all the "behind the scenes" work and logistics necessary to make one of these events happen and not having the support from participating pilots!

I've had many debates over this issue with several people and my answer has always been, by all means, please organize an EF-1 event yourself and see how many pilots you'll have in attendance!

As far as our club in particular (The Whittier Club), about 5 yrs ago, an EF-1 pilot caused a fire in the pits area, and because of this the club has been very apprehensive to hold EF-1 races anymore. Since Whittier Narrows is a public park, the last thing we need is another flying field being closed because of a fire!

See you next weekend!
Mario Salazar

Return to “General Discussions Q500 & Q40”