2019 NMPRA Q40 Championship race

Pylon Racing General Interest --
KRProton
Super Contributor

Re: 2019 NMPRA Q40 Championship race

Post by KRProton »

I was asked to publish a write up of this year’s Champ race, so here it is!

It takes a small army of dedicated people who work extremely hard to put on an efficient, first-class event such as this year’s Champ race, but I have to begin by singling out the most selfless person I know; Trey Witte. Trey has a lot going on in his life, and he’s a dedicated pylon racer himself who would surely love to be out there on the course with us, so watching Trey labor through the event makes me extraordinarily thankful. There are many people to thank for the weekend, but it starts with Trey and I don’t think the OJA events would happen without him.

Of course, we are also thankful to the person responsible for providing this superb venue to begin with; Mike Langlois. I know Mike is extremely pleased seeing everybody in attendance and hopefully having a good time. We are fortunate to have such a generous person with the means to provide this wonderful venue.

Next to Mike and Trey, there’s a long list of people to thank from the starter Jim Katz, to Mike’s wife Mable as well as all the course workers and the cart drivers. I remember Clyde, Allan and Greg Doe and the fuel station monitor Alexis and his wife I’m sorry I’ve forgotten her name.

For me, the event began a week earlier – I was able to make the short three-hour drive down to OJA to sneak in a Saturday practice session with Mike Helsel and a couple other guys. Even then, a week before the race, there was Trey and Dean Stone on the mowers, tractors and other lawn equipment preparing the site for us.

My wife Wendy and I arrived for the practice on Friday to get in some test flights – as I understand it, some had been there a couple days before. But it was hot! The temps were 100F in neighboring Charlotte, and I don’t think it was much cooler at the site. The warm temperatures may have slowed the testing a little, so you could pretty much fly as much as you wanted without a long wait. There were five or six golf carts on-hand for transportation between the pits and the course. What service!

As forecasted, a dramatic drop in temperature made for cool race conditions (and low times!) on Saturday. I wasn’t prepared, so I had to dig out my T-shirt rags to put on under my regular shirt. I had on two raggedy T-shirts plus my regular shirt and a sweat shirt and was still cold for most of the morning! In actuality, it turned out to be absolutely perfect pylon racing conditions because it warmed just enough and the sun was concealed all day. I was talking to Mike Langlois about this and he noted that he had never seen so many low times in the 60s. If you look, half of the field finished with low times below 61 seconds!

We got in five rounds on Saturday. There were no equipment or judging issues that I was are of, the cart drivers delivered us to and from the course safely and promptly and we finished around 3:00. There may have been a couple, but I don’t recall any mid-airs or carnage on Saturday. Personally, I was concerned about the downwind takeoffs. The wind may have reached ten or twelve mph on Saturday, but proved not to be an issue. We all landed into the wind from pylon 1 for no landing issues either. I should also mention that we flew three-plane heats with racehorse takeoff. Same as the Mike Tallman race, this made everything easy and wasn’t a problem. The takeoff pad at OJA is pretty generous.

The rounds went quickly on Saturday with thirteen heats to a round. There may have been a few practice runs afterward, and before you know it, it was “on” again for Sunday.

The weather Sunday started out a little nicer (warmer) than Saturday. I shed my two T-shirts around 9:00am and exchanged my long pants for short pants promptly thereafter. It became slightly warm in the afternoon, but still just about perfect weather! Sunday delivered a little more carnage with a couple mid-airs, a bad-air and only the one pylon strike that I can recall, but still unusually low I’d say. As the rounds continued, the scoreboard was getting crowded at the top with Lloyd Burnham, Craig Korsen, Dub Jett, and Mike Helsel in the running for 1st.

At the end of the event’s TEN rounds, there was a flyoff for 7th between Robert Vess, Randy Smith and Gary Jr. I watched the race, and I cannot recall for certain, but I think Gary cut out while Robert and Randy may have both been clean with Randy taking the win for 7th.

The next flyoff was for 3rd between Lloyd and Mike. Lloyd was at the top of the standings for a little while and had been going good and steady all weekend. When the flag dropped I think it was Lloyd out front with Mike chasing, but pretty soon you could see Mike’s plane slowing and hear the engine laboring and it worked out to be a pretty uneventful race with Lloyd taking the win to secure 3rd place overall.

Now for all the marbles! (Actually, beautiful trophies provided by Tom Scott.) The flyoff for 1st between Dub and Craig. Now Craig had been fast all weekend. Every time Craig flew it was easy to pick out his plane because he was flying so well and he was so fast. Of course, Dub was there too, so who knows what will happen in the flyoff! Craig got to the pole first with Dub close behind. But on about the 2nd lap, as memory serves, Dub either caught Craig’s bad air around pylon 1 or just made a bobble taking him pretty much out of contention. Maybe trying too hard to get it back, Dub had a cut and we all know the rest. Congratulations to Craig Korsen and his caller Terry Frazer for taking the overall!

I think it was all finished by 3:00. The weather may have been a bit of a concern at first, but in the end proved out to be pretty much perfect both days.

OJA is a great venue because of all the qualified workers, the generous takeoff pad, the bullet-proof equipment, long and smooth runway and generosity of all involved.

Thanks again Mike Langlois, Trey Witte, Dean Stone, Jim Katz, everyone else and way to go Craig Korsen!

Tim Lampe
Attachments
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
014.jpg
Last edited by KRProton on Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

More Champ race images...
Attachments
005.jpg
008.jpg
009.jpg
010.jpg
012.jpg
015.jpg
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

...and more...
Attachments
017.jpg
018.jpg
019.jpg
020.jpg
021.jpg
022.jpg
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

more...
Attachments
024.jpg
025.jpg
026.jpg
027.jpg
029.jpg
031.jpg
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

more Champ race...
Attachments
033.jpg
034.jpg
035.jpg
036.jpg
037.jpg
038.jpg
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

Final Champ race images from me...
Attachments
039.jpg
040.jpg
041.jpg
042.jpg
cbk07
Super Contributor

Post by cbk07 »

Tim,

Thank you for taking the time for the well thought write up and kind words. I echo every sentiment you have about the team at the Old Julian Air Races. Mike and Mabel not only share with us the most beautiful pylon racing facility in the world, but have also put together the most dedicated, talented and friendly group of volunteers possible, selflessly giving up their weekend (or in some cases their entire week) to make sure that we are able to do what we love in the best possible manner, Add to that excellent weather and a great group of friends/competitors and it is easy to see why the OJA Air Races are so successful. Every time I go there, they seem to find a way to improve on perfection. Zero re-flys after 133 heats is a stat that will be tough to beat. Trey and Jim kept things fun but efficient on the line, JC and Christine did an amazing job all weekend keeping us moving to the line and staying right on top of scoring, Greg, Allan and Clyde worked in sync shagging planes and moving racers ( a special thanks to Allan and Greg for the encouragement on the rides to the line!!), Dean Stone for camping out there all week working long before we arrived and after we left every day to make sure the field was in top shape with as few of those people eating ants as possible, and ALL of the timers, judges, and other behind the scenes workers that sit in the sun all day so we can race. I did not hear one scoring, judging or timing complaint all weekend.....again, unheard of. I know there are several people I have missed, but THANK YOU to all of you.

On a personal note, this had to be the most memorable race yet for our team. Three of us in the top six and two of us setting our personal best times shows how much we support each other. I think all of us under our tent work harder for our team mates than ourselves and that had a lot to do with our success this past weekend (along with a bit of good luck for all of us at just the right times). Lloyd, Terry and Danny, Thank you! Your friendships are priceless to me. There are also a few guys that have given up a lot of their personal time both before and at the races (you know who you are) teaching me how to set up planes and motors. I sincerely appreciate all of your help, knowledge and support . This is something in pylon that did not exist just a short time ago and also something that allowed half of the field to fly 60 seconds or better. Thank you guys.

Finally, I want to congratulate anyone who received one of those beautiful trophies Tom Scott provided!
Especially Gino on his fast time (now I know why they call him a 'machine') and Mike and Dub for the tough battles and great finishes. You two have been a world class team for so long and continue to impress all of us. I am so lucky and happy to be in all of your company and look forward to seeing everyone at a race soon.

Until next time,

Craig
RobertV
Super Contributor

Post by RobertV »

As I reflect back on the weekend's race activities, I'll have to wholeheartedly agree with Tim and Craig's assessment that the people are what make this sport amazing. First, you have Mike Langlois whose passion for racing has benefited so many of us from his continuation of manufacture and quality standardization of the great Nelson engines (every one of which has his personal touch in chroming, honing, assembling, etc.) to the creation and maintenance of the most fantastic pylon racing site on the planet (the mecca that is OJA), and, finally, to his willingness to mentor and share his expertise, resources, and property for us to join in the amazing fun that hard-core racing affords and have our own success. This passion spreads across the OJA locals, who, led by the efforts of Trey Witte, Dean Stone, Jim Katz, and the the entire Langlois family stage and execute some of the best racing events (and casual practice sessions) around! And these guys are just fun to hang-out with.

Next, you have similar core groups of guys that spread their racing enthusiasm and skill across all regions of the country that not only make racing fun, but keep people coming back for more and, hopefully, continue to draw others into the excitement.

We all come together as a bunch of "A-personalities" and fierce competitors at races like this weekend's Champ Race at OJA with steely determination to overcome everyone and win. But, as you look around, everyone shares their time, setups, equipment, and compassion to make sure that everyone has the best opportunity to give them the best race possible. That's so very commendable. As a case in point, I was swapping out engines looking for more speed on Friday and Dean Stone walks over and hands me his best NATS bullet, just as Mike Langlois has done for me countless times. This "I want you to do well" attitude extends across the entire pit area not only at this race, but all races. This brotherhood of racers is something I am happy and fortunate to be a part of. We all want to win, but we sincerely cheer each other on just as much.

I love the challenge of "big league" pylon racing. It's hard to balance all the many things required to have consistent performance and win. But that makes it that much more valuable when you do so. And I'm learning more and more with each practice and race. This is a technical wonderland for an engineer-geek like me.

Thanks to all of you for making this sport the great thing that it is and here's to much more of it. And that was one great NMPRA Champ Race. Congrats to all the winners. You certainly earned it!
Robert Vess
Raleigh, NC