Phoenix Winter Races 2020

Pylon Racing General Interest --
jima
Super Contributor

Phoenix Winter Races 2020

Post by jima »

Hi All,

(Revised 11/21)

Wanted to get the dates posted for the Speedworld RC Club Phoenix winter races posted. See below.

Dates:
Winterfest 426/EF1 - Jan 11/12, Friday 10th dedicated to practice, through Thu, share time with sport flyers.
QM Classic 422 - Feb 8/9, Thu & Fri dedicated to practice, through Wed, share time with sport flyers.

Roy Andrassy will be handling the entries again this year (Thanks Roy!!!). Flyers for the two races are attached below. Similar weekends to last year with the Feb race on the second weekend of the month to get away from the expensive hotel rates at the end of the month. Worked well last year.

The club officers have decided to allow us to accept entry payments with PayPal in addition to the traditional methods. The email address to use to send the PayPal payments is on the flyers. PLEASE, include in the payment notes the event (Wfest or QM) the payment is for and AMA number of the entry. For entries sent by PayPal, please send Roy Andrassy the filled out entry form or an email that includes all of the information asked for in the form. Please say in that email that you have made payment by PayPal.

PLEASE, talk to the racers who you want to team with so we only have teams of 3. This will greatly simplify things for all involved and will be greatly appreciated by Roy and myself.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Jim Allen
Attachments
2020 Wfst flyer.pdf
2020 Winterfest Flyer/Entry Form
(30.74 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
2020 QM Classic Flyer.pdf
2020 Phx QM Classic Flyer/Entry Form
(35.03 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
Last edited by jima on Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
sahartman21
Super Contributor

Re: Phoenix Winter Races 2020

Post by sahartman21 »

Have you posted the flyer for the two Phoenix Races?
Scott Hartman
Fritch, TX 79036
jima
Super Contributor

Post by jima »

See above.

Jim
Expresso Pylon Racer
Super Contributor

Post by Expresso Pylon Racer »

:D
jima
Super Contributor

Post by jima »

Hello everyone. Only a few days till the Winterfest. The club is looking forward to hosting the race. Thought I'd post a couple of things. Roy has been doing a great job of handling all the entries and we're looking good. Would like to see a few more in EF1 if anyone would like to fly both that and 426. It's going to be chilly with morning temps in the mid-30's and warming up into the 50's so bring layers.

We will have security at the field from 6PM to 6AM Friday and Saturday nights.

Wanted to remind folks coming from the Phoenix airport that the best way to get directly to the field is by taking I-10 West to the loop 303 north. That will take you all the way up to Grand Ave/Highway 60. Saves about 5-15 minutes vs the Loop 101 and Grand Ave, depending on how much traffic is on Grand from the Loop 101 to the field.

Also, for those who might be travelling to or from the Tucson area along I-10, there is a new section of freeway that goes around the south side of the mountains and intersects I-10 in the west Phoenix area at 51st avenue, avoiding the traffic in central Phoenix.

We have the Diner on Wheels food trailer arranged for food both Saturday and Sunday this coming weekend and they're excited to serve everyone. You'll need to make your own arrangements for lunch food Thursday and Friday.

Please remember that race practice is sharing the field with any sport flyers on Thursday. Please be courteous and considerate by taking turns so they can get flights in too. Friday is dedicated to race practice.

If you're bringing a generator to charge your EF1 packs, please bring an extension cord so it can be placed in front of the first row of cars. We aren't allowing any gen's directly in the pits or the area between the pits and the first row of cars.

Make sure you get Tony Lopez or Roy to inspect your planes BEFORE you fly. Make sure your AMA is current and you have your FAA number on your planes. Also please speed the inspections by having your transmitter with you AND your fail safe properly set.

Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend. Have a safe trip.

Jim
GaryS
Super Contributor

Post by GaryS »

Just to clarify a bit on Jim's comment about the new freeway for those driving from Tucson. The new freeway is the 202. It intersects I-10 just north of the Wild Horse Pass Raceway (formerly Firebird Raceway), just as you get into Chandler. I used it this weekend and it's a big time saver over driving by the airport and downtown.
GS
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

Congrats to Matias and Dan Kane!

Glad that I knew someone who was there and was willing to share the results with me via text!!!
ceandra
Super Contributor

Post by ceandra »

Results
IMG_20200112_141517.jpg
IMG_20200112_141249.jpg
jima
Super Contributor

Post by jima »

Thanks to everyone who was able to make this years Winterfest such a success. The Speedworld club really appreciates the continued support of our races. Al Pilon (club President) and I are so proud of the way our club comes together to put on these events. I want to especially thank Roy Andrassy and his huge efforts downloading tasks from me to ease the workload. Its very appreciated. The quality of the racing was amazing.

Chuck, thanks for posting the results.

Now, on to the Feb QM Classic on Feb 8-9. We still have plenty of spots open so don't worry about getting in if you'd like to come but haven't entered yet. With how well the race this past weekend went, we're looking forward to 4 weeks from now.

We have a special treat this year at our February race. Karl Harrod of Harrod Performance Aircraft has graciously built and donated one of his new Caudron C450 Mk2 planes for this race. We've decided that it will be raffled off to one lucky pilot who enters this race. Each pilot entered will get one chance at the raffle and it'll be drawn at the trophy presentation on the 9th. See the pics below. I worked with Karl to put together the AZ scheme for the bottom of the wing and he did a great job of making it happen. I'm currently flying one of these planes and am REALLY looking forward to using it at the race. I really like it.

So, get those plans made and send Roy your entry to enjoy a great weekend of racing in AZ and get a chance at this cool plane. As noted previously, we are now taking PayPal for entry payments.

Take care and hope to see a lot of you in about 4 weeks.

Jim
DSCN0965.JPG
DSCN0957.JPG
ceandra
Super Contributor

Post by ceandra »

Oh, my. That is beautiful! Can I enter twice?

Thanks for the great racing. I know the club works hard to put these on. The officiating was great this year, the turn lights were spot-on. Weather not too shabby either!

Looking forward to the Classic

Chuck
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

Can I enter and get a ticket? Prolly can't make the race. I think it would be a good idea if you let this happen. Maybe allow past competitors to enter this way. You'll probably make more money for the club as well.
And I said, here am I send me.
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Post by airplanescotty »

While he never wins and only contributes,,,, Scotty, too would be interested in Buying a ticket!!! :oops: :o :wink: :roll: :P :D
QTR ~ Waste Not A Moment!!!!!
Parker
Super Contributor

Post by Parker »

Jim,

Plane looks amazing! I plan to be there so if someone wants to trade tickets with me I’m in. Especially Cranfill. Thanks to you, Roy and all the others that make the Phoenix races a pleasure to attend.

Parker
killerd
Super Contributor

Post by killerd »

Good Job this year at the Q40 Classic. Congrats to Gino for win and Roy, Jim and the club for hosting another fun event. Also, thanks to everyone who made the effort to come from all areas of the planet. That's what makes this race so special. Ben Jones, I hope your fingers heal up well. It's not the same without you flying...

Doug K
twitte
Super Contributor

Post by twitte »

Final standings for the Classic.
B2F9CA4E-3A79-4C5B-B7CF-345C680523B5.jpeg