Mike Tallman Legacy Q40 Race - 10/10-10/11/20

Pylon Racing General Interest --
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Mike Tallman Legacy Q40 Race - 10/10-10/11/20

Post by rs-ssfan »

Heartland Speed Freakz is happy to announce the 5th (as in the 5th one we've hosted) Mike Tallman Legacy Q40 Pylon Race. I can't believe it's already been 5 years since we lost Mike. As most of you know HSF puts on an annual race to honor our great friend and competitor, Mike Tallman, for all he did in pylon racing. The race will be held on October 10th & 11th, with the course set up on the 9th for practice.

As it has been in the past, the race will be a 2 day Q40 race held at Lake Afton in Goddard (just west of Wichita) Kansas. For those of you that have come out in the past, you've experienced the highly competitive, yet laid back race atmosphere that we strive for. For those of you that haven't come out, I dare you to come experience it first hand. As I said it will be at Lake Afton RC Field, which Mike had a hand in building, it has both an asphalt and grass runway (side by side). It also has a dedicated concrete launch pad that allows us plenty of room to stretch out for race horse starts. I've yet to find a bad seat in the pits to see the close competition that this race is becoming known for. We will have our seasoned, I believe we are going on 9 years with them, workers as well as the always great lunch cooked by Vernelle Tallman. In years past we've seen that Mike was looking over the race to ensure that it's a good, no great, one and I have no doubt that he'll be back this year. So come on out and enjoy the racing with us.

With this being the 5th time we've hosted this race we thought we'd go back and repeat the raffle prize we gave away at the first one. With the gracious help of Dennis Cranfill we will be giving away a fully ready to fly Vendetta. I'll be painting it in, what I call, Mike's scheme with a burgundy base and blue trim colors (it's all I ever saw Mike fly). For the power plant we'll give the winner their choice of either a Jett or Nelson. At the moment the servos are up in the air, but you can be sure they'll be great quality servos. And we'll make sure to get you the receiver that will bind to your radio. :lol: As usual each paid entry gets a ticket put into the bucket, and yes you have to be present to win.

*RULES DEVIATION* - In the event that you receive a light and a cut on the same lap at Pylon 1, the cut will stand and a refly will not be issued.

I know we are a ways out but if you plan on attending, post here or shoot me an email @ lfinchcpa-sbcglobal.net (you know what to do to make it work) and let me know your AMA# as well as teammates.

I look forward to seeing you all at the race.

Lonnie
HSF_Mike_Tallman_Legacy_Race_2020.pdf
(377.99 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
aseaholm
Super Contributor

Re: Mike Tallman Legacy Q40 Race - 10/10-10/11/20

Post by aseaholm »

5th Annual?
fizzwater2
Super Contributor

Post by fizzwater2 »

Or is it the 4th anniversary of the first one? :)

Maybe Kurt will weigh in here.
Out of all the places we could be, this is one of them.
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Gordon and AJ, I'm not real sure I'm happy with you guys right now. :lol:

Guess I need to get on the forums more often.
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

For some reason, I should know better, the generosity of pilots and manufacturers still surprises me.

Thanks to the efforts of Jason Duda there will be a JR 8 channel transmitter and receiver given away at the race along with the BNF Vendetta. We've decided to have a second drawing for this set.

Thanks so much Jason for spearheading the efforts to get this for us, it is greatly appreciated.
Kurt Bozarth
Super Contributor

Post by Kurt Bozarth »

fizzwater2 wrote:Or is it the 4th anniversary of the first one? :)

Maybe Kurt will weigh in here.
I believe "Quinary" is the first word that comes to mind.

Kurt
Kurt Bozarth
kbozarth01@gmail.com
aseaholm
Super Contributor

Post by aseaholm »

Hey Siri, “WTF is a Quinary” :D
Parker
Super Contributor

Post by Parker »

The 3rdAnnual was last year correct?
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Don't you start with all that "Annual" discussion stuff Mr. Smiles. :lol:
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

We're starting to get closer to the race date so I thought I should bring this post back up to the top. :D

I also wanted to make another announcement about the race. Dan "Chop" Ulledahl has graciously offered, he really insisted, to cook steaks and loaded tators Saturday evening at the field after we conclude the racing for the day. For those of you that don't know Chop's cooking, I can promise you it will be good. I've wanted to put together something like this for a while now, I'd love to sit around and hear stories about Mike and of the old days, and this year it seems to be coming together. The plan at this point is to end racing a little earlier, like 4-ish, so Chop can get to work cooking and we aren't eating at 10 pm. We'll then sit around, socially distanced, get a full belly and tell stories. We'll supply the steaks and tators and ask that you bring what you'd like to drink. We can't officially sell food so we are going to ask for donations, I'd say it's easily worth $10 -15.

So to sum everything up; we'll have competitive racing in a laid back atmosphere, a BNF Vendetta giveaway, a JR 8 channel radio/receiver giveaway, a delicious burger and brat lunch each day (with some of the best brownies), a professionally prepared steak and loaded tator dinner on Saturday evening, and lots of stories to laugh about.

When we get a little closer to the race I'll ask that you let me know if you're gonna join us for the steak dinner so we can get them bought.

Hope to see you all at the race in a couple months.

Lonnie
Expresso Pylon Racer
Super Contributor

Post by Expresso Pylon Racer »

Lonnie !!! count me in for Chops Dinner . MR Expresso :D
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

I know some of you are at the champ race this weekend but being a couple weeks away from the Tallman race I wanted to get the pilots list out there.

1 Jason Duda
2 Jason Oliver
3 Fred French
4 Richard Oliver
5 Eddie Jump
6 Marty Bonse
7 Kelly Brown
8 Duane Hulen
9 Rich Beers
10 Joanne Coffey
11 Chop Ulledahl
12 Robert Rau
13 Lonnie Finch
14 Dan Coe
15 AJ Seaholm
16 Mark Martin
17 Neil Martin
18 Scott Causey
19 Tim Lampe
20 Doug Scherrer
21 Mike Deneve
22 Jordan Peace
23 Brian Osman
24 Gary James
25 Scott Hartman
26 Pat Redig
27 Pat Galarneault
28 Roger Burright
29 Gary Fisher
30 Chuck Andraka
31 Kurt Bozarth
32 Ken VanTuyl
Last edited by rs-ssfan on Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

And now for the "how things are going to work" post.

We will have a trailer to be used to haul us back and forth from the pitts. The major rule with this is we CANNOT sit on the fenders, if we do we will not have it for future races and I just might have to give you a cut for that race. :D

1. ADDENDUM/RULES DEVIATION In the event a light and a cut are given on the same lap at pylon 1 the cut will stand and a refly will not be granted.

2. Field will be open and course set up by 9am on Friday for practice. We will be pitting on the East side of the field (opposite as the shelter/shed) for practice and racing days. NO flying or running engines before 8 am any day.

2. Registration will end on Friday night. If you aren't able to make it out to the field on Friday to get signed up, make sure I know so I can get you into the Matrix. If I don't know about you and you don't show up until Sat morning you won't be in the matrix.

3. Race Days - test flying will be from 8-9:00, Pilots meeting around 9:15 and first heat around 9:30. We may adjust Sunday's schedule depending on how far we get on Saturday.

4. Vernelle will be preparing our lunch as usual. We can't "sell" food out there so we ask for donations (it's worth every bit of $5). We will take a lunch break as close to noon as we can be and we will shot for a 30-45 min break.

5. We are still deciding between 3 or 4 plane heats. It will partially depend on the final number of pilots we get to show up and if we have the workers.

6. We will be ending flying around 4-ish on Saturday to give Chop time to cook us some steaks that night.

We want to get you as much flying as possible, we will do at least 8 rounds but shooting for 10, so we appreciate everyone's cooperation in keeping things going.

Let me know if you have any questions and I look forward to seeing you all in a couple weeks.
Lonnie
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

I was finally able to get the Vendetta giveaway plane ready and here she is. As a reminder each paid entry receives a ticket for a chance to win this ready to fly, winner's engine and receiver of choice, vendetta. There will also be a second drawing for a JR radio and receiver.

Turn out is looking pretty good and there should be some tight racing. See you guys in about a week.
Vendetta 1.jpg
Vendetta 2.jpg
Vendetta 1.jpg
Attachments
Vendetta 3.jpg
fizzwater2
Super Contributor

Post by fizzwater2 »

Looks good, Lonnie - y'all have fun!
Out of all the places we could be, this is one of them.