2021 NATS PRACTICE TIME PROCEDURE….

Pylon Racing General Interest --
mikecondon
Super Contributor

2021 NATS PRACTICE TIME PROCEDURE….

Post by mikecondon »

All contestants must pick up there AMA package from headquarters.
From there you must process aircraft BEFORE practice flying. This has become a safety issue.
You will receive a 4” disc with your assigned number on it. Do not lose this disc!! At a time of your choosing, bring the disc to the announcer and place it in the display at her location. This will set you in place for practice. Please put your disc and your partners in at same time. This will allow the 2 of you at the line at same time.
There will be 4 golf carts provided for practice. 8 pilots max allowed at line. When your number is called, proceed to fueling area promptly. You will be sent to the line as per your number called. (example: “1st ready #14 and 26…2nd ready #37 and 56…3rd ready 22 and 43…4th ready 21 and 37)
When you arrive at announcer’s station, you must retrieve your disc and proceed to your cart provided. Upon completion of your practice session, return to announcers area to place your disc in order for another practice session. (No personal carts allowed to the line.) When a cart returns, another goes out..etc. Other situations, that may arise, will be delt with at the time.
This new format has been reviewed many times to assure a quick turn around time for practice. It also limits the amount of persons at the line to 8..(not 18!!) lol. Also no need to line up aircraft on field.
We ask for your cooperation with this new procedure to assure all a great period of practice time. There could be slight changes as needed. At this time, this is the procedure being used.

Thank You and see you all soon!!, Mike C
Terry Frazer
Super Contributor

Re: 2021 NATS PRACTICE TIME PROCEDURE….

Post by Terry Frazer »

You called 37 twice
mikecondon
Super Contributor

Post by mikecondon »

Well then just get some friends and hang me!!...lol
Terry Frazer
Super Contributor

Post by Terry Frazer »

Must be Freeman
G.Freeman Jr.
Super Contributor

Post by G.Freeman Jr. »

Terry Frazer wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:51 am Must be Freeman
LOL
mikecondon
Super Contributor

Post by mikecondon »

You two should Pair to each other!!!
dwc1
Super Contributor

Post by dwc1 »

Hi Mike,

The only thing I see that wasn't mentioned is how many airplanes is a pilot allowed to take to the line at his/her called practice time. Is it one plane per round? I can predict some might go with a whole fleet at one time.

DC
mikecondon
Super Contributor

Post by mikecondon »

Only ONE aircraft per pilot, per trip, to the flight line.
In my original post pertaining to practice procedure, I have given all the guidelines being used. A list of all pilots with there name and assigned disc number will be used to confirm pilot/disc number. A few have reach out to question the possibility of cheating the system. I have always tried to do the best I can to assure a fair week of racing to all. I have given a great amount of time into the development of this system. I have spoke with a few others this year too assure this system will be best for all. I truly ask for all to give there corporation to have the process work fairly and efficiently!!
Thank You all again, mike
bob brogdon
Super Contributor

Post by bob brogdon »

I may have missed it, but I didn't see anything covering taking extra fuel to the line. I'm sure someone will take an extra syringe of fuel if it is not limited. Please address that please.

Bob
mikecondon
Super Contributor

Post by mikecondon »

ABSOLUTE NO EXTRA FUEL!!
We would see that as cheating. I feel that any person getting called out doing that may just wish he hadn't!! Again I ask all to give the new system a chance to work. Thank you
mikecondon
Super Contributor

Post by mikecondon »

tube.jpg
tube2.jpg
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

I’m grateful for an organized, fair practice procedure and thankful to those who have worked on this. I understand it will be a work-in-progress and we may have to adapt as we go. I’m looking forward to safe practice sessions without people on golf carts beating me to the line. I have been thinking about this procedure and a couple questions come to mind. I hope it’s okay to mention them here to give the organizers some time to plan for this (if they haven’t already).

I expect scenarios where pilots aren’t ready when their number is called. To avoid delays, there should be a time window between the time the pilot is called and when they arrive to the announcer’s station to claim their disc to proceed to the flight line. If the pilot does not report within this time window they should lose their place in the queue. Otherwise, the discs of absent pilots could stack up. If pilots are allowed to get back in line at their convenience, this would defeat the whole purpose.

And what about instances where a pilot’s teammate is not present, ready, or needing to practice? The old way, pilots could go to the course alone and get an available pilot already out there to assist (hold the plane, push, call, guide to landing). Maybe this is a problem that doesn’t exist. A simple solution would be for “singles” to go out with another single, or a group of two, provided this is allowed.

Thanks again.

Tim Lampe
mikecondon
Super Contributor

Post by mikecondon »

Thank you Tim for your input.
Pilots will be allowed to to the line without there caller and use someone out there. Or they may group with another single who's number has been called. Or a random caller without aircraft..
As for not being ready.. The disc will be set aside for a prescribed time. Then will be placed at the end of the called ready row,as shown in picture.
This posting is subject to change due to other ideas being looked into. For now this is the plan.
A reminder to all. Please place your disc in the tube along with your caller at the same time to assure both go out at same time.
Thanks again, mike
Greg Doe
Super Contributor

Post by Greg Doe »

So I will admit right off the bat that I may be over analyzing this protocol, but I've got some questions. #1. Will these procedures be in effect Saturday 6-19? #2. Did I miss something, or will 424 have to share practice time with EF1, 426, and 422 on Saturday? This probably won't be a problem since the whole day should be available for for test flying. #3 Then Sunday the 20th, will EF1 have to share practice time with 426, and 422, or will EF1 be given priority? #4 Same question for practice on the 21st? Will 426 pilots have a priority over 422 pilots?
mikecondon
Super Contributor

Post by mikecondon »

Thanks for asking.
1. The procedure will be in place Saturday. Practice will be open after IMAC is over and maintenance has completed the turnaround.
2. This issue is currently being talked about. Any guidelines, if there are any, will be announced Saturday morning.
3. Same answer as #2.
4. Will be open to 422 and 426 combined.
Guidelines at the line will be in place for all out there.