Dave Gavin Memorial Pylon Race Qct 23-24

Pylon Racing General Interest --
DT
Super Contributor

Dave Gavin Memorial Pylon Race Qct 23-24

Post by DT »

2021 Dave Gavin Memorial Race Pre-Entry
Pilots, Callers, support personnel, public....

Oct 23rd & 24th with Friday the 22nd as practice day, we will hold our annual Dave Gavin Memorial Pylon Race at Whittier Narrows Park, hosted by the San Gabriel Valley RC League.

Classes offered:
424 Saturday only

426 & 422 Will consist of one, two-day contest, total entries combined for both classes will be limited to 80 entries
We will run one round of 424 followed by one round of 426 on the short course then one round of 422 on the long course.

Anticipating a full event entry forms must be complete with payment and teammates indicated! Payment will reserve your slot in the TOTAL field of 80 entries.

Please make checks payable to: San Gabriel Valley RC League

Online entry and payment are available information available on the race flyer.

NOTE: The first entry form indicating 3 to a team will be logged and any additional entries indicating the same team members already on a 3-person team will be placed on the matrix as “orphans” so contact your teammates before sending in your forms!

We need to have ALL your information no later than Friday October the 22nd since the matrix for each class will be built that evening.

NOTE: “rule deviation” In the event a pilot receives a turn light and a cut light during the same lap, the cut light will prevail and a re-fly will not be granted.

We’ve lost many trees in the pit area due to disease so make sure you bring your shade pop-up!!

No FAA Number on your Aircraft = No Flying!

Send your entry forms and payment to:
Dan Thordarson
22555 Hickory Pl
Santa Clarita, CA 91390
Attachments
raceFlyerOctober2021.pdf
(1002.98 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
Dan Thordarson
Member of the 57 sec club
53c
DT
Super Contributor

Re: Dave Gavin Memorial Pylon Race Qct 23-24

Post by DT »

Pilots,

We’re just a few weeks away from our Whittier pylon race, now’s the time to submit your entry forms. The entire forms can be mailed to me or use the link as indicated on the posted flyer for submitting and payment.

The club is very excited to host this event!

Dan
Dan Thordarson
53c
MSALAZAR
Super Contributor

Post by MSALAZAR »

Pilots,

We're just 12 days away from the Dave Gavin Memorial race.
We'd like to have your registration information ASAP please, so we can finalize our arrangements with food, fuel, volunteers, etc...
We haven't held an event at Whittier in two years because of all the COVID restrictions in LA County, so make sure you don't miss this event.
Mail (or email) your entry forms to Dan Thordarson right away, so we can have an accurate head count...
When you send your entries, please confirm your callers before you send info.

Come and join us at the fastest air in the country... Both 426 and Q-40 current National speed records have been set at our field... If you wanna go REALLY fast... Come to Whittier!!!

We're looking forward to seeing everyone at this event!
Mario Salazar
ceandra
Super Contributor

Post by ceandra »

Pilots:

Please look over your entries and make sure we got the teaming correct. Teaming is determined by the 3-digit number in the last column.

Chuck

424:
424.jpg
424.jpg (10.12 KiB) Viewed 1019 times

426:
426.jpg
426.jpg (29.69 KiB) Viewed 1019 times

Q40:
422.jpg
Last edited by ceandra on Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DT
Super Contributor

Post by DT »

Pilots,
The matrix will be created Friday Night so we can have an early start! You must identify any errors or changes you’d like before then!

Thanks
Dan
Dan Thordarson
53c
ceandra
Super Contributor

Post by ceandra »

Updated pilot list and teaming

Chuck
Dave Yost
Super Contributor

Post by Dave Yost »

Great Racing at Whittier today. Very little carnage, so almost everyone will be back tomorrow.

Enjoy.

Dave
Attachments
9D77F25D-1682-47ED-9CD3-8E6AFA83ED0E.jpeg
3773C5BF-6CC8-43CD-B912-E0C2D7526DB7.jpeg
28ECD6D7-E7ED-4217-9818-584F3CE68986.jpeg
960DD87F-0419-4333-BF03-3E4D0DA0F73A.jpeg
ceandra
Super Contributor

Post by ceandra »

Another well-done Whittier race! Great weather, with a spot of rain Saturday that triggered an early lunch. Lots of fast, close racing, but I don't recall any collisions between planes (yes, some with ground, some with pole 3). Lots of chances for collisions, but great flying and avoidance!

Mario turned the only 59, taking fast time on the very last heat of the matrix! Laird and Jeff had a chance to take it away in a hotly contested flyoff, but both earned a cut as they fought the entire 10 laps, and then Laird got a second cut on lap 11.

Thanks to the Whittier crew for once again putting aside your weekend to make a special race for us, and in memory of Dave Gavin. His family visited and many pilots got to offer their thanks. We do miss Dave, but what a great way to honor his friendship with all.

Results are below! (Click to see a larger image file)

Chuck
11H

424:
Gavin-424-2021-results.jpg
426:
Gavin-426-2021-results.jpg
422:
Gavin-422-2021-results.jpg
Laird
Super Contributor

Post by Laird »

It was a fun weekend, probably one of my best (that's not saying much...) and I can't believe Jeff and I didn't mid air in the fly off, many close calls.

It should be noted that the second picture in Dave Yost's post is that of Rusty Van Baren getting his NMPRA Hall of Fame Induction plaque. Long deserved...he's been racing since '71 and has made a big impact in racing, especially with the introduction of the Miss Ashley II Q40, which was revolutionary at the time (and over 600 kits have been delivered). In the pic with Rusty is his wife Barbara, his son, Matt (far right) and Doug Killabrew (long time racing partner). Many of you have probably raced Rusty or his son Matt over the years.

After the race I got to take Matt flying in my RV6. First time I've had an F35 pilot in the airplane! He's about to start building a RV8 once his kit arrives. I was just trying to get him some motivation :)

Can't wait for a full West Coast schedule next year.

Laird
MSALAZAR
Super Contributor

Post by MSALAZAR »

Well, the fourth Dave Gavin Memorial race is behind us...

The weather was a bit challenging on Saturday, with some drizzle a couple of times, but Sunday was nice as usual in SoCal.
During the pilots meeting, our young friend Rusty VanBaren was inducted into the NMPRA Hall of Fame... Congrats Rusty on a well earned and long awaited induction.
We had 25 pilots in all three classes, generating 41 entries, and since this year we had no other races in the West Coast, we did something different in lieu of the Series Grand Champ per class for the year. We did a grand champion for the weekend accumulating points on all classes flown. The Weekend grand champion was Robert Holik.
Congrats to the winners in all classes (Chuck Andraka posted the results above this post), and thank you all for supporting our events. Hopefully we will get back to a normal full calendar of races next year!

I'd like to thank the SGVRCL for supporting all our events and for all the volunteers who donated their weekend time, so we could go fast and turn left.

I would also like to thank Dave Gavin's family, who attended the race in full force. The Gavin's are a very special family and they absolutely love to be a part of the events.

Finally, I'd like to thank my teammates Dan Thordarson for everything he does, from coordinating, to executing and everything in between and Chuck Andraka for all his help with the Matrix and training new volunteers with judge system.

See you all next year!
Attachments
Rusty VanBaren inducted into the NMPRA HofF
Rusty VanBaren inducted into the NMPRA HofF
Dave Gavin's family
Dave Gavin's family
Mario Salazar