CMAD Small Wonder build pics

Pylon Racing General Interest --
KRProton
Super Contributor

Re: CMAD Small Wonder build pics

Post by KRProton »

While the RTV is drying, I can mount the landing gear...

The Jett crowd I run with (Dub and Helsel) always trim the gear down and move the wheels back on the Too Sweets to help prevent the plane from bouncing on landing. I do this too and it seems to help with some of my less-than-perfect landings. I asked Mike if he modified the gear on his Small Wonder (since it's the same wing as the Too Sweet). He said he left his gear stock, so I did too.

I used to mount the gear to the wing with 10-24 flat-head nylon bolts, but by the time you drill such large holes in the gear and then the countersinks, you have these huge holes in the base of your gear which, in my experience, tends to weaken the gear and it bends across two of the holes. So anymore I save myself a bunch of work and just use the #4 button-head Phillips wood screws that came with the plane. If the break, they tend to do so at the head leaving enough sticking out of the wing that you can grab with pliers and extract.

I apologize for not properly shaping and polishing the gear, but in the interest of time saving I'll get to that by the next time you see the plane!
Attachments
173.jpg
174.jpg
175.jpg
Last edited by KRProton on Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

I went over this a page or so back, but my plan was to get to OJA, test-fly another plane, then remove the wing from this, remove the saran wrap, cut off the excess RTV and go fly the plane! In order to do this I had to first check the C.G. Being very familiar with the C.G. on a Too Sweet and Sweet 1, I was looking for a C.G. just ahead of 4", like 3-15/16" or 3-31/32".

After drawing some quick graphics and cutting them in my vinyl cutter and applying them to the model, I re checked the C.G. and ended up adding .3 oz to the tail to get it to balance at 3-13/16". If I would have taken the time to check the C.G. before gluing in the servo tray I could have eliminated all the tail ballast, but at least it doesn't need nose weight!
Attachments
20201120_114818.jpg
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

Okay, after the quick graphics I was determined to paint a canopy. I ain't flyin' no plane without no canopy!

Another good way to save weight though is to apply single-stage paint without the hardener. Ask me how I know as the saying goes! Guess I was in too much of a hurry. A few hours after painting on a nifty canopy to bring my simple scheme to life, I came back down to the basement to see how it was hardening. Nope, the paint was super sticky! Yep, I forgot to add hardener. Oh well, it'll have to do just for one day!
Attachments
180.jpg
181.jpg
182.jpg
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

Okay, up and at 'em Saturday morning to get to OJA around 9:00 to fly with Trey Whitte.

As planned, on location, I removed the tape from the saran wrap on the wing, lifted the wing from the saran wrap, then pealed the saran wrap from the fuselage. Then I cut off the excess RTV that was on the inside of the fuselage. A final battery charge, then bolt it all up and tape on the belly pan! (I'll hook up an external charge jack later.)

Got a couple warm up flights on my Too Sweet. All was swell there. The weather was absolutely perfect with just a light tail wind for takeoff. I needled the engine rich for the maiden, Trey gave it a push resulting in a nice takeoff holding a little up elevator, right rudder and aileron. Just a couple trim passes and I was already ready already to get it down on the course. I had purposely set the elevator throw low just to be cautious. After a few smooth, confidence inspiring lazy but good laps, I flipped the elevator to high rate. It came around 1 better, but still needed more elevator throw. I cut the engine and brought it around for a very nice landing. I increased what was high elevator throw to low and added 5% and made my high rate (for landing) about 10% higher than that. The longer I fly pylon the closer my high rates (I use for landing) get to my low rates (for racing on the course). I made another flight right then and there, then back up to the pits.

I cleaned up the plane, mounted a different prop and put up two more really good flights leaning the needle slightly each time. The Small Wonder really picked up speed and I was thrilled.

I don't want to get too high just because of a few nice practice runs in ideal weather conditions, but when I dialed in the needle for the 4th flight the plane really went and actually surprised me. I mean I really thought it was already going great from the previous flights, but if I continue to get engine runs like the last one I'll dial back the aileron throw a little.

I keep comparing the Small Wonder to the Too Sweet because it has the same wing and horizontal stab.

I can't say if it flies any better or differently than my Too Sweets/Sweet 1, (partly because I don't know if I'm qualified enough to say so), but it seems to takeoff straighter with less effort (though I have nice takeoffs with Too Sweets too!), but I'm quite sure it lands better with less/no bouncing on landing (though again, conditions were favorable for good takeoffs, good flying and good landings). I don't know why it would touch down on landing any better than a Too Sweet or a Sweet 1 seeing how it's the exact same wing (as far as I know), but so far this is my opinion (keeping in mind only four flights).

Anyway, the plane looks great and I'm SUPER happy with the way it flies.

I came back home, unloaded the van, washed off the tacky canopy paint with acetone, then weighed the plane. 64.1 oz. all taped up just as I had flown it.

My plan was to pull the graphics in the future and do a proper paint job, but I may just leave it as-is after I paint a proper canopy.

Thanks Tom Scott for delivering on this plane and to Steve Taylor for a quality product.

Tim

P.S. I'll check back in with my control throws (for future reference and for my own record keeping).
Attachments
183.jpg
184.jpg
185.jpg
186.jpg
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

No big news, just a minor update since the last post and the maiden flight;

I painted on a new canopy (this time with hardener in the paint!). I was going for the appearance of a hatch from one of the "turtledecked" P-51-style Reno racers. It's okay, but I don't love it. I also ground/polished the landing gear and replaced the ball bearing wheels with non-bearing ones. I removed the .35 oz. of lead I had taped on the tail for C.G. and filled the carbon fiber tail tubes with lead shot instead. Also added an external charge port. Plane is ready to go again for next time.

Don't know why, but it seemed appropriate to add Jerry Small's name on there since the plane is his namesake.

Oops...almost forgot. I also made an airplane stand for the Small Wonder. Don't mind the odd colors - just using leftover wood for this one.

Tim
Attachments
20201201_113330.jpg
20201201_133924.jpg
20201201_173503.jpg
20201201_173538.jpg
20201201_173557.jpg
Last edited by KRProton on Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

Love the tip of the hat to Jerry!

When we were trying to come up with a name at first we had "Sweet" in the name. However, Dub was quick to point out that we couldn't keep the "Sweet" ones straight: Sweet Vee, Too Sweet, Sweet 1. Originally it was going to be the sweetest one. Eventually we settled on Small Wonder, As we wondered what Jerry would have thought about the change. He was an artist, and when something didn't look right he would let you know.

Miss him.

DK
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

kane wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:30 pm Love the tip of the hat to Jerry!

When we were trying to come up with a name at first we had "Sweet" in the name. However, Dub was quick to point out that we couldn't keep the "Sweet" ones straight: Sweet Vee, Too Sweet, Sweet 1. Originally it was going to be the sweetest one. Eventually we settled on Small Wonder, As we wondered what Jerry would have thought about the change. He was an artist, and when something didn't look right he would let you know.

Miss him.

DK
Hey Dan, thanks for chiming in and for the bit of history and your sentiment. That's what it's all about!

Tim :D
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

KRProton wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:31 pm While the RTV is drying, I can mount the landing gear..
Obviously you have never drilled straight through the wing. Cool tip.. tape the drill bit about 3/8” to keep it from smoking through the top skin and causing you to make the ugly face.
And I said, here am I send me.
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

rocket wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:42 pm
KRProton wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:31 pm While the RTV is drying, I can mount the landing gear..
Obviously you have never drilled straight through the wing. Cool tip.. tape the drill bit about 3/8” to keep it from smoking through the top skin and causing you to make the ugly face.
OR... take a 3/8" wooden dowel or something close, cut it to about 1" long. Put a flat spot on two sides and drill down the center with 3/32" bit. The flat spots are used to help get closer to the edges of the gear pad. Use this dowel to as a stop to prevent you from drilling through the top skin. Set the drill bit into the drill so that only 1/4" of the bit is exposed through the bottom of the dowel.

DK
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

rocket wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:42 pm
Nice tips gentlemen. The thought did occur to me of taking a selfie with me drilling how I actually drill the landing gear holes, but it's a hassle to set up my tripod for my camera. The way I do it is not as sure as you guys, but I do use care; I simply brace myself holding the drill in one hand against my chest and the wing in the other so I have more control with the drill. Hard to explain. I did almost drill through a wing somewhere along the line. I think it was my Sweet 1 with blue fuselage, white wings. She's not with us anymore anyway. :wink:

Thanks again for the suggestions. :-)

Tim
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

Oh yea, I promised control throws.

Nothing unusual here:

Elevator low rate: 3/16" up, 3/32" down

Rudder low rate: 3/8" - 1/2" right, 3/8" - 1/2" left
Rudder high rate: 3/4" right, 3/4" left

Aileron low rate: 3/16" up, 3/16" down

I didn't provide elevator and aileron high rates because the longer I'm in pylon racing, the closer my high rates come to my low rates. I do have more throw for high rates, but it's only about 5% - 10% more so the difference is virtually immeasurable. This has helped me with over controlling on landing. But lots of rudder throw is desired on landing for ground steering.

I use low rates for takeoff and on the course and high rates for landing. Also, I might reduce my aileron throw a little - just 10% or so.

My rudder throws are not exact because I've flown the plane only four times in ideal conditions, so I haven't been on the rudder much yet.

All throws were measured at the root end of the surfaces.

These are the throws I have at this time and I'm confident would be a fine starting point for anyone (provided the same C.G. as me; 3-15/16").

Mike Helsel and Dub Jett swear by 5/32" up elevator throw for the Too Sweet, but I believe they use a farther aft C.G. than I.

Tim
Attachments
198.jpg
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

I could let this thread slowly die out (which it probably will anyway), but it would be chicken $%*# to go that way.

I think my Small Wonder was the perfect storm of the right engine setup, the right prop, a good airframe and maybe even great weather conditions that combined to make a trim flight that was faster than anticipated. For Friday practice down at the Tangerine pylon race in Apopka, Florida, I had already flown and trimmed both of my Quickies a few times each. So I took out my Small Wonder (which I had decided ahead of time was going to be my backup) to get a Q40 warm up flight. The engine came up to rpm and needled just like it should. Mike gave it a shove and it seemed like I had a tiger by the tail. He said it looked like I was fighting it. The thing was just damn fast and I guess I was behind it. (I ended up reducing the throws on my primary plane as more practice sessions piled up, so conditions did seem to make for "faster" air.)

I was reining it in trying to work it down onto the course, but I was crowding pylon 1 on the way down and came out wide. Of course I was too low as well. Mike tried to tell me, but it was too late and straight down the tree line she went. Trey found the fuselage somewhat intact and the engine might be okay. I'll know after I take it apart later today. I thought it was my slowest engine, but the new setup seemed to transform it.

Anyway, that's not the ending I wanted to this story, but I already have a word in with Tom for another. The only thing that heals this is time and another airplane!

I'll be sure to get back here if/when that happens.

Thanks for looking in! :mrgreen:

Tim
Attachments
200.jpg
Chago_N20P
Super Contributor

Post by Chago_N20P »

I saw it happen, shed a tear. That field is a bit challenging, and does not allow any relaxing or mistakes on the West side.
Short lived Q40s are never good, but they teach us unforgettable lessons.
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

Ya know Chago,

thing is, once I got "spanked" by allowing my plane to get over there, it took me several flights to get my confidence back and lure my Sweet 1 back down onto the course - like a few more practice flights and even a few races after that. Once I felt confident again (and a few more in-flight reminders from Mike Helsel), it wasn't a big deal - nor should it be if you're on course. Next year, I'll have this in mind and maybe start with a richer setting to slow the plane down a bit and fly higher and wider for a few flights as I "find" the course again. I guess this is what is called experience.

I had a blast calling for you. It was lots of fun! :mrgreen:

Tim
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

I'm bored lasering wedding invitations for my step-daughter. This is providing me the opportunity to learn a new technique; laser photo engraving. Rather than burning into the wood, the speed and power is set just so that the surface is barely burnt, but if you get it right (and have treated the wood) it still provides a dark burn while hardly scratching the surface - the wood is still smooth to the touch! But before you can send the image to the laser cutter, it first has to be manipulated in a program to make the lighter areas darker and the darker areas lighter so no single area is burned out or eliminated all together. Then the image has to be configured in another program for the laser cutter, then speed and power settings perfected. It's dizzying! :o I've made about 40 attempts over the last three or so days.

So while I'm sitting here waiting for this next attempt to finish (about 25 minutes each!), I'll just write that I believe a new Small Wonder is soon on the way, so hopefully I'll have a few more build pics in the future. :mrgreen:

Tim
Attachments
thumbnail_20210203_160949.jpg