Future CAPS Race Format

Pylon Racing General Interest --
iamtom
Super Contributor

Future CAPS Race Format

Post by iamtom »

Hi All,
CAPS has held races for a long time. In recent years we typically race for 2 days and fly 5 events. 3 of these events are flown on Saturday being 424, EF-1 and 426 followed by 422 and 424 again on Sunday.
The Sunday format works out pretty well and we typically race 6 rounds and finish earlier on Sunday than on Saturday. . This allows anyone traveling to get on the road at a decent time. Saturday we race 3 classes and usually only can complete 4 rounds. on occasion maybe get in 5.
We are planning to make this change for next year and drop 424 from the Saturday schedule race 2 classes each day and fly more rounds. This is a win win for everyone we believe.
We would appreciate any feedback. Many of you have attended CAPS races in the past. Saturday is usually when we have problems and we plan to solve this for future races.
Since this really only affects the 424 group we would like to hear from you. 424 attendance seems to be down across the country. EF-1 is holding it's own.
Please help us with this discussion.
All the best,
Tom Scott for CAPS
123READY TURN
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Re: Future CAPS Race Format

Post by airplanescotty »

424 is definitely gone in Florida :oops: :roll: That said, when I get north of Florida 424 attendance seems to be alive and well :P :D ,,, Cincci Shootout as an example!

In the recent past,, we have had a Engine manufacturer and the Pylon Rules Team develop and evaluate motors, serious hours and gallons of fuel, in an effort to certify a new available motor and parts,, in an attempt to keep the Entry Level class alive. :D :D :D

I feel, To not offer 424, given all that time and effort, especially in these times of reduced races,,, simply unacceptable! :o :roll:

I have been thinking about the Daytona race, which remains To Be Determined so stay tuned,,, and plan to offer EF-1 and 424 and let the "Sign-Up's" drive the decision as to which classes to race! :D

XXOO

Scotty
QTR ~ Waste Not A Moment!!!!!
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

airplanescotty wrote:
I feel, To not offer 424, given all that time and effort, especially in these times of reduced races,,, simply unacceptable! :o :roll:
Scotty,

424 is offered. However it is not offered on both Saturday and Sunday. Only Sunday.

As Tom Scott mentions... Flying 3 events on Saturday causes it's own issues. Reducing the number of events on Saturday from 3 to 2, should allow more flying in those two events. Use Cincinnati as an example, we were only able to complete 4 rounds of each class in the time available and at that, we flew until 6 pm. This new concept is an attempt to help the experience not hinder. Hence why Tom is asking.

DK
twitte
Super Contributor

Post by twitte »

Tom,

As a CD that has used the CAPS format in the past, I believe this is a good move. I would only have the one question, are you going to run 424 on the AMA Short course or the AMA Long course?

All future OJA races will use this new format. Only difference is that I may swap 424 and EF1.

Trey
iamtom
Super Contributor

Post by iamtom »

Hi Trey,
Yes we will fly the EF-1 course and short course on Saturday and the Long course for 422 and short for 424 on Sunday.
We will be adopting this new format for the August race.
The flyer has been updated and will be posted soon. I think we will see more good racing from this.
See you all soon.
Tom for CAPS
By the way, I believe the 424 pilots that have registered for this event have been contacted about this change.
123READY TURN
RCjunkie
Super Contributor

Post by RCjunkie »

If you kill 424 Then see ya I will be gone!!!!!!!!!
I tryed to help the clas with doing some E 424 and with a motor and battery under $100.00 you would not even look at it
2 wrongs don't make a right But 2 Wrights makes a Airplane
Kevin Matney http://www.Matneymodels.com
734 - 848 - 8195
"IN GOD WE TRUST " 44W
Sparky
Super Contributor

Post by Sparky »

When I was approached by one of the event coordinators about this I was concerned about the slippery slope we were on.
This is manifest with this edict. You haven't even run the first event with this format!
Continuing issues with the equipment are troubling as well, This seems to really be the long pole in the tent.
Two days of 424 flying is a great way for the newer pilots to get up to speed quicker.
I would encourage you to reconsider the move.
Sparky
DHULEN
Super Contributor

Post by DHULEN »

I personally love the change before when I would look at the entries I will see a ton of ef-1 and a ton of for 24 and realize that if I went to that race I would sit there all day and maybe get 4 flights in there was just too much to get done in one day I'm all for helping new pilots get into racing but when you drive 10 hours to race it's definitely something to consider

Duane