U.S Nationals 2020

Pylon Racing General Interest --
mikecondon
Super Contributor

U.S Nationals 2020

Post by mikecondon »

Last year I had a Bean Bag (cornhole) contest for the workers. With the overwhelming support from all, the contest for them was greatly appreciated by all. The winners received $100!! 2nd and third received $$ also.
This year I would like to come up with something for all to be a part of!!. LOL I have entertained dance poles under the banquet tent for locals in town to compete on. This idea was shut down by AMA!! lolol I am asking the pylon community for serious ideas to be considered. The winning idea will receive a really really big reward!! I look forward to hearing from you. Your CD for 1 more year??
GaryS
Super Contributor

Re: U.S Nationals 2020

Post by GaryS »

I'd pay for a chance to dunk Condon in a dunk tank.
GS
mikecondon
Super Contributor

Post by mikecondon »

Interesting idea!! FYI...I put a stop on the check!!!!
GaryS
Super Contributor

Post by GaryS »

WHAT!!??
Claudia was going to buy me a new Vette!
GS
RCjunkie
Super Contributor

Post by RCjunkie »

GaryS wrote:I'd pay for a chance to dunk Condon in a dunk tank.
2 wrongs don't make a right But 2 Wrights makes a Airplane
Kevin Matney http://www.Matneymodels.com
734 - 848 - 8195
"IN GOD WE TRUST " 44W
mikecondon
Super Contributor

Post by mikecondon »

I see this was a good idea!!..lol :D
dwc1
Super Contributor

Post by dwc1 »

A couple I was thinking about, if we keep it with a model airplane theme...

RC turkey shoot? Few of us bring some old trainer type airplanes and make passes down the runway while the workers try to shoot paintballs at the airplanes.

Control line balloon bust competition? Have 2 or 3 of the same type airplane ready to fly, and everyone takes a turn at busting balloons.
Chago_N20P
Super Contributor

Post by Chago_N20P »

Speaking of Nats, lets just stay with one matrix and one contest for the 2 days, and do away with qualifying and finals.
We tent to lose people at the end of the prelims (including volunteer workers), and the way the 2 so called wildcards are chosen is not fair for the folks that have been flying for points, get shafted by pot luck election of whoever.

The past year's format has to go.

KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

Chago_N20P wrote:Speaking of Nats, lets just stay with one matrix and one contest for the 2 days, and do away with qualifying and finals.
We tent to lose people at the end of the prelims (including volunteer workers), and the way the 2 so called wildcards are chosen is not fair for the folks that have been flying for points, get shafted by pot luck election of whoever.

The past year's format has to go.

Nobody asked for a discussion about the format, but maybe now is the time to start one - I'll follow Chago's lead. Organizers still have the option of considering these opinions or not, so I suppose no harm in writing. So here are my opinions: I'm with Chago on the single matrix (like last year if memory serves). It just seemed more fluid and so much easier to get through the day. But unfortunately, I still think you need some sort of elimination (qualifying) to get more rounds for those who actually have a chance to win and deserve to have that chance by getting through qualifying. But also same as Chago, I think wild cards should be awarded on some sort of merit.

Tim Lampe
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Post by airplanescotty »

I am of the opinion that after driving a thousand miles, food and gas,, why not be able to fly as much as possible!!!

The fast consistent flyers will remain on the podium, but guys like me would very much enjoy flying the second day, get more practice, as opposed to sitting there with nothing to do or leaving early!!

I have CD'd a couple two day Q-40 races and the competition is excellent!! Plus you add the additional Unknown Factor of two days as opposed to two one day-err's!!! A 200+ mph Two Day Marathon as opposed to two One day Sprints!!!

In closing,,, We are there to Fly, Compete, Visit, and Improve,,,,, Being forced to leave early,,, is simply illogical!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving

Scotty
QTR ~ Waste Not A Moment!!!!!
mikecondon
Super Contributor

Post by mikecondon »

The question was about a different sort of activity for all to be a part of after the days concluded.
As for the format of racing. This is not what I was asking. That will be looked into at another time in the spring.
I still like my Pole dancing contest idea!!!!
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Post by airplanescotty »

What attire did you have in mind,,, Exotic????
mikecondon
Super Contributor

Post by mikecondon »

If I cant get AMA to sign off on the pole dancing contest, then I was viewing other ideas. Maybe a golf chipping contest, or horseshoe contest, Corn hole (bean bag game) event. Maybe even a texas holdem tourny. Still not ruling out the pole contest or dunk condon contest!!!!
Greg Doe
Super Contributor

Post by Greg Doe »

I like the paint ball suggestion. I participated in this as a pilot. We did it as a fund raiser, and everyone had a blast. It's not as easy as you might think, and I'm sure the workers would love it after watching our planes race around the pylons for days.
We used an Avistar, and just flew a straight line down the gun range. The workers could do it for free, and any of the racers would pay a fee to go to a "purse" for the best shorter. What do other people think?
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Post by airplanescotty »

That's an interesting idea!!! The neighbor hood kids loved to try to hit my U-Control plane, throwing rocks while it was in the air,,, no damage ever occurred and we both enjoyed the challenge!

Golfing would be fun,,, have multiple stations, multiple hoola-hoops, colored balls, x number of shots, most points wins, or something :P :o