Mike Tallman Legacy Q40 Race - 10/10-10/11/20

Pylon Racing General Interest --
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Re: Mike Tallman Legacy Q40 Race - 10/10-10/11/20

Post by rs-ssfan »

Thanks Gordon.

We are sitting at 32 pilots now so we will more than likely do 4 plane heats. I'll talk with the pilots on Friday about staggered and racehorse start. :D
DHULEN
Super Contributor

Post by DHULEN »

Looks great Lonnie!!!
Parker
Super Contributor

Post by Parker »

Looks Great Lonnie! Just Like Mike’s! Thanks to you, Cranfill and Freeman Sr. I believe.
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Thanks Guys.
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Jeremy has gotten the grill ready to go for Saturday nights cook out, thanks for your work on that.
imagejpeg_0(5).jpg
And Chop has been practicing to be ready for us starving pilots.
imagejpeg_0(4).jpg
As a reminder, we'll be stopping racing around 4 on Saturday. You'll be welcome to do any test flying you want/need to do until the food is ready.

See you all in a few days.
killerd
Super Contributor

Post by killerd »

I think that was the picture i needed to post to get more entries to CA... Everyone loves BBQ!!!

DK
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Another Mike Tallman Legacy Q40 race is in the books.

I first want to thank all the racers for coming out and supporting this race. I'm pretty sure it means a lot to Vernelle and I know it means a lot to me.

Secondly I want to thank all the people that helped with the giveaway prizes; Dennis Cranfil for the Vendetta, AJ Seaholm for the servos, Gordon McWilliams for the switch and battery, and Jason Duda for getting the 8 channel JR radio and receiver so that we could have a second prize to give away. Neil Martin was the lucky winner of the Vendetta. Neil is a young up and coming racer who's been flying a couple old short nose Dago's. So in a way he was the perfect one to win it because giving a new guy a newer more competitive model is something Mike would have done. Pat Redig was the lucky winner of the JR radio. I'm sure he'll put that to good use.

Third I want to thank Tim Lampe for his work on the trophies. As many of you know Tim is a craftsman and does great work, I couldn't be prouder of the trophies he designed and made, I will happily have him make them for as long as he's willing to.

Now onto the racing part of the weekend. We ended up having a total of 31 pilots sign up. The first time that I can remember us breaking the 30 mark, and I couldn't have been happier. Saturday morning we were greeted with some fog that didn't decide to leave until around 10. The wind was basically nonexistent and the temps were a little warmer than normal in the upper 80s. After a few guys test flew we got the racing going at 10:30. Even with the late start, and some pylon 1 equipment woes, we were able to get in 5 full rounds and be wrapped up by 4:15. After some close racing and a lot of hard fought battles, Brian Richmond and Danny Coe both ended the day clean and tied for first. Brian had posted a blazing fast 1:01.12 giving him the edge over Danny. Myself and Mark Martin were just 1 point down and tied for 3rd. Sunday we didn't have any fog but the winds had picked up, starting out the day in the 5-10 mph range, and were predicted to gain speed through out the day. After a couple hiccups with the pylon 1 equipment, gotta make sure the antenna is screwed in all the way :oops: , we were able to get in 3 rounds before noon. Unfortunately the pylon 1 gremlin came back and I wasn't able to solve it so the last two heats had to run with out p1 lights. Even with the wind there were still several wing tip to wing tip races and several 1:01s, 1:02s and 1:03s posted. Brian continued his smooth and very fast flying all weekend and took home the win ending the weekend 2 points down. He posted several more 1:01s over the weekend but his 1:01.12 stood to give him fast time. A couple cuts at pylon 2 and 3 put me 3 points down but I was able to hold onto the second place finish with a 1:03.05. By the end of racing on Saturday AJ Seaholm was able to get his new Miss Foxy Lady(Miss Michele) pretty well dialed in. He came out on Sunday swinging, posting his best time for the weekend of a 1:02.05 and ended up taking 3rd. Not too bad for a new plane that was set up at the field, test flown on Friday during some pretty windy conditions. I also want to make mention of a couple other guys, Kelly Brown took 14th after a 3 year break due to some health issues and Dan "Chop" Ulledahl ended in 12 in his second race after a 10 year break. Overall I don't remember a lot of carnage, but I will admit with all the pylon 1 issues my memory is a little foggy. I know we lost a couple in practice, unfortunately one of those was the Vendetta that Tim Lampe won at the first Tallman Legacy race, and we had a couple midairs.

Vernelle Tallman took care of us at lunch time cooking us all the hamburgers and brats we wanted, and of course you can't never forget about the melt in your mouth brownies and cookies.

In addition to flying, Chop cooked an amazing steak and baked potatoes dinner for us all to enjoy Saturday night. Not as many people stuck around as I'd hoped but it was still a great time of telling stories and getting our bellies full. I'm hoping to make this a tradition at the Tallman race from now on.

Once again thanks to all the pilots that came out, and for the ones that didn't you missed out on some good tight racing and some really good meals. Hope to see you at the next one. Here are some pictures and the results. Tim I borrowed them from your Facebook post, hope you don't mind. :D
Tallman Results.jpg
AJ takes 3rd place with a new MFL
AJ takes 3rd place with a new MFL
I somehow lucked into 2nd place
I somehow lucked into 2nd place
The man that had the speed all weekend, Brian Richmond
The man that had the speed all weekend, Brian Richmond
Tim's great trophies
Tim's great trophies
Tallman Random 1.jpg
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

A few more pictures that I borrowed from Tim. I really need to get better at taking pictures during the contest.
Saturday mornings foggy start
Saturday mornings foggy start
The remains of the Vendetta Tim won 5 years ago
The remains of the Vendetta Tim won 5 years ago
The team of Tim, Mike and Doug
The team of Tim, Mike and Doug
The fastest team for the weekend, Brian and Matt
The fastest team for the weekend, Brian and Matt
ceandra
Super Contributor

Post by ceandra »

Lonnie:

As always, a great race. Fun times and hard competition. You work your @** off, don't worry about photos! You ALWAYS make sure we have a great time, and you did not let us down. Proud to be flying in memory of Mike!

Chuck
11H
DHULEN
Super Contributor

Post by DHULEN »

Awesome job Lonnie as usual and thanks to all the workers from Wichita Area a lot of work to put on a big race like this and thanks to chop for the great steaks and baked potatoes also I know Rodger burright had a lot to do with rounding up all the help that's a lot of work right there and Jeremy and Ashley world's best starters