What'cha workin' on?

Pylon Racing General Interest --
KRProton
Super Contributor

What'cha workin' on?

Post by KRProton »

I wish there was more airplane stuff in the forums, so I thought I'd start this thread. Nothing necessarily important, just something to look at when you check in.

So here's my CMAD Too Sweet that got tangled up with Dennis Cranfil's Wild Turkey after takeoff in the second-to-last round down at the Tangerine. I'm sorry Dennis. I dont know what happened. We got off well and were clear and away toward pylon 1, but here it is. I was quite upset because I had already lost another beautiful Q40 (my black and blue Sweet 1) in a mysterious snap roll at pylon 1 after takeoff during a practice run. After our takeoff mishap there was only one more round to go and I had thrown in the towel and was packed up and ready to drive home. But I didn't want to go out like that and mustered the will to get out my backup and fly the final round to go out on a high note (only to zero-out after getting a double cut!).

Anyway, the wing was totaled, but the fuse was repairable. It had a crack from wing fillet to wing fillet. The rear wing bolt plate was busted in two and the wing fillets were cracked on both sides at the wing bolt plates. I gutted the fuse and put in glass cloth and carbon tow where needed. Then got out the filler, sandpaper and paint. I got a new wing from Tom, but it was white with black and orange trim. Before painting the fuse I put in new front and back wing bolt plates to drill fresh holes for the new wing. (The bolt holes in the new wing didn't quite match up to the bolt holes in the fuse.) I potted the wing to the fuse with clear RTV, then painted just the top of the wing to match the fuse.

Here's a few random pics I have of part of the process.

Feel free to tag on photos and a story about whatever you have going - repairs, building from new, whatever.

Tim Lampe
Attachments
20191217_074617.jpg
20191228_174029.jpg
All fixed. I used dual-stage as a basecoat/primer to get a uniform base, then red single-stage over that. I sanded wet with 2000-grit, then 3000-grit, then two buffing compounds by hand.
All fixed. I used dual-stage as a basecoat/primer to get a uniform base, then red single-stage over that. I sanded wet with 2000-grit, then 3000-grit, then two buffing compounds by hand.
The round tank seems to be favored these days. Sure is easy to install - longer than the oval tank, but easy to fit and lots of room around the sides.
The round tank seems to be favored these days. Sure is easy to install - longer than the oval tank, but easy to fit and lots of room around the sides.
I'm using this one-sided servo tray that glues to just the one wing half.
I'm using this one-sided servo tray that glues to just the one wing half.
20200115_133227.jpg
KRProton
Super Contributor

Re: What'cha workin' on?

Post by KRProton »

Got my yellow Sweet 1 under way. I get them without the firewall installed to save a couple bucks. This time I laser cut the firewall from four pieces of 1/8" ply; the top layer from what I call aircraft ply which has five layers instead of three layers with more common birch ply. It is desired to have the firewall hard, right?

Tim Lampe
Attachments
20200130_110318.jpg
20200130_110325.jpg
20200130_110353.jpg
VooDoo
Contributor

Post by VooDoo »

Started the mods to the Mk1 Caudron mould to convert it to EQ40. I'm going to make a new mould piece to replace the mould that forms the pipe tunnel. To do this I'm using a damaged fuselage that I'll fill and shape the underside of the nose section, once that's done I'll put it back into the mould and make the new mould piece.
Attachments
DSCN0969.JPG
DSCN0970.JPG
DSCN0971.JPG
DSCN0974.JPG
Fly Fast n Left
Super Contributor

Post by Fly Fast n Left »

Not necessarily airframe related but I did get the start of a test stand underway. Unsure on what to mount it on at the moment, deciding between a cinder block or a large wooden block.
Attachments
2AAE1051-9BD4-4160-A880-74CD406EBB23.jpeg
stoned
Super Contributor

Post by stoned »

I'm building a new Hot stuff from Advanced pylon products. Maiden flight is tomorrow.
Attachments
20200215_110435.jpg
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

stoned wrote:I'm building a new Hot stuff from Advanced pylon products. Maiden flight is tomorrow.
MN, that's beautiful Dean! From what I've seen, those things are lightening fast! Good luck man. I'm making great progress on my Sweet 1. Hope to see you out there again in a while!

Best of luck!

Tim
fizzwater2
Super Contributor

Post by fizzwater2 »

Likewise, not an airplane, but working on a new test stand. 1 1/2" oak baseplate, 18 oz tettra tank. Lonnie Finch shot automotive two-part clear on it for me while he was painting airplanes.

I have a small aluminum folding footstool I am thinking of mounting it to, with an eyebolt for a restraining rope/stake. Portable without taking up a lot of room.
Attachments
20200111_140954.jpg
20200201_074218.jpg
20200201_074228.jpg
Out of all the places we could be, this is one of them.
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

Ha ha! That's crazy! Your test stand looks a lot like mine!

My first stand was a piece of 1/2" plywood (with the Jett engine mount bolted to it), but when I bought a new 426 engine I caught on to the rigidity thing with test stands. I tried the cinder block thing, but the bolts wouldn't hold and the engine mount kept coming loose, so I went to an oak block of wood. Two 3/4" sheets glued together to make it 1-1/2" thick. I even potted the engine mount to the block. Going to get bolted to my portable work bench when it's time to run the engine.

I want to consult Dub and Mike Langlois and ask them what are there suggestions for test stands for an article in the Pylon Racing column in Model Aviation.

Tim Lampe
Attachments
stand1.jpg
stand2.jpg
fizzwater2
Super Contributor

Post by fizzwater2 »

Nice, TIm! I also used two pieces of 3/4" oak glued together for the base. Had the 18 oz Tettra around. Three of us in the area have been sharing a test stand for the last couple of years with the same tank on it, and it's great for breaking in the engines. Less refueling to get the job done.

If I get ambitious one of these days, I'll see about bolting the stand to the folding step stool & see how it works out. Otherwise it can be screwed down to one of our benches at the club field. I doubt the neighbors would take very kindly to me breaking in engines in the back yard..
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

Yea, I'm liking a bladder tank. I used a Tetra 6 oz. a couple times, but too much refueling! I didn't realize they make a Tetra that big! (The 18 oz. you have.) I'll have to get me one of those!

...Oops! $40.00 at Central Hobbies! Maybe I'll stick with the DuBro for now.

Tim
Attachments
Tetra 16 oz.jpg
fizzwater2
Super Contributor

Post by fizzwater2 »

a friend picked this one up at a swap meet I think it was, for a lot less...

I think for a test stand, the bladder isn't so important, just use a bigger tank.
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

Got a Shark EF1 going for a friend. The project was provided already framed up, so I'm doing the finish including fitting the plastic...

Tim Lampe
Attachments
20200325_134222.jpg
20200325_072643.jpg
Terry Frazer
Super Contributor

Post by Terry Frazer »

Raise your tank on the stand
Joe Tropea
Super Contributor

Post by Joe Tropea »

Chopping away at a new Strega for the NATS. Apparently my spinner went on a diet!
D9BE8B29-ECA2-4788-9918-5C1930539D00.jpeg
6B20EC9C-3BE0-4152-BF3F-9F9EF29A9FC3.jpeg
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Post by airplanescotty »

The clear tanks allow you to see fuel level,, and before empty avoid going lean!
QTR ~ Waste Not A Moment!!!!!