The Very First Quarter Forty

Pylon Racing General Interest --
GaryS
Super Contributor

Re: The Very First Quarter Forty

Post by GaryS »

Kurt, I concur with Dennis that it's one of Jerry's Kaze Killers.

Leo, that looks a Lyle Larson Kelly. Rare airplane, not many were made.
GS
Speedfreak1
Super Contributor

Post by Speedfreak1 »

Thanks guys! That's a great picture with Jerry back in the day. Even though it is a bit fuzzy, that sure looks like it has the same lines.
Kurt
Dave N
Super Contributor

Post by Dave N »

Leo, I am pretty sure that is one of Lyles.

He's been painting airplanes like that for a long time..
www.ncplracing.org
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

Dave N wrote:Leo, I am pretty sure that is one of Lyles.

He's been painting airplanes like that for a long time..
Realviking = Ola
Miniviking = Leo

I think
And I said, here am I send me.
LittleViking
Super Contributor

Post by LittleViking »

MiniViking, LittleViking, same thing.

Leo
Leo Nordell
vonderhey
Super Contributor

Post by vonderhey »

Lyle’s Kelly was also on the cover of RCM in the mid 1990s
realviking
Contributor

Post by realviking »

Yes, same trim pattern, Nice!
Attachments
IMG_5672.JPG
Dave Yost
Super Contributor

Post by Dave Yost »

Come on you guys, this is 2020, the #metoo movement will come after you! Lol :D :D

First saw that Kelly in Las Vegas around 93’(?) Cool airplane, Lyle Larson cranked out several Q40 plugs in short order. He was ahead of that curve. The diehard Formula One guys did not like the Q40 formula, but It only took a year or so for everyone to “see the light”.

Cool post. Miss RCM as well.

Cheers, Dave
polecat
Super Contributor

Post by polecat »

Lee,
Haven't been on the site for some time now, but was browsing here recently, and came across your post requesting info on the "First Quarter 40" airplane. The red Tsunami pictured in Freeman Jr's. post, with the distinct wave on the fuse/tail, was built and painted by me. It was one of my earlier Quarter midgets, and was one of the Gager Tsunami kits, but they were not the first Q-40's. Actually, the first Q-40 kit I remember, even before the Tsunami, was also a Gager kit, and it was a P-39 model, (with a tricycle gear), with a much longer and larger Fuse, and a wing span/area equaling the Q-500. (NO, I AM NOT CONFUSING THIS WITH GREG DOE'S P-39, 15-SIZE Q/M. I'm getting old, but I still remember...LOL). The initial idea back then was to get the quickiees slowed down, and reduce cost, as well as creating a stepping stone class between Quickiee, and Formula-1. I got as far as getting one of the first few P-39 kits from Jim, and never got it built, as the rules were changed soon after the "flyoff" between the new prototype P-39, and the then current Q-500, both SS nelson powered, with unaltered props. Apparently, both Jake, Dave Latsha, and a few others felt that the "new Q-40" was not that much faster than, or only equaled the Q-500's speed, and therefore, in their eyes was not acceptable. That was when the "proposed" rules were changed to where the wing area, and Fuse area was reduced, and prop modifications were allowed. As I remember,, Jim Gager was not very happy with this decision, as it instantly made obsolete the use of his newly created P-39 kit. (I wish I had kept the kit, but it was now useless as a racing model, and I sold it at an auction to I don't remember who!) I believe that the next Q-40 I built was one of Ritch Tocci's designs, that fit the newly modified rules with much smaller aircraft, that were subjected to severe "diets", (ala "Boni Tony), and modified props, which resulted in much faster models for the class. This was proceeded by both Henry and Dub making specific engines for "The New Q-40" class, and as they say, the rest is history.

Regards,
Dennis O'Brien
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

Dennis

Gager did a P-63 but that was 2 or 3 years after his Tsunami. It was flown by a couple for a couple of years. It was a good flying airplane. But definitely not the first. Nor was Jake’s Miss RJ. As said before Gager had two versions of the Tsunami. One to fit the formula one rules and later one to the new Q40 rules due them not being faster than the current Q-500 models at the time.

DK