Stay Frosty

Pylon Racing General Interest --
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Re: Stay Frosty

Post by DonStegall »

We will be selling the Mako Shark for $500 initially.

We just hired our first part-timer on Sunday. His name is Chris Avise (pronounced like Avis Car Rentals) https://www.facebook.com/chris.avise.1. He is a Contributor for http://makesomemusictv.com ... See http://makesomemusictv.com/contributors. He plays guitar and is learning to sing.

Initially he will be filling the jars for our Epoxy Filler line. We are going Amazon Prime on Cab-o-sil, Cotton Flock, and White Micro-Spheres, in the US, Canada, Mexico, Europe, and Japan, and we need more than I can do on the weekends.

I will begin teaching him fiberglass in the next week or two, then we will move to composites. Both the Shark and the Swee' Pea will be for sale. The Swee' Pea will be $400 to start with. Then I will have the fully molded composite Smasher and Martin with new tails for both.

I would prefer to sell only the neon Shark first. It uses a different wing holding method than the other one. I will take pictures of the neon panels tonight. If you or someone else buys the neon plane, I will do a new set of wing panels for $150 and you can change the panel holding method to a lighter system.

The neon yellow one was Jerry Small's, and Dub Jett did testing with it. I would like to keep it in memory of Jerry, but I'm sure he would like a better pilot than me to enjoy it. I have been told it is a sweet flying plane. It just needs a little work to get the engine runs better and it will be plenty fast.

I will be using on each panel, two rare earth magnets and one bolt to hold the wing on. It has two pins and you can adjust the angle if needed by enlarging and potting the new locations.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

Instead of posting to "Lee Von Der Hey's thread", I will post here.

Yes, I'm now actively posting. Both here and on Facebook. I have a very large following on Facebook. Thousands of people follow me and my Facebook pages.

I am not posting here to promote my business. I'm just sharing some of what I do.

I posted about the Smasher and the Martin. That was a clean sheet of paper design other than using the NACA 66-012 airfoil. I designed it, built jigs for the prototypes. Then built the plugs on the jigs. I did not use CNC because of the cost, and I knew I could produce production quality products for my own use whether I sold any or not.

I have acquired a lot of Q40 molds. I have also produced a Q40 fiberglass fuselage with no wing saddle and stab saddle.

I'm getting ready to carve a plug for a plane to be called The Mule. It will have a much lower frontal area again with no wing saddle, stab saddle, or fin. I want to be able to test prototype Q40 wings, moments, and tail designs before committing to a fuselage design.

I do a LOT of building when I'm active in R/C.

I'm working on bringing out more EF1 laser cut kits so that people have a good supply and to help the class.

If I'm going to put so much effort into these projects, I want the sport and people to benefit from what I have to offer.

I advertise in the NMPRA newsletter, and all of my orders, even from Amazon go out with the NMPRA newsletter.

Just Thursday night, I shipped 34 units of 8 ounce Cab-o-sil to an Amazon warehouse. The 22 boxes and 12 bags have the NMPRA application in them along with the filler instruction sheet. This is our first product to become an Amazon FBA (Fulfilment By Amazon) item and they have wanted me to do Seller Fulfilled Prime for a while. After we know that we have all of the labels Amazon requires correct, we will begin shipping the fillers all over the world so people in Canada for instance don't have to deal with international shipping and duties. Selling on Amazon is quite complex when you take it to the level we are taking it.

Cindy helps produce the products. But demand is so high I can't keep up with the filling of jars. So I have a musician working with me on http://makesomemusictv.com, https://www.facebook.com/MakeSomeMusic.TV, and https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCatcV_ ... AepriyY2dw ... This was Chris Avise's first video recording ever. He is helping with the fillers, and will be learning fiberglass and composite work. He gets paid for the hobby work and will be a shareholder in the music concept company. He wants to learn all about music and all about R/C. I just can't have him ready to call for me by the OJA race. But he may come to the NATS with me so I don't have to drive all the way there and back, and to help me with my equipment.

Making some money off of the hobby business helps justify the mounds of money I spend on my hobbies.

Fortunately, Cindy believes in me, and is ok with how I run our household. I am very luck to have a wife like that.

Frosty
Attachments
Ripple Stats.jpg
Satriani Stats.jpg
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

Well I have decided that I am going to continue to post to the NMPRA forums regardless of the people who don't like me posting here.

First and foremost, I do advertise in the NMPRA Newsletter. I also include the printed full color NMPRA application with all orders that go out of our business.

Even on Amazon orders.

And recently, we began shipping Cab-o-sil to Amazon in bulk. The product at https://amzn.to/2Y4ECg6 is now an Amazon Prime item and people are already ordering for 1 day and 2 day delivery. We have to get more to Amazon soon.

Tonight, 8 ounce Cotton Flock is going to FBA (Fulfillment By Amazon) as well. It is one of the top sellers. It is going in 4 ounce on Monday. Plus White Micro-Spheres are going in 4 ounce on Monday. The whole epoxy filler line should be available as Prime items by April 1, 2019.

Why does this matter to you guys? Most of you already have the fillers you need. But we're putting the attachments to this message in with the filler boxes and bags including the NMPRA application.

I don't dislike the NMPRA. I dislike people who make personal attacks a regular occurance that won't even give me a call. If you have a problem with me, give me a call and let's talk pylon and good times. All I want to do is have fun.

I shipped some Smashers to some people and while they like them, they don't feel comfortable posting here. I know of many people who read these forums, but do not post. And A number of those people don't do Facebook either. Yes, I sell stuff, but my main goal is supporting pylon racing in all of its forms.

For the people who like Facebook, I have created a page https://www.facebook.com/AMAPylonRacing currently called "The Independent AMA and NMPRA Pylon Racing Page" and it has the NMPRA logo as the profile photo. If objections are raised to mentioning the NMPRA and using the logo, I will consider changing it. So far it has about 72 Likes. That is after one week.

We all love pylon. I wake up to a 3 pole course on the field behind my house all the time. The 30+ floods of the field over the past year knocked down #2 and #3 as they were not staked down. I will be lucky to get on the field to mow it before the NATS. It may even be into the fall. I used to keep the 2 pole course up. See my field at StegallHobbyPark.com. Check out the videos on this page http://stegallhobbypark.com/videos

This video was done several years ago. Probably 2015 or 2016. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFWNU5K3mzk

I love 3 pole racing. I do it on the simulator a lot. I had not done it much recently, but Mark Ackerman of CarolinaCustomKits.com and HobbyExpress.com visited me on Monday and I was way out of practice. So now I'm trying to get 15-30 minutes of practice on a 3 pole course in every day. Mark brought me a Mini Telemaster Kit http://hobbyexpress.com/mini-telemaster-kit-4-channel/ to do a video build with and I'm going to start it this weekend.

Mark liked what he saw of the Estrellita EF1 / Shark EF1 plugs and molds. I should have those finished by April 1 also. No foolin' this time.

The molds for the Proud Bird EF1 fiberglass parts that are replacements for the plastic parts are well on their way and should be finished this weekend. Just a few more layups and then I see if I can get them to release.

I also have male molds for the stabilizer on the Mako Shark Q40 that should be done by the end of the weekend.

I will be creating videos and documents for the thread here Tutorials for Stabilization and Telemetry on Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, FrSky Taranis X9D, and more because a lot of people just haven't see the real and best ways to get started with this stuff.

I welcome comments and even criticism. Just not personal attacks. Suggestions like the ones I got about not using 2 screw HS-85MG or HS-5085MG servos in my Swee' Pea Q40 are very helpful. While I still believe they would be ok, if I don't go to 4 screw servos and something happens, I could be accused of negligence. Not a good thing. So 4 screw servos are going on all control surfaces of my Q40 planes, except for some slim wing servos in the Mako Shark Q40 wings.

Don't let my postings interfere with your good times here. If Trey wants to move a thread to a different forum here, so be it, and no problem.

If you Stay Frosty, I will stay Frosty. I'm not getting into anymore topics here other than R/C Pylon Racing and pursuit of a good time flying toy airplanes for fun and competition. Please try not to be a tool or a troll.
Attachments
Instructions - Fillers V8.pdf
(87.06 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
The Club 40 Racer laser cut kit is available from Amazon and Stegall Hobbies - V3.pdf
(388.68 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Application.pdf
(126.85 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

If you don't follow me on Facebook, you missed this:

I bet you remember these Adam Talmadge

The cargo rocket was either my first or second rocket. Maybe the third at the latest. The kids came from around the neighborhood when I shot this one off. Especially if I used B14 center burning engines.
IMG_0206_1024.jpg
The big red one is missing a fin and the nose cone. I hope to find those one of these days. This was my first D class rocket. I remember very well shooting it over the Talmadge's house. It dropped more than I expected in the high winds and only cleared their house by 15-20 feet. But it did clear and then drifted within 50 feet of where we launched it.
IMG_0207_1024.jpg
I have a 3 engine cluster cargo rocket in storage either here or at Dad's ( Jim Stegall ) house.

My father is responsible for my love of aviation and all things mechanical. I have passed a lot of that to Matthew Stegall and he will pass it on to his kids with Kristen Rivera Stegall I'm sure. Matt is an awesome son and Kristen is a wonderful daughter-in-law. They will get their Christmas guitars back one of these days. Hopefully by next weekend.

I learn things from Matt all the time.

This morning I had Cindy Naylor Stegall playing my little $80 Rogue Lap Steel guitar. She gave me good tips on how to show people how to play it. So I learn from her as well.

I learn and remember things because of the messages here.

Thank you for your indulgences. :)
Ed Alves wrote: Lost mine, first launch. Make shift coat hanger launcher shifted as she ignited, 45 degrees is a poor launch angle apparently. Lol!!! Thanks for the memory!
Adam Talmadge wrote:I do remember Donnie! You turned Lakeview into Cape Canaveral!
Social Media is invaluable for remembering things and sharing with others. Some people may think I post too much, but things like this save me a lot of time and effort:
sahartman21 wrote:Don,

We have been experimenting with the FrSky S6R receiver.

1) The receiver works fine with electric and typical 40 powered models.
2) We had issues when using the receiver with Q40 models.

The extra vibration appeared to be the problem with a Q40 model. I removed the received and shook the receiver. The vibration had wallered out the case until the board was vibrating around in the case.

I suspect that these issues can be overcome. We have some thoughts but they have not been tried at this point in time.
I will not take a chance on a $1K+ Q40 if this is the case.

I will limit my FrSky stuff to less expensive and maybe on electric powered planes until I can at least try FrSky on a 424 plane.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

Cindy gave me this back in 2003 or so after I had been flying full scale planes from 1995 to 2000, then started back in R/C when we moved in this house in 2000.

"Bearon" has been a constant companion sitting on the corner of my stereo receiver and guitar equipment rack in my upstairs office every since I got him.
IMG_0225_1024.jpg
IMG_0228_1024.jpg
We still have boxes marked "Beanie Babies" with her collection in them. I think it is time that collection came out of the boxes.

Since the house is getting cleaned up in the "Big Cleanup" that should be done inside by summer and outside by the end of the summer, it is time to add some collections back into the decor.

The Miniature guitar collection has some recent additions, but is getting moved upstairs to my office as soon as I get some shelves painted and mounted.
IMG_0235_1024.jpg
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

As posted on Facebook today:
If you ever get to where walking from the bed to the bathroom has you exhausted and out of breath, it's time to head to the hospital ER.

I'm probably lucky to be alive. I had gotten to the point where I was out of breath before even getting out of bed. We finally got to the ER at around 3:30 pm on Saturday after hours of me getting showered and shaved.

I was blaming my symptoms on my blood sugar hitting 300-500+ and my A1C being at 11.9.

It turned out to be DVT/PE with a clot in my left leg and clots in my right lung.

Heparin probably saved my life. But is is weird having blood coming out of places that usually don't bleed much if any.

I'm home as of mid-day Tuesday and now taking Eliquis. And a lot of prescription changes.

But it sure is nice to be able to walk up and down the steps again after about a month or more of it being very difficult.

This may have started weeks or months ago. I know it was at least 3 weeks in the making. The clots are probably still there and I have to take it easy (physically), but I can now think more clearly again, and hopefully can start playing guitar again.

Cindy Rena Naylor Stegall had DVT/PE in 2014 and we still didn't catch my symptoms until it was almost too late.

It's good to be home and it's good to be back.
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Post by airplanescotty »

Talk your doc out of as much, free sample,,, Eliquis as you can,,, expensive!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
QTR ~ Waste Not A Moment!!!!!
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

airplanescotty wrote:Talk your doc out of as much, free sample,,, Eliquis as you can,,, expensive!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Scotty,

Have you had DVT/PE? Or are you taking Eliquis for something else?

I have Remicade IV infusions every 4 weeks ar over $40,000 each. So I hit my out of pocket maximum as soon as the bills are processed early in the year. I usually only have to pay for prescriptions for a month or two at the start of the year. My Eliquis was no charge on Tuesday. I have a $6500 "cover charge" per year just for living.

One of the big issues while I was in the hospital was critically low potassium. With the Crohn's and even with the meds I take, nothing stays in my system long and I don't absorb potassium. So now I have to crush the potassium pills and mix it with diet applesauce

My Type II Diabetes is a big factor now as I had seen an endocrinologist a little over a week before the hospitalization and my A1C was 11.9. My sugar had been running in the 300-500+ range. I had started a new job working for my boss from 1997-2000 and he does Keto. I had started trying to work towards Keto. It had gotten my sugar to where it usually wasn't much over 300. My A1C had already come down to 11.4 by the time I went to the ER.

I have felt so bad for the past month or two that I have done next to nothing with model airplanes. I was about to give up on R/C. But I feel so much better now, I'm going to get into the shop today.

Obviously I won't make the AMA Pylon NATS this year. Maybe next year though.

I have not played any guitar for the past month or two either. But I played some Tuesday night, and some last night.

It is much easier to do things when you feel decent.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

To all my friends,

I'm still recovering from the DVT/PE blood clots that hospitalized me on June 30, 2019. In fact on Friday at the hospital and just had a CT Angio Chest to see if the clots in my lungs have cleared up.

I've had so many health issues since June of 2017 when I had kidney failure. Both myself and my wife have had numerous health issues and things have been tough.

I started a new job at Bank of America on June 11. My manager has had to deal with constant doctor visits and tests, and me having to work from home. I was only able to work in the office the full week over the past two weeks.

My flying field behind my house had gotten completely grown over. Like 6 foot tall stuff. One of my neighbors that owns the piece of the field beside mine bush hogged his part and mine. And the neighbor to the right of him has his cut down.

With so many health issues, I haven't even gotten to fly an R/C plane in the past year. I have been able to play some guitar and other instruments occasionally over the past year. But I missed two full months of playing guitar.

I had considered giving up R/C. But I have so many projects that I have the needed equipment for and a large number of unassembled ARF kits and laser cut kits, I just can't give up R/C. I love it too much.

My main workshop upstairs is almost ready for some serious plane building, fiberglass work, and composites work.

Our Amazon store is out stock for Cabosil via Prime, but that should be taken care of in a couple of weeks as we have plenty packaged and on hand for fulfillment by us ordered on Amazon or through us. We have a lot of new epoxy filler options coming and we are working on worldwide sales through Amazon so people don't have to pay for international shipping.

So I will soon be making more R/C related videos. A lot of telemetry and artificial stabilization for FrSky, Spektrum, and other brands.

I've been working on a concept called MakeSomeMusicTV for several years. I really enjoy playing with music even though I'm not very good at playing.

The first video is now on the YouTube channel that is for anyone interested in making music on anything from a smartphone to playing in a symphony.

Thanks to all of you for your support over the years.

Don Stegall

Please check out ...

Gil Carlson - Guitar Scales Preview - Episode 1

See the first video he has made for me at https://youtu.be/iRKcc-T94sE on the http://MakeSomeMusic.TV YouTube channel or https://youtu.be/_y9w4TZmFW0 on my personal YouTube channel http://DonStegall.com

Gil Carlson is a new friend that has been playing guitar for around 40 years and he lives in the Charlotte, North Carolina metro area

He is very accomplished and I hope to have him making contributions to http://MakeSomeMusicTV.com and http://MakeSomeMusic.TV

I'm learning a lot from him about jazz, blues, guitar feel, and so much more

We're both guitar collectors and he has some really nice equipment

Please subscribe to the YouTube channel at http://MakeSomeMusic.TV and many new videos are coming soon.

Please visit and like the Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/MakeSomeMusic.TV

Thanks for your support