Your latest creation

Pylon Racing General Interest --
iamtom
Super Contributor

Re: Your latest creation

Post by iamtom »

My latest project. Since I struggle with film covering I decided to strip, glass and paint my world models Strega. The covering was easily removed in one evening and the fun begins. One thing I did do is cut a hatch on the bottom in front to deed up the firewall and access the compartment. Engine mount takes a little time. I started last weekend and now have only the wing left to glass. This is not a bad airframe to invest time into and will look really nice. I will post updates as I go.
Attachments
IMG_3102.JPG
123READY TURN
iamtom
Super Contributor

Post by iamtom »

I forgot , this will be my entry for the 2017 warbird NATS.
Tom
123READY TURN
Dave N
Super Contributor

Post by Dave N »

They fly good as well Tom. Nice.
www.ncplracing.org
wkevinm
Super Contributor

Post by wkevinm »

Here are 2 new planes waiting to go to Phoenix, it was -20C here this morning a wee bit chilly and too cold to practice, need to wait for the trip south.

One plane is a Sweet V from CMAD, I love how these fly.
The other is a Strega from Harold's shop. Hoping to go fast with this one.

Both planes are done with 2 Mil Vinyl.... no time or maybe desire to paint, cut on a Silhouette cutter.

Looking forward to seeing you all there. I have also attached the art work for a NMPRA logo some have asked for before.
Attachments
Sweet V
Sweet V
Strega
Strega
NMPRA New 8.pdf
PDF of NMPRA Logo, original is an IDRAW format ask if wanted
(256.22 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

Vinyl? Really? Stunning! Can't wait to get a glimpse of the Sweet Vee in person.

Tim
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

Okay, here's mine.

The sun was out today and the wind was reasonable, so I wanted to get the maiden, but didn't get it done in time. Maybe one day this week or next weekend if the weather cooperates.

Weighs 4.18lbs. all taped up, ready to go. Balances right were I want at 2-5/16" with no ballast in the nose or tail (guess I got the radio tray and the battery in the right spot!).

I also made a simple mold for the landing gear hatch cover and vacuum-formed a couple covers out of ABS.

I wasn't happy with the way the top of the V-tail met the turtle deck of the fuse, so I sanded down the V-tail to fit better and hit it with some Tamiya putty followed by a little airbrush work with more auto paint. Not absolutely perfect, but as good as the rest of the plane and much better than before.

The checkers are Shopline auto paint and the N number and district numbers are laser-cut vinyl.

Tim
Attachments
20170205_175629.jpg
20170205_175641.jpg
20170205_175701.jpg
20170205_175707.jpg
20170205_175713.jpg
20170205_175818.jpg
RCjunkie
Super Contributor

Post by RCjunkie »

Here some thing I have been working on.
Viper Dog E
4 or 5 cell on a 35-48 1000kv prop from a 8.375x7 to 9x9 apc
speed 80mph to 140mph.
Attachments
DSC_6955.JPG
DSC_6955-COLLAGE.jpg
DSC_6956.JPG
DSC_6957.JPG
DSC_6958.JPG
2 wrongs don't make a right But 2 Wrights makes a Airplane
Kevin Matney http://www.Matneymodels.com
734 - 848 - 8195
"IN GOD WE TRUST " 44W
iamtom
Super Contributor

Post by iamtom »

Tim the suggested C/G for the Sweet ver is 2 1/16 not 2 5/16". Unless you have experience at this C/G i would start off at the safer position.
Good luck on your maiden.
Tom
123READY TURN
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

iamtom wrote:Tim the suggested C/G for the Sweet ver is 2 1/16 not 2 5/16". Unless you have experience at this C/G i would start off at the safer position.
Tom
Thanks Tom. :)

I know we already played this out over messenger, but I wanted to open up the discussion to solicit other opinions.

When I flew Danny Coe’s Sweet Vee at Wichita I noticed the throws appeared extremely low when you watch the deflections on the ground. But in the air the plane flew great around the course – it was docile and easy to fly!

When I flew my own Sweet Vee here at home this fall I started out with the C.G. at the prescribed 2-1/16” and control throw that looked about right. But the plane didn’t leave the ground as quickly as I wanted and I kept having to increase the elevator throw to get it to fly the way I wanted. The throw ended up being higher than what I remembered on Danny’s.

So I began moving the C.G. back simultaneously reducing the throw. I finally had the C.G. at 2-11/32” and the throws wherever (I don’t have my notes here with me now). Now I’m super-happy with the way the plane flies around the course and it leaves the ground well. But this winter I re did the fuel tank installation requiring removal of some tail ballast, so at this moment the C.G. on my Sweet Vee No. 1 has moved forward to the aforementioned 2-5/16” which I have duplicated on my Sweet Vee No. 2.

More comments on Sweet Vee C.G. are welcome!

Tim
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

KRProton wrote:
iamtom wrote:Tim the suggested C/G for the Sweet ver is 2 1/16 not 2 5/16". Unless you have experience at this C/G i would start off at the safer position.
Tom
Thanks Tom. :)

More comments on Sweet Vee C.G. are welcome!

Tim

All I have to say is DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT listen to Mike Helsel. :mrgreen:

I think I started out at 2.125" and ended up with a quarter or two on the tail, never checked it after the first time. Randy Smith raced my Sweet Vee (And still may be) perhaps he can shed some light.

DK
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

Thanks guys.

I'm not necessarily asking for advice and am content with my throws and C.G. on my Sweet Vee, I guess I'm just second-guessing myself a little now and looking for any red flags. But I've arrived at what I have now by actual test-flying, so should be good. :D

If you started out at 2-1/8" and added two quarters to the tail, you MUST BE at least 2-1/4".

Thanks!

Tim
RSmith
Super Contributor

Post by RSmith »

Tim / Dan
I have been flying most all of my Sweet-V's including the one I bought from Dan at 2-3/8" with no problems.
I like the response. The original that I bought from Darrol way back, was at 2-1/16" and I could hardly turn it with my normal throws.

Dan, your red Sweet-V is now in the hands of Kevin Moorehouse. He will treat it well. It may be in Phoenix as a backup.

Randy

Post by MLH »

DK,

Good advice, in fact I often don't listen to myself either! I do tend to fly tail heavy airplanes. However I must say after over 4 decades of racing pylon I have found that a slightly nose heavy airplane is more stable and easier to fly than a slightly tail heavy airplane. That said, a slightly tail heavy airplane is faster than a slightly nose heavy airplane. So everyone should fly slightly nose heavy airplanes as I need all the help I can get! :D

Mike
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

MLH wrote:DK,

Good advice, in fact I often don't listen to myself either! I do tend to fly tail heavy airplanes. However I must say after over 4 decades of racing pylon I have found that a slightly nose heavy airplane is more stable and easier to fly than a slightly tail heavy airplane. That said, a slightly tail heavy airplane is faster than a slightly nose heavy airplane. So everyone should fly slightly nose heavy airplanes as I need all the help I can get! :D

Mike
I don't think you need any help Mike! :mrgreen:

Just to further the discussion (and I'm not telling you anything you don't already know), the throws and C.G. work together. It's just that I recalled the throw on Danny Coe's Sweet Vee that he loaned me to finish the rounds at Wichita had such little throws - like 2mm up elevator maybe. With my limited experience, that seemed small to me, but the plane was easy to fly around the course (much like my first Quik-V6 when set up per Jim Allen's throws which also seemed minimal to me). As I continued to dial in my own Sweet Vee I moved the C.G. back while reducing the throws until it handled gently like Danny's - and I liked it! :D

Tim
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

KRProton wrote:
MLH wrote:DK,

Mike
I don't think you need any help Mike! :mrgreen:

Just to further the discussion (and I'm not telling you anything you don't already know), the throws and C.G. work together. It's just that I recalled the throw on Danny Coe's Sweet Vee that he loaned me to finish the rounds at Wichita had such little throws - like 2mm up elevator maybe. With my limited experience, that seemed small to me, but the plane was easy to fly around the course (much like my first Quik-V6 when set up per Jim Allen's throws which also seemed minimal to me). As I continued to dial in my own Sweet Vee I moved the C.G. back while reducing the throws until it handled gently like Danny's - and I liked it! :D

Tim
Tim,

Not exactly always the case. You can get away the notion when the tail moment and tail area work out in your favor. However, when you have a small horizontal stab or a short tail moment, you may need more throw to get your desired result. Prime example is the Polecat or Supercat, when the CG gets too far back it is a hot mess. So what do you do? Move the CG forward and give it more throw, and it flies like a champ.

DK