FAA Registration update

Pylon Racing General Interest --
jima
Super Contributor

FAA Registration update

Post by jima »

Hello All and Happy New Year,

You may have been following the FAA registration issue on the AMA web site. If so, you know that the FAA has agreed "in principal" to let AMA members use their AMA number as their registration number. AMA is continuing to work with the FAA to streamline the registration process for it's members. You can read more details here, on the AMA site:

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov ... istration/

With AMA feeling the final resolution of the issue will probably not be resolved prior to the Feb 19th deadline, there's probably not much benefit in waiting to get the registration done and if you do it before Jan 19th, you can save $5.00. This way you'll have it done before the first races you get to. You will apparently get a certificate to print out and I understand that you can also have it sent to you electronically so you can keep it in your phone, etc. This will be acceptable as well.

As for markings, there are no restrictions on size or contrast for your registration number to be on your plane. It just needs to be on all of your aircraft where it can be easily read and accessible without tools. For example, it could be on the wing of a QM under the belly pan if it is only taped on. If you have to remove the wing of a Quickie with a screw driver, you can't put the number inside the fuselage. It could be on the bottom of the fuselage or the bottom of the stab if you don't want it to distract from your concours winning color scheme. As an example, for one of my QM's I took to Dubai, I wanted the numbers subtle so I cut the required 25mm high numbers from yellow vinyl and put them on a yellow stripe on the top of the wing. You can clearly read them up close but from a few ft away, they're hardly noticeable. In fact it's the one I'm holding in the picture on the home page as I type this.

AMA is working hard for us to minimize the unnecessary burden to it's members and the FAA seems to be willing to work with them on it. They've made good progress so far and it's probably good to press on and get your registration done and your planes marked so you can focus on the fun stuff to get ready for the upcoming racing season.

Jim Allen
RCPylon Contest Board Chair
Last edited by jima on Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
killerd
Super Contributor

Re: FAA Registration update

Post by killerd »

Does this mean the "short" version we paint on our planes "N52K" is not enough??
ceandra
Super Contributor

Post by ceandra »

Jim:

I went ahead and did this. I see on AMA FAQ that they indicate AMA number will suffice. Do you know if FAA has posted a similar interpretation on their web site?

I did go ahead and register. First attempt, never got confirmation email, but could not try again because my email shows as already in use. Had to go to a second email, got confirmation, got certificate online. However, it says it would be emailed, and it never was. had to print from web site.

be sure to have more than one email address available in case this happens to you!

Chuck
11H
iamtom
Super Contributor

Post by iamtom »

What I want to know is if we register now and get a different number do we lose the ability to use our AMA number later?
123READY TURN
cbk07
Super Contributor

Post by cbk07 »

The last correspondence I got from the AMA recommended holding off on registering. Has this changed?
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

killerd wrote:Does this mean the "short" version we paint on our planes "N52K" is not enough??
DK,

Correct, in the eyes of the AMA that is not enough as it doesn't mean anything to anyone but us. There is no need to change anything that is already done. Just add your full number somewhere.

DK
Last edited by kane on Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

cbk07 wrote:The last correspondence I got from the AMA recommended holding off on registering. Has this changed?
Craig,

It is your choice to do it now or later. Just keep in mind that after the 19th, it will cost you $5.

DK
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

iamtom wrote:What I want to know is if we register now and get a different number do we lose the ability to use our AMA number later?
Tom,

According to what we have been told, the FAA is accepting our AMA number and will create a cross reference database. So to answer you question, no it doesn't look that way.

DK
dscherrer
Super Contributor

Post by dscherrer »

So I would guess that 1/4" to 1/2" high, vinyl-cut letters, affixed to the bottom side of the stab meets this requirement? EF1 at least can go in the battery compartment.

To me saving the five dollars by registering by 1/19 doesn't even register with me. Holding out, in what little hope there is left, that this goes away before the deadline in February.

Cheers,
Doug
mflood3800
Super Contributor

Post by mflood3800 »

I registered to be in compliance with the different race venues coming up. I was assigned the FAA ten digit number.
Do I have to put that on my planes or can I put my AMA# on them? I guess I am confused. The last email I got from the AMA was that they were still working on trying to secure us the ability to use our AMA# but I did see in the email that that was not successful just yet. Then in that email they made a point to mention that if we register by the 19th it was free, so I took that as a hint to go get it done, so I did.

But in reading Jims post, it sounds like the FAA is going to allow the AMA # already?

Can I just use my AMA# or do I have to use the long FAA#?
Last edited by mflood3800 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marty Flood
Team JRPROPO
YS Engines
mflood3800
Super Contributor

Post by mflood3800 »

I got this off the FAA registration site:

Q47. Is putting my AMA number on my drone enough?
A. No. Not at this time. The registration system will generate a unique FAA registration number, which you must mark on your aircraft.

Guess that answers my question for now at least unless the FAA website is not updated reflecting the AMA getting permission to allow its members to use their AMA #.

I also was not given the option to use my AMA# on the reg process from the FAA site. They assigned one themselves?
Marty Flood
Team JRPROPO
YS Engines
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

Marty

Please follow the link that Jim provided in his original post.

There you will find the language that states the FAA and AMA have an agreement in principle.

For now we don't have any additional information. We have answered the questions to the best of our knowledge and understanding.

DK
mflood3800
Super Contributor

Post by mflood3800 »

Dan
Yes that is the same email I got from the AMA.
At this time if you register, the only number you are given or allowed by the FFA web registration process, is the FFA generated number.
Maybe later there will be the allowance of the AMA# to be used in conjunction with this FFA assigned number through a "cross reference" database.
But for now, if you go to register, you dont have that choice.

We all appreciate the work of the AMA and hope it is resolved in our favor quickly.
Marty Flood
Team JRPROPO
YS Engines
jima
Super Contributor

Post by jima »

Marty is correct. I apparently misinterpreted the information I received that, an agreement was in place to allow us to use only our AMA number when, it is actually only agreed to "in principal" and that we "will be able to" use our AMA number instead of the FAA number when the agreement is final. For now, we will need to use the FAA number issued when we register. Sorry for the misinformation above. I will correct that initial post.

Jim Allen
RCPylon Contest Board Chair
Dave Yost
Super Contributor

Post by Dave Yost »

I am going to put my phone number with the rest of the numbers on a small data plate.

Why? Who would you rather have somebody who finds your airplane call? You...or the FAA?

Just a thought..

Dave