FAA Registration update

Pylon Racing General Interest --
N81U
Contributor

Re: FAA Registration update

Post by N81U »

What about Jaime From Mexico and friends from Europe? Can they register?
diggs_74
Super Contributor

Post by diggs_74 »

I begrudgingly went to the FAA site to register.. However, when I got there I found no link to register my model aircraft, only a link to register drones.. I don't own a drone, what do I do now.. :roll:

Anyone remember ultralight aircraft?? There use to be quite a large community of them up here, hundreds, maybe 1000+ in a 3 state area.. They were backed by the EAA and happily plodding around the sky on sunny Saturday afternoons.. I know this because my dad owned one and belonged to a club in Minneapolis, MN.. There was a proposal by the EAA (similarly pushed by the FAA) to "allow" ultralights to get an N-number with the FAA.. Many, including my dad who was an A&P mechanic at the time, said that might not be a good idea, that once the aircraft had an N-number, the FAA would be making the decisions on the future of the ultralight hobby.. I think I was about 14 when this was going on, I'm now 41 and I can't remember the last time I saw an ultralight on a sunny calm Saturday afternoon.. We went to a few ultralight fly-ins in the couple years following the requirement and the last one we went to my have had a dozen aircraft at it.. By the time I was 18, my dad sold his ultralight and many of the people we flew with did the same.. Then, the FAA introduced light sport and the requirement for a light sport license and the final nail was put in the ultralight coffin.. These registration numbers may not be an N-number but they will most likely be close enough..

I was hopeful that the cash we've given to the AMA had trickled into a pocket or two of committee members but obviously that hasn't been the case.. I'm luckier than most, I have access to hundreds of acres out in the middle of nowhere to construct my own flying field that I can shape like a middle finger to any who might fly by, so this will most likely be my last year as an AMA member.. That is of course, unless we can get on the "first 100 day" list of the next president.
Lee LaValley
NMPR# 33w
www.ncplracing.org
splatt
Super Contributor

Post by splatt »

Lee,

It's not the aircraft you are registering, it's you. But I feel your pain. It sucks. Just like Mr. Reagan said when the govt says,"we're here to help you", watch out.

But I wanna race and if that is what it takes, then so be it. I'll wonder of better days of the past and move on and beat everyone on the course till they pry my cold dead fingers from my transmitter.
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

splatt wrote:
But I wanna race and if that is what it takes, then so be it. I'll wonder of better days of the past and move on and beat everyone on the course till they pry my cold dead fingers from my transmitter.
Ditto
And I said, here am I send me.
RCjunkie
Super Contributor

Post by RCjunkie »

Just have some 1 make you up a few sheets of business card with your info on it. And place in it what you are flying
2 wrongs don't make a right But 2 Wrights makes a Airplane
Kevin Matney http://www.Matneymodels.com
734 - 848 - 8195
"IN GOD WE TRUST " 44W
RCjunkie
Super Contributor

Post by RCjunkie »

734 - 848 - 8195
"IN GOD WE TRUST " 44W
fizzwater2
Super Contributor

Post by fizzwater2 »

Kevin - I think the FAA requires that the number be able to be read "without tools" - so if you have the number inside, and have to have a screwdriver to take the wing off, it doesn't meet the requirements.
Out of all the places we could be, this is one of them.
RCjunkie
Super Contributor

Post by RCjunkie »

I made Callie Graphics make them for me, Find him on Face Book.
http://www.callie-graphics.com
Attachments
DSC04452.JPG
DSC04454.JPG
734 - 848 - 8195
"IN GOD WE TRUST " 44W
BV
Super Contributor

Post by BV »

Academy of Model Aeronautics
Member Communication

Friday, May 19, 2017

Dear members,

As you've probably heard by now, a federal appeals court today struck down the FAA's registration requirement for recreational model aircraft.

Today's Court ruling is effective immediately. As such, if you have not registered with the FAA, you are no longer required under the law to do so. For those of you who have already registered with the FAA, you may be wondering what this means for you. We are currently working to obtain answers from the FAA and will share more information as it becomes available.

Please keep in mind that this is a fluid situation and there is always the possibility of a renewed push in Congress to compel federal registration for model aircraft. If that happens, rest assured that AMA will continue to advocate for your interests and keep you well informed every step of the way. We have repeatedly argued that federal registration for our community is duplicative and unnecessary, as our members already register their model aircraft with AMA. In addition, our 80-year history of safe and responsible flying demonstrates that we're not the problem. We shouldn't be burdened by overly broad regulations.

Today's ruling also bodes well for our pending court challenge to the FAA's interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (also known as the Interpretative Rule). That petition, which AMA filed in 2014, is currently before the same Court that today rejected the FAA's registration rule and affirmed the strength of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, otherwise known as Section 336. This gives us hope for our continued fight against the Interpretive Rule.

We understand that these policy and legal developments are sometimes dizzying and complicated, and they are rarely resolved quickly. We're nearly three years into our challenge to the Interpretive Rule, for example. We truly appreciate your sticking with us while we press on in the fight to protect your right to fly, free from unnecessary and burdensome restrictions.

Sincerely,
AMA Government Affairs

View an AMA Air video update.

www.modelaircraft.org
iamtom
Super Contributor

Post by iamtom »

Just FYI, in the Pres. article in MA mag, it looks like we no longer have to register with the FAA.
Tom
123READY TURN
bob brogdon
Super Contributor

Post by bob brogdon »

I wouldn't start celebrating just yet. Both the House and the Senate have bills on the floor dealing with unmanned aerial vehicle and both bills contain wording to require registration of our models. If passed, registration will be required by law, not by FAA interpretation.

Bob
sahartman21
Super Contributor

Post by sahartman21 »

Dear members,

Last month (November 2017), we shared new information about the FAA's UAS registration requirement, which Congress has reinstated.

Today, we are writing to let you know that President Trump has signed this bill making UAS registration a federal requirement again, including for AMA members.

For more information and frequently asked questions, please visit our federal registration page.

Thank you,
AMA Government Relations
Scott Hartman
Fritch, TX 79036
sahartman21
Super Contributor

Post by sahartman21 »

Check your UAS expiration!

Mine expires in January 2019 and I suspect that others are also close to expiring.
Scott Hartman
Fritch, TX 79036
MLH
Super Contributor

Post by MLH »

I just checked on renewal and found this statement which extends our renewal time to 2020:

FAA Registration Renewal

On December 12, 2017, Congress reinstated FAA registration for all unmanned aircraft weighing between .55 lbs. and 55 lbs. Many of us had received our registration number before this December 12th date and we expected that the time to renew was coming soon. However, due to the ruling in the US Court of Appeals, those who obtained an FAA registration number before the December 12, 2017 date, will have their registration expiration date extended to December 12, 2020. The only caveat to this rule is for those individuals who specifically requested that his or her name be taken off the FAA registration database. If you requested to have your name and personal information removed, you no longer have an FAA registration number in the system.

If you are uncertain whether or not you have a valid FAA registration, you can access your FAA account at www.faadronezone.faa.gov. This site will allow you to view your personal FAA registration number and expiration date.
ceandra
Super Contributor

Post by ceandra »

Mike:

Your link does not work. It appears that, despite common standards, the FAA site does not like www in front. Try https://faadronezone.faa.gov

Chuck
11H