What'cha workin' on?

Pylon Racing General Interest --
KRProton
Super Contributor

Re: What'cha workin' on?

Post by KRProton »

rocket wrote:Why do you fly differential in the ailerons?
Hi Ray. The forward offset pushrod holes in the servo wheel are to counter the differential introduced by the forward offset clevis pin mounting location in the torque rod arms. As best as I can reckon, this eliminates the differential.

Tim
GaryS
Super Contributor

Post by GaryS »

Because he's smart. LOL
GS
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

GaryS wrote:
Because he's smart. LOL
Ok wise guy, why don't YOU run differential. Don't run out to your shop and set one up so you can take a pic and play smart. I notice these things like a pet peve. I used to run differential but opposite of the way he's doing it because it was tought that the aileron downward motion was more efficient than the upward travel. Or, you wanted it moving more up than down. Well I can tell you it don't make no difference when you are rolling from 45 to 90°.
And I said, here am I send me.
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

About aileron differential in the Quik-V series, go here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpos ... stcount=55

To your point about being able to notice differential or not; probably I would not notice a difference whether any of my planes have correct aileron differential, incorrect aileron differential or no aileron differential. So the reason I set up this Quik-V6 with differential is because another guy (who's experience and opinions I trust) recommended it. :oops:

Man! Is it raining out here! :o

Tim
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

Was doing the ball links for a while. It just seemed unnecessary plus the uneasy feeling of a link possibly falling off "which they have on the wing and stab of planes who use them". Going through inspection you fail if no tube to hold the clevis closed but ball links are ok? I get it with aerobatics to ensure the plane rolls on the correct axis i.e the spinner. Take a low wing model, a high wing model and a mid/center wing model where a rolling manuver is part of the judging then by all means correct it for the low and high wing models. You would be hard pressed in 60 seconds to see any difference at all in pylon.
And I said, here am I send me.
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

rocket wrote:Was doing the ball links for a while. It just seemed unnecessary plus the uneasy feeling of a link possibly falling off "which they have on the wing and stab of planes who use them". Going through inspection you fail if no tube to hold the clevis closed but ball links are ok? I get it with aerobatics to ensure the plane rolls on the correct axis i.e the spinner. Take a low wing model, a high wing model and a mid/center wing model where a rolling manuver is part of the judging then by all means correct it for the low and high wing models. You would be hard pressed in 60 seconds to see any difference at all in pylon.
Ten-four! I feel ya!

Thanks for the discussion Ray. :mrgreen:

Tim
GaryS
Super Contributor

Post by GaryS »

rocket wrote:
GaryS wrote:
Because he's smart. LOL
Ok wise guy, why don't YOU run differential. Don't run out to your shop and set one up so you can take a pic and play smart. I notice these things like a pet peve. I used to run differential but opposite of the way he's doing it because it was tought that the aileron downward motion was more efficient than the upward travel. Or, you wanted it moving more up than down. Well I can tell you it don't make no difference when you are rolling from 45 to 90°.
You obviously have never looked very close at any of my airplanes, as they ALL have a slight amount of differential. :D

It may not make much difference rolling from 45-90...but if you have to roll more than that, it does! And the fact is, nobody flies perfectly. What determines the fastest guys from many of the rest is how well they recover from errors. A properly set up airplane makes it easier to recover quickly, so you lose less time.
GS
GaryS
Super Contributor

Post by GaryS »

GaryS wrote:
rocket wrote:
GaryS wrote:
Because he's smart. LOL
You obviously have never looked very close at any of my airplanes, as they ALL have a slight amount of differential. :D

It may not make much difference rolling from 45-90...but if you have to roll more than that, it does! And the fact is, nobody flies perfectly, so they often have to roll more than 45 degrees at a time. What determines the fastest guys from many of the rest is how well they recover from errors. A properly set up airplane makes it easier to recover quickly, so you lose less time.
GS
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

Got my 2nd Quik-V6 (V7?) with built-up wood wing going. It's the Manzano laser-cut fuse/tail with my wing. The first wing has torque rods. This one will have dual servos outboard.

Should have both at Cincinnati. :D

Tim Lampe
Attachments
20200519_182328.jpg
20200519_171340.jpg
20200519_121146.jpg
20200519_171148.jpg
20200519_171156.jpg
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

Got another Quik-V7 Manzano Lazer Works fuselage going. Wood wing should be close behind...

Tim Lampe
Attachments
20200730_184403.jpg
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

Progress on the above post...

Tim
Attachments
20200806_223758.jpg
20200806_185955.jpg
LittleViking
Super Contributor

Post by LittleViking »

KRProton wrote:Progress on the above post...

Tim
Nice work Tim! Looks a lot better than my Quik-V-7. I love the transparent monokote :D

Leo
Leo Nordell
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

LittleViking wrote:
KRProton wrote:Progress on the above post...

Tim
Nice work Tim! Looks a lot better than my Quik-V-7. I love the transparent monokote :D

Leo
Hey Leo, thanks man! I've got a couple years on you, so I've had more time to develop my skills. Besides, your Quik-V is done well just the same! :mrgreen:

Tim
T.Doe
Super Contributor

Post by T.Doe »

Well finish.my first Quick V-7 up to day and may have to test fly in Muncie tommorow will have to see what happens
Attachments
IMG_20200810_204016948.jpg
fizzwater2
Super Contributor

Post by fizzwater2 »

good luck with the maiden!
Out of all the places we could be, this is one of them.