Quick question (about weather conditions during the Nat's)

Pylon Racing General Interest --
KRProton
Super Contributor

Quick question (about weather conditions during the Nat's)

Post by KRProton »

I'm not asking for advice or numbers, I'm just wondering if anybody else noticed a change in the weather conditions on Friday at the Nat's. Seems the weather prior to Friday was pretty good (regarding engine performance), but on Friday, specifically between the preliminaries and the finals (or a few rounds into the finals) the weather went to crap (density altitude increased) and engine performance changed (decreased).

I probably should have switched to a smaller prop or lowered the head. In fact, I switched to my 3rd backup for the final round and had lowered the head prior and seemed to get a good run again.

Just wondering if it was just me, or if others noticed the same thing.

Thanks.

Tim Lampe
ceandra
Super Contributor

Re: Quick question (about weather conditions during the Nat's)

Post by ceandra »

Tim:

My best time was at the very end of Round 4. I caught a prop due to crosswind on round 5.

I ran a 5 the whole time, though my engine may have been even happier with a 6.

Chuck
RB
Super Contributor

Re: Quick question (about weather conditions during the Nat's)

Post by RB »

Think I was reading about 2300 density altitude on Friday. I too only ran the 7.5 prop. I wasn’t set up to run the 7.6.

I did notice earlier in the week (Sunday/Monday) I was seeing over 4000 density altitude.

Pretty typical for Muncie. Maybe really early in the mornings we might see 1200 to 1600… but it’s usually over 2000

RB