Nelson/Aero Q40 LS break-in?

Pylon Racing General Interest --
turbine_guy
Super Contributor

Nelson/Aero Q40 LS break-in?

Post by turbine_guy »

Looking for a/the break-in process of a new Nelson Q40LS .

I vaguely remember in the 1990’s , the Nelson Q40SS came with an instruction sheet (bought from Dave Shadel/Pspec)

I’m getting back into this and would like to hear ideas/best practice.

Thank you,
Jake
sahartman21
Super Contributor

Re: Nelson/Aero Q40 LS break-in?

Post by sahartman21 »

Below are the key items I do when breaking in an engine:

1. Put on a light propeller such as a 7.4 x 7.5 carbon fiber APC.
2. Fill the bladder tank with fuel insuring there is no air.
3. Open the needle valve around 4 turns.
4. Start the engine and lean the needle valve to run about 17,000 rpms. Shut off the engine when it starts to speed up.
5. Run at least another tank of fuel like step 4.
6. On the third tank you can increase the rpms to 22 to 23 k rpms.
7. After 3 tanks I continue the break-in while flying.
8. Fill the tank as in prior steps. Start the engine and lean the engine until is running rich (around 22k rpms). Launch the model and verify the engine is running rich with some smoke. Shut the engine off when it starts running very fast.
9. Continue with several more rich runs in the air. Gradually lean in the needle until the engine runs fast the entire tank.
10. Check the color of the plug between runs. During break-in the plug should have very little or no color. The oil on the bottom of the fuselage should have little or no color.

Please recognize that the above is only guidance. When in doubt, shut down the engine. Best of luck!
Last edited by sahartman21 on Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Hartman
Fritch, TX 79036
RCjunkie
Super Contributor

Post by RCjunkie »

Great Job Scott
2 wrongs don't make a right But 2 Wrights makes a Airplane
Kevin Matney http://www.Matneymodels.com
734 - 848 - 8195
"IN GOD WE TRUST " 44W
Von Der Hey
Super Contributor

Post by Von Der Hey »

Please remember to add between five and ten percent castor oil to the break-in fuel. I am currently writing break-in instructions for the Nelson 40. Scott pretty much covered everything. BTW, there are many different different processes for break-in. The most important point is not to run the engine even close to lean. Von Der Hey
Von Der Hey
Super Contributor

Post by Von Der Hey »

Test stand
Attachments
C81853DA-D898-46A2-BC42-079A1103A375.jpeg
Jett
Contributor

Post by Jett »

I don't usually post, but I was looking for the dates of the "new" Classic--hope you all can come. Hope I can come because tickets are out of sight.

Scotts post on break in is excellent. It is the method we have used for many years without trouble. I use 5% nitro with an extra 4-5 % castor, but I don't really know if that helps. If you use this fuel and a good foam wrapped (big) tank you can walk away and let it die, but only if all is clean and you have an inline filter. I don't really have time to stand there, so I filter going in and coming out and flush out all the tubing and needles before I start.

Just a reminder. Never, never, ever stand in front of the engine during needle setting or break in. If something fails, or heaven forbid, you blow a prop blade, you die.

Finally, the part about killing the engine when it pipes and over speeds is most important. No excuses, like "I'm trimming", are good. Kill it instantly.
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

Speaking of break-in, here should be a link to the July 2020 issue of the Pylon Racing column in Model Aviation where I wrote about engine test stands (with information and guidance from Dub and Mike Langlois). Not sure if this link will work for you. I could get to the library, but it wouldn't let me open the article. Don't know why. I'm an AMA member and subscribe to the magazine. And, I write the damn pylon column! Well, best of luck to anyone else who attempts to open. I believe there is some helpful information in there if you can get to it. :roll:

https://www.modelaviationdigital.com/mo ... n/library/

Tim Lampe
turbine_guy
Super Contributor

Post by turbine_guy »

All great info!

Thanks gentlemen!
RCjunkie
Super Contributor

Post by RCjunkie »

Great words Dub about being in front it I have a mark were a prop broke and hit me in my arm
2 wrongs don't make a right But 2 Wrights makes a Airplane
Kevin Matney http://www.Matneymodels.com
734 - 848 - 8195
"IN GOD WE TRUST " 44W
Sparky
Super Contributor

Post by Sparky »

Tim,
I was able to open the link and get the information. The MA link is a bit clunky (not as difficult as this web site:) but I eventually got to the article.
I do want to thank you for your continued production of these great timely articles published to share the secrets of pylon racing.
The biggest secret is as we all know, "Practice Practice Practice, Race Race Race"
Sparky
AlexVazquez
Super Contributor

Post by AlexVazquez »

KRProton wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:32 pm Speaking of break-in, here should be a link to the July 2020 issue of the Pylon Racing column in Model Aviation where I wrote about engine test stands (with information and guidance from Dub and Mike Langlois). Not sure if this link will work for you. I could get to the library, but it wouldn't let me open the article. Don't know why. I'm an AMA member and subscribe to the magazine. And, I write the damn pylon column! Well, best of luck to anyone else who attempts to open. I believe there is some helpful information in there if you can get to it. :roll:

https://www.modelaviationdigital.com/mo ... n/library/

Tim Lampe
Hi,
this link send you directly to your article
https://www.modelaviationdigital.com/mo ... 0/3825337/
Pylon Racing Mexico
NMPRA 30y
D9 VP