P.L.A.T.E. (course equipment) Tom Melshimer (CAPS)

Pylon Racing General Interest --
kane
Super Contributor

P.L.A.T.E. (course equipment) Tom Melshimer (CAPS)

Post by kane »

Over this past weekend the CAPS crew held the Ben and Carolyn Martin Classic event. 2 days of racing with some of the best from around the country. The Boy Scouts provide the workforce and ARE some of the best around. Tom Melshimer, CAPS president, has worked tirelessly to develop and create a lighting and timing system to be used for pylon events in the Midwest. The new equipment has some improvements over the judgeman system while also mimicking the golden standard. The reason for this post is to obtain feedback on the equipment that was used this past weekend. The good the bad and the ugly. This info will be used by Tom to improve his system. Therefore, if you have attended a CAPS race where the new equipment was used I would like to see comments on the equipment.

Thanks,

DK
kane
Super Contributor

Re: P.L.A.T.E. (course equipment) Tom Melshimer (CAPS)

Post by kane »

I will start...

I was the starter along with Ray Brown, and Trey Witte on Sunday. I don't know if I could have survived without their help. As the starter a couple items stand out as useful.

1. at the completion of the heat Tom, has designed a printer similar to register receipt that is printed at the line and clearly shows split times and total race times. This allowed us to quickly record times in most cases prior to the planes landing. If there were any timing issues with laps, I could easily see if a lap was missed and make a judgement call on the line without having to search the computer for a previous heat.

2. The system is cleared by the starter. I can clear the cuts with a push of a button prior to the start of the next heat.

3. Communications between nodes seemed to be excellent, we did not miss a heat due to communication issues.

Pros:
The yellow standards (display bases) are well engineered and are very stable.
The starting sequence is very clear and the delay between the timer and signal to launch is very quick which seemed to eliminate early launch issues.
The count down clock and launch lights are very vibrant and clear.
Batteries lasted the entire day, no stoppage for battery replacement.
A turn light and cut light cannot be given for a single lap.

Cons:
Cut signals (small LEDs similar to judgeman) are difficult to see and distinguish where a cut was made.
Lane markers at pylon one are made via LEDs and are confusing when cuts and turn lights are present. Turn lights are green, one cut is yellow and double cuts are red. The green and red are lost with the HIGH GREEN and HIGH RED lane indicators. Perhaps some bold standards showing the lane number above the signal to turn would be sufficient for pylon one.

Hopefully there are some additional comments let us know what you think.

DK
tipatter

Post by tipatter »

Don’t know how to post a pic here, but I got a picture of Tom nurturing his creation.
Good work Tom. [attachment=0]C07D821C-EA9F-4E36-BDF5-ECF03592ECBB.jpeg[/attachment]
Attachments
C07D821C-EA9F-4E36-BDF5-ECF03592ECBB.jpeg
stoned
Super Contributor

Post by stoned »

I thought the new system worked very well. The lights were much easier to see than in the past. I would like to see the zero removed in the count down making the system the same as the judgeman. Make the #1 light cases a little bigger so there would be more separation between the cut/turn lites. Lane 1 was a little confusing when a cut was posted. I'm in no way complaining here! Dean
MikeyD
Super Contributor

Post by MikeyD »

+1..What Dean said.
Sparky
Super Contributor

Post by Sparky »

I'm not sure it was clear but the spacing latterly between each lane at Turn one could be wider and the same issue with the High Red and High Green being a bit confusing discerning if it was a cut in that lane as we only glance at the board. In one race I was the caller and thought the other guy had a cut.
The turn lights could be a bit brighter as well.
I echo the pylon cut light placement on the board.
Placing the lap board up on the starters screen on the second day helped a lot. Sometimes there were people in the line of sight.
Communicating a start cut is problematic.
Is it possible I can get a time print out of my own for post race debrief or link to a website would really be slick :)

Tom shouldn't ever have to buy another beer. Well done.

Sparky
Team Prowler
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

I'll post my comments before reading those who commented before me so as not to be influenced, or whatever the correct term would be. :?:

First thing I noticed was there were few or no equipment glitches - at least none that I noticed. I believe the communication between all the devices must be more robust than before, so no realigning antennas, etc. (Though I believe one of the judge's pickles failed (I hate when that happens!), but a quick replacement solved that.)

The big, bright, green turn lights were awesome! Easy to identify and see! Huge thumbs up there!

A printout of each race result out on the course immediately after the race also seemed to assist in eliminating/reducing much of the confusion that can occur after close races with lead changes and cuts. Another huge plus!

I would prefer the pilot/caller's light board be mounted on the cage up high like it used to be.

As discussed during the event, the lights on the board that indicate where a cut has taken place were a little tiny and hard to see. But as the racing progressed I became more adapt at locating these. Also, seemed like those lights didn't aluminate until several seconds after the infraction occurred (or, maybe that was just my imagination).

Great job Tom and whomever else helped. Wow! Monumental task I'm sure.

Thank you!

Tim Lampe
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

As a starter the cut lights were the problem. One little LED hidden amongst hundreds of other green and red LEDs. That being said the “cut light” bar was visible but still hard to tell where the cut came from. I heard one pilot telling another the 2-3 cuts were on top of the display and a cut on pylon one was on the bottom. Seems everyone was confused.
And I said, here am I send me.
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

Complete control of the system from the line was cool. Printouts of the heat in real time was cooler.
And I said, here am I send me.
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Post by airplanescotty »

Mr. Greg Cardillo developed an interface between Race and the internet for Real Time Results via the LARKS Website! It was cool, worked very well. Once the results were entered into "Race" system they became available Via the LARKS Website! This interface was well received by all!!! :roll: :wink: :D

The interface was used at our Team Trials and again at the following race!!

Tom/Danny,,, this functionality will be used at the March Tavares race, and you two are very much invited to attend!!! :wink: :P

During the race I was thinking the only thing this excellent system needs is an interface for the Results,,,, If interested,, I can give you Greg's contact information for inquiry/discussion prior to our March race! airplanescotty@gmail :)

I too thought the system was excellent from my Pilot perspective,,, I liked the Countdown Go Lights, and diff color cut lights!!! Only comment/complaint from my caller was when someone was blocking her view of the Turn Light :roll: :cry: :P

XXOO

Scotty
QTR ~ Waste Not A Moment!!!!!
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Post by airplanescotty »

I would like to make everyone aware of Danny & Tom's Exemplary conduct during the 2 results ceremonies!!

We had Two, not one but Two,,, young adults competing at this race,,,, Annabelle Doe, Tom's daughter and Mitchell Hupt, Augie's son,,,, Whatta treat!!! :wink:

At both ceremonies, Danny went thru the entire pilot list, bottom to top, which of course gave recognition to everyone, including our two new young competitors :wink: :cry: :D

The most exciting part for me was on Sunday, when Danny announced Annabelle's name and results,,, I happened to be directly across from her and was able to see her eye's light with excitement, a little shyness, and of course pride in her accomplishment!!

I strongly believe Annabelle will never forget that special moment, in her life,,, Never!!!!!!

High marks Gentlemen,,, Well Done!!!!!

XXOO

Scotty
T.Doe
Super Contributor

Post by T.Doe »

1st, I really enjoyed the new system, my only complaint would be the cut lights ,1,2 & 3 perhaps add a second light to each and even make them blue so that they stand out from the rest of the board.
2nd, DK always does a great job at the end of the day with pointing out how people finished as well as recognizing what is almost always personal achievements. During the day after Annabelle's 3rd heat race we had landed and DK walked up and handed me Annabelle's time slip so that we could discuss each one of her laps, I didn't ask he just did it so that we can help her improve, Thank you Dan.
Last, Scotty thank you, myself and Grandpa could not be more proud of are little lady, and the support everyone has given Annabelle is amazing, got to see the same support poured out to Mitchell. I believe the are both all in.
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Post by airplanescotty »

I was thinking about the lights, and all the work it would entail to add another color or more or whatever......

What if the reverse was applied????

At the beginning, all lights are illuminated depicting a triangle,, then as the cuts occur the lights go out,,,,,,

Easy to spot the missing light, and maybe just a few lines of coding change,,,,, :roll: :oops: :cry: :P :D

Just a thought :D

XXOO
Sparky
Super Contributor

Post by Sparky »

Scotty,
Great Idea! Another option to consider is have the cut pylon light blink instead of just coming on steady as it is now? It would need to blink faster than the heat boards at the staging area.
Sparky
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Post by airplanescotty »

Agree,, blinking would be an easy coding change, and negate any hardware improvements!!!

Scotty