P.L.A.T.E. (course equipment) Tom Melshimer (CAPS)

Pylon Racing General Interest --
TomMels

Re: P.L.A.T.E. (course equipment) Tom Melshimer (CAPS)

Post by TomMels »

Howdy all!
Sorry I have not been active on the form, I will do better.
As the designer, donor, fabricator... of P.L.A.T.E. I appreciate the feedback from the racers who have used the system at the last CAPS and Sundowners races.

I am in the process of making some changes to address the observations and suggestions in your posts:
A much brighter LED for the pylon (1, 2, 3 and Starter) cut indicators is under investigation and will consider some sort of blink function.
The lane designators from the Turn 1 display were removed for the Sundowners race and I agree this is better.
The Turn 1 display will have drop down panels with large numbers (1, 2, 3 and 4) to help with lane identification.
Future CAPS races will have a display high up on the Starter cage for better visibility by the callers/pilots.

P.L.A.T.E. will become "open source" by the end of summer 2022. All design (PCB, Mechanical, electrical, software source, BOM's, etc.) will be made available free of charge. The details of how to do this are being discussed now.

More soon and please continue to help me evolve P.L.A.T.E
mikecondon
Super Contributor

Post by mikecondon »

Well done Tom. I couldn't be any prouder for the job you have done with the PLATE!! Keeping everyone updated with the ongoing are most important.
You and I have spoken many times and have been on the same page with our self input!!....surprising!!!
Keep up the great work!!!
TomMels

Post by TomMels »

Just a quick update on P.L.A.T.E.
Displaying pylon/cut turn indicators: I am evaluating multiple LEDs or a brighter single unit. 24 assembled Printed Circuit Boards exist so I need to find a modification that does not involve replacement of these boards ($$$). Scotty's idea about flashing the LEDs is a good one, thanks.

Mark Zeal has been "volunteered" to make new 3D printed "Pickles". His design is most robust, Thanks Mark!

All of the LEDs in the system are being driven at about 65% max continuous power, I am evaluating taking them to 95% (easy to do) and see what impact this has on battery life. The goal for P.L.A.T.E. is to run a minimum of 10 hours on one battery. This goal is being met by dimming all LEDs when not in a race heat.

Many people are working hard to integrate the timing system with the rest of the computer system. We hope to have some of these ideas ready to test for the Spring CAPS race (Indy Shootout).

It is very cool that several people are collaborating on race equipment and processes for the betterment of our hobby/sport. Thanks to all!
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

Hello Tom.

I was impressed how you incrementally tested PLATE and gradually worked it into the races. I was also pleased with how well the system appears to work and enhance the racing experience. Most important, thanks for your personal expenditure in time and money to put this together. Can't wait to see these improvements in play for next year!

Thank you. :D

Tim Lampe