Club in Northern Indiana holds it's first race!

Pylon Racing General Interest --
kane
Super Contributor

Club in Northern Indiana holds it's first race!

Post by kane »

First some background...

Earlier this year, Jim DeYoung (QM15 Folkerts Fame) reached out and wanted to try pylon racing after a 30 year lay off. Jim wasn't out of modeling, infact he jumped into IMAC and Control line Stunt. He had stopped by the pylon area in Muncie a couple of times during his IMAC comps and caught the fever. Fast forward to a couple of practice sessions later, and he decided to hold a race. He approached his club the Midwest Sundowner RC club and the date was set. Then the usual OMG what did I just do started. Jim and I decided to make this low key and we had to create a simple light system and lap counter system to hold the race. Jim already had poles that he used to practice with 30 years ago. All the planning and preparation was completed yesterday as the 1st pylon race was held at the Sundowner field. The club provided all the workers and the BoyScouts provided the food! Hats off to everyone it was a great day of racing and fun. The workers were outstanding, (they had no clue what they were getting into) they jumped in with both feet and worked a long day all so we could play with our toys. Huge THANK YOU to all the club members who volunteered and help make this weekend a success! I also need to give my brother Kevin a shout out. Kevin managed the matrix and scoring table all day! He used to fly free flight with my dad and has been competing for several years with RC cars. This was probably the first pylon contest for him in 30+ years as well. Thanks bro!

Thank you to all the contestants as well. Some traveled pretty far for a one day race at a new venue. This was huge. I think we made an impact, a couple of guys are already looking forward to trying it next year.

Looking forward to next year!

DK
Attachments
Flight Line action... My Rivets in the foreground... JUST prior to me taking out pylon 2!
Flight Line action... My Rivets in the foreground... JUST prior to me taking out pylon 2!
Mike Perada, flew his Scat Cat with an MVVS and had a blast.  Looking forward to racing with us next year.  Tom Melshimer helped reel him in!
Mike Perada, flew his Scat Cat with an MVVS and had a blast. Looking forward to racing with us next year. Tom Melshimer helped reel him in!
Mick Warning and Darwin made the trip, the shook the rust off early to show how competitive they are.
Mick Warning and Darwin made the trip, the shook the rust off early to show how competitive they are.
Brad Clayton and Greg Doe made the long trip as well.  Both proving that Old Age is just a number.  Many fast heats with these two.
Brad Clayton and Greg Doe made the long trip as well. Both proving that Old Age is just a number. Many fast heats with these two.
Tim Sparks and Tim Porter flew the crew from Southern Indiana up for the race.  Matt Fornfeld and Clint Seyer not pictured but had to deal with the Tim's all day.
Tim Sparks and Tim Porter flew the crew from Southern Indiana up for the race. Matt Fornfeld and Clint Seyer not pictured but had to deal with the Tim's all day.
EF-1charging station.
EF-1charging station.
Old School start line action (Flag drop) with club member Bruce handling the starting duties.  He had never done it before and took control like a champ.
Old School start line action (Flag drop) with club member Bruce handling the starting duties. He had never done it before and took control like a champ.
Augie Haupt made the trip with his buddies from Northern Ohio, Mark Zeal and Tom Melshimer.
Augie Haupt made the trip with his buddies from Northern Ohio, Mark Zeal and Tom Melshimer.
Jim Nikodem rounding 2 into 3 with his Tom Cat
Jim Nikodem rounding 2 into 3 with his Tom Cat
Tom Melshimer rounding 2 with his Scarlet Screamer
Tom Melshimer rounding 2 with his Scarlet Screamer
The results of hitting Pylon 2 with the Rivets.
The results of hitting Pylon 2 with the Rivets.
IMG_7316.JPG
Group shot at the end of the day!!
Group shot at the end of the day!!
IMG_7322.JPG
IMG_7323.JPG
Jim DeYoung with his light system
Jim DeYoung with his light system
Greg Doe
Super Contributor

Re: Club in Northern Indiana holds it's first race!

Post by Greg Doe »

Brad and I want to say thanks to everybody. Greg
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

Hey, wow, gee, heck of a turnout!

Way to go everybody! :mrgreen:

Tim Lampe
fizzwater2
Super Contributor

Post by fizzwater2 »

Great job, guys! Looks like everyone had fun!
Out of all the places we could be, this is one of them.
cpaine
Super Contributor

Post by cpaine »

hmm only 6.5hrs away? thats close in Canadian hrs ;)
aweome news and a great write up Danny! Sounds like a perfect day with good entries. Good to hear "expeirenced" pilots getting back into it!!

sorry bout the Rivets....

never know, next year we might make the trip!
Cory
gefisher
Contributor

Post by gefisher »

What a strong class of pilots and glad to see our Indiana and Illinois racers out there! :D
fish