The Very First Quarter Forty

Pylon Racing General Interest --
Von Der Hey
Super Contributor

The Very First Quarter Forty

Post by Von Der Hey »

I am looking for information and photos of the very first Q-40 which I believe was designed and built by Jim Gager. I would like as many photos as possible. Thanks, Von Der Hey.
G.Freeman Jr.
Super Contributor

Re: The Very First Quarter Forty

Post by G.Freeman Jr. »

I think it was a Jim Gager Tsunami. Danny Kane would probably have all the details. I remember seeing Dave Latsha flying one at a silver cup race in 95 or 96. Wish I knew more.
Attachments
3D156181-BD27-4667-A52C-A346C9CC1A49.jpeg
stoned
Super Contributor

Post by stoned »

The first Q40 race I seen was in Atlanta. If I'm not mistaken they run 428 engines in them.fall of 95.it was the first race I ever completed in.
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

The first ever Q40 was infact designed and built by Jim Gager. It was a Tsunami. The first version was designed to meet the F1 rules at the time. 450 sq inches, 7 in tall fuselage. This airplane was test flown and raced in a heat against Col. Jake (Gail Jacobson) at rough river using a 428 motor. At the time of the event Jake was the current record holder in Q500. At this same contest, I also flew a converted F1 airplane using a 428 motor as a demo. The initial thought was to use existing F1 kits, but also allow different models like the QM15 rules. The bigger airplanes were deemed too slow, and many thought it wouldn't gain any traction. Jim then modified the rules to 6" height and 400 Sq inches, and another Tsunami was designed and built. The picture that Gary posted is of the second version. There was only ever 1 airplane built to the F1 rules. I believe Grunk flew the original airplane against Jake. I have asked Jim to come up with some photos and he couldn't locate any. Maybe someone that was at that race in Rough River may have some.

DK
Von Der Hey
Super Contributor

Post by Von Der Hey »

Thank you Danny. I wanted to confirm what I thought I knew. Roomer has it that it was Dave Latsha test flew the first Q-40?
I do need photos of Mr. Gager’s airplane. Three view pics would be very helpful. If anyone has them please post them. Thanks, Von Der Hey.
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

Von Der Hey wrote:Thank you Danny. I wanted to confirm what I thought I knew. Roomer has it that it was Dave Latsha test flew the first Q-40?
I do need photos of Mr. Gager’s airplane. Three view pics would be very helpful. If anyone has them please post them. Thanks, Von Der Hey.
Lee, it is very possible Dave did the test flying duties. Jim was still building it at the field that day. Several people took the TX that day... After the first flight it was very apparent, that stock props were not going to be the way to go. A couple of us started carving some props for later that day. I was one working on props, and I am not sure who was flying when we started to scramble for props.

DK
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

kane wrote:
Von Der Hey wrote:Thank you Danny. I wanted to confirm what I thought I knew. Roomer has it that it was Dave Latsha test flew the first Q-40?
Lee, it is very possible Dave did the test flying duties. Jim was still building it at the field that day. Several people took the TX that day... After the first flight it was very apparent, that stock props were not going to be the way to go. A couple of us started carving some props for later that day. I was one working on props, and I am not sure who was flying when we started to scramble for props.

DK
Remember the scramble for Revup props. All of a sudden they were worth their weight in gold. Gager Tsunami Was my first Q40 flown at tangerine 94’ or 95’
And I said, here am I send me.
dwc1
Super Contributor

Post by dwc1 »

Would have had to have been 93-94 time frame, right? I remember the Lubbock Nats '94, which I didn't get to go to, Jerry had his Kazi Killer, Q-40 version, and Tocci had either Stiletto or Nemesis.
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

dwc1 wrote:Would have had to have been 93-94 time frame, right? I remember the Lubbock Nats '94, which I didn't get to go to, Jerry had his Kazi Killer, Q-40 version, and Tocci had either Stiletto or Nemesis.
DC it was before then. Can't remember the year exactly (maybe someone else can)... It took a little while to get things rolling. The first conversation occurred at the Silver Cup in Toledo (August), and then the rules were drafted (following winter). Jim designed the Tsunami for the next year (Rough River was early September). My memory says this was all taking place around 91 through 92. Then the rules were re-drafted without an airplane (to the smaller requirements), probably early 93.

DK
Speedfreak1
Super Contributor

Post by Speedfreak1 »

Any ideas on what model/vintage this one is? It has a foam core wing/glass fuse.
Kurt Beachler
Attachments
26A75089-9874-44A5-8B75-2DA5931E844F.jpeg
fizzwater2
Super Contributor

Post by fizzwater2 »

Kurt - it looks a little like my Loki from Sattler, also a glass fuse/foam wing airplane. The paint scheme make it tough for me to tell from the picture if the canopy area is the same or not.

Is there a little belly pan on the bottom?
Attachments
20200629_202242.jpg
20200629_202304.jpg
Out of all the places we could be, this is one of them.
fizzwater2
Super Contributor

Post by fizzwater2 »

the credit for that paint on the Loki goes to Lonnie Finch, he finished that one up for me. Now I need to stuff radio, tank, etc. in it.
Out of all the places we could be, this is one of them.
dwc1
Super Contributor

Post by dwc1 »

Kurt,
I'm pretty sure that is one of the Small Kaze Killers from the early days of Q40. '94 ish.
dwc1
Super Contributor

Post by dwc1 »

Here is a pretty bad picture.
Attachments
Kaze.png
realviking
Contributor

Post by realviking »

I think my Kelly is also an vintage Q40, looks good and is a nice build. I do not know much about this oldie.
Engine is an 428 Nelson SS, might be a fun flier.
Attachments
AMA Kelly Q40.jpg