2021 Mike Tallman Legacy/NMPRA Championship race

Pylon Racing General Interest --
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

2021 Mike Tallman Legacy/NMPRA Championship race

Post by rs-ssfan »

Now that the celebration of America is over, lets talk about some racing.

As was briefly mentioned some time ago Heartland Speed Freakz will be hosting the NMPRA Championship race in conjunction with the Mike Tallman Legacy race this year. As always we'll provide you with a laid back but competitive racing experience and hope you guys come out to join us. Here are some details about the field, race, how to get there and where to put your head at night. We're still finishing up the flyer, it will be posted ASAP. Just to get an idea on head count let me know if you're planning on coming, you can post it here or email me at lfinchcpa-sbcglobal.net. Please include your Name, AMA and any teammates. Teams are limited to 3 members, the first three names I get will be on a team any subsequent requests for that team will be orphaned. I'm sure I've missed something so don't hesitate to ask.

DATE: September 25th & 26th.

SCHEDULE: Field will be open, with course set up for practice on Thursday and Friday. Day of the races; test flying from 8:00-9:00, 9:15 pilots meeting and first heat 9:30. Minimum of 8 rounds will be flown, but we're going to shoot for 10. Ending time each day will be determined by total number of entries and how quickly we're moving things along. Saturday we'll shut down no later than 5 to give people time to pack up before dinner.

LUNCH: Vernelle Tallman has once again volunteered to cook us burgers and brats for lunch. It will include your choice of meat, chips, a bottle of water and some of the best home made brownies and cookies you will ever have. We aren't able to "sell" the lunch so we ask that you give a donation. (It's easily worth $5) Since we're expecting several more pilots than normal we're going to do things a little different than we normally do. I'm going to ask that the pilots get their lunch and eat it during your break between races. I am going to shut the racing down for 30 minutes. But this will be to give the workers time to eat and rest a bit, NOT for the pilots to eat. So in other words during the 30 minute shut down all pilots will be asked to let the workers get their food first (you'll have time before and after the 30 minutes to get yours).

ENTRY FEE: The entry fee will be $100.

AIRFIELD: The airfield is located on the west side of Lake Afton, in Goddard, KS. Goddard is just west, about 20 minutes, of Wichita. It boosts a 35'x500' asphalt runway with a grass runway next to it. It also has a dedicated race course set up that features a 50'x50' take off pad and the option to set up either a North or South course depending on wind direction. The pit area is situated right along side of the race course and is large enough so that everyone can see the entire race. See attached pictures and maps.

FLIGHTS: Flights to Wichita’s Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport are offered by all major airlines, with costs ranging between $250 - 400.

HOTELS:
Rodeway Inn
19941 W Kellogg Dr,
Goddard, KS 67052
(316) 794-3366 7.0 Miles / 11 Minutes Away from Field
$60 Single Bed , $70 Double Bed
Motel Style, Clean, But not Fancy
Gas, Fast Food & Wal-Mart Nearby

Best Western Airport Inn
6815 W Kellogg Dr
Wichita, KS 67209
(316) 942-5600 15 Miles / 20 Minutes Away From Field
$75-$105 /night Estimate
Close to Airport (Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower), Restaurants, Grocery, Gas

Holiday Inn Express & Suites
(Wichita Airport)
1236 S Dugan Rd
Wichita, KS 67202
(316) 52-0008 16 Miles / 22 Minutes Away From Field
$100-$135 /night Estimate
Next to Airport (Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower), Restaurants, Grocery, Gas

Double Tree by Hilton
2098 Eisenhower Airport Pkwy
Wichita, KS 67209
(316) 945-5272 16 Miles / 23 Minutes Away From Field
$100-$135 /night Estimate
Next to Airport (Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower),

Spring Hill Suites Marriott
6633 W Kellogg Dr, Wichita, KS 67209
(316) 260-4404 15 Miles / 20 Minutes Away From Field
$105 /night Estimate
Next to Airport (Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower), Restaurants, Grocery, Gas

DNNER: We will be providing a dinner on Saturday evening. The food will be on us, you just need to bring your beverage of choice. Dan "Chop" Ulledahl will be preparing a BBQ dinner. It will be at a building located just north of the airfield and will begin after racing, probably some where around 6-6:30-ish.

PRIZES/AWARDS: Awards will be given out for finish places based on the total number of entries, with a minimum of 5 being given out, and for fast time. We will also have a raffle to give away some prizes. At this time we have a Small Wonder, Q40 Engine of choice and a Vortex and are working on additional items. I'll update it as soon as I know for sure what we'll have. The method used will be random drawing, with each entry fee being given a ticket. No additional tickets will be sold, and you have to be present to win.

SPECIAL RULES: In the event a light and a cut are received on the same lap at Pylon 1, the cut will stand and a refly will not be granted.
Attachments
Tallman 2021 flyer.pdf
(860.48 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Last edited by rs-ssfan on Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Re: 2021 Mike Tallman Legacy/NMPRA Championship race

Post by rs-ssfan »

Here is the pilot's list as of now. I've "heard" that others are coming but until I hear from them directly I won't be adding them to the list.

1 Lonnie Finch
2 Mark Martin
3 Neil Martin
4 Doug Scherrer
5 AJ Seaholm
6 Ken VanTuyl
7 Rich Beers
8 Dan Coe
9 Joanne Coffey
10 Bryan Blanchard
11 Marcus Blanchard
12 Scott Hartman
13 Gary James
14 Gary Fisher
15 Fred French
16 Mike Deneve
17 Terry Frazer
18 Tim Lampe
19 Duane Gall
20 Marty Bonse
21 Roger Burright
22 Eddie Jump
23 Craig Grunkemeyer
24 Dan Kane
25 Kent Nogy
26 Tom Scott
27 Jim Allen
28 Brian Osman
29 Jordan Peace
30 Mike Helsel
31 Dub Jett
32 Richard Oliver
33 Kurt Bozarth
34 Hank Dieponbroek
35 Craig Farthing
36 Dennis Cranfill
37 Leo Nordell
38 Mark Parker
39 Mario Aboumrad
40 Juan Arguello
41 Javier Castellanos
42 Salvador Chavez
43 Robert Rau
44 Alex Vasquez
45 Pat Galarneault
46 Pat Redig
47 Phil Zuidema
48 Chuck Andraka
49 Jacob Raquet
50 Dan Thordarson
51 Matt Fehling
52 Brian Richmond
53 Randy Bridge
54 Ray Brown
55 Travis Flynn
56 Doug Killebrew
57 Ray Coletto
58 Mario Travieso
59 Joe Linsangan
60 Laird Owens
61 Lee VonDerHey
Last edited by rs-ssfan on Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:54 am, edited 14 times in total.
iamtom
Super Contributor

Post by iamtom »

I am planning to come.
Grunk possible as well.
123READY TURN
stoned
Super Contributor

Post by stoned »

I'm coming
Dean Stone
Don't have a Caller yet
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

I was reminded that since this is the NMPRA champ race you are required to be a member of NMPRA to race. According to the list posted on the forums there are several, like half the list, that aren't members. I've asked Shane to give me an updated list of members, once I get it I'll go through the list and will highlight the ones that are showing as non-members. If you can take care of this before the race that would be tremendously helpful but I'll be happy to collect your $25 when you register for the race. :D

Pilots list was just updated. Turn out is looking pretty good, hope it keeps growing.

I'm going to borrow a page from Jim Allen and post pilot meeting notes. Please read them as I'll be doing a very condensed version the day of racing to speed things along. I'll get them posted sometime next week.

Lonnie
MikeyD
Super Contributor

Post by MikeyD »

Mike DeNeve
21p
s10promod
Super Contributor

Post by s10promod »

One of my Co-workers has Bunkhouse rental campers available for the Champ race.
Set-up and delivered to the camp ground nearest the flying site.
Call or text Chris 316 461-4655
Pat Redig
Super Contributor

Post by Pat Redig »

Three coming from Minnesota: Phil Zuidema, Pat Galarneault, and Pat Redig - P-cubed Racing Team!
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Pilots list is updated and it's looking pretty good.
Fly Fast n Left
Super Contributor

Post by Fly Fast n Left »

Please add Jacob Raquet 650786

No caller yet.
Terry Frazer
Super Contributor

Post by Terry Frazer »

Terry Frazer AMA 263
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Pilot's list updated.
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

As promised here are the notes for the pilots meeting. Please take the time to read them as I will be doing a condensed version during the pilots meeting the morning of the race.

Early launches, we have some callers that really push the envelope with this so I want to address it now.

Rule: 13.1.7: Each heat race begins with the aircraft stationary at or behind the start/finish line

As you can clearly see the plane is to be stationary, not moving at all, until the signal to launch is given. So for you guys that anticipate, start pushing when the "1" goes out, the light and start pushing before it comes on, that's an early launch. Same goes for the guys that start way behind the line and push but don't cross the line until the light comes on.

My starter will be standing on the right side of the planes looking down the line and back at the display board and will be able to see clearly if you are moving before the light comes on.

Consider this to be your warning as no warning will be given the day of the race.
Attachments
Pilots Meeting Notes.doc
(34.5 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Couple more international entries from Team Mexico added to the list.
vonderhey
Super Contributor

Post by vonderhey »

Please add Von Der Hey to the list. Teammates TBD.
Thank you.