M.W. "Red" Cranfill

Pylon Racing General Interest --
dwc1
Super Contributor

M.W. "Red" Cranfill

Post by dwc1 »

I regret to inform the pylon community of the passing of my grandfather, Red Cranfill. He was an active model aviation competitor going as far back as the 1950s when him and his brother competed in control line combat, rat race, and stunt. He became heavily active in pylon racing in the early 1980s when he started competing in Quickie 500 in the days of Comos with tuned pipes, and quickly moved in to Formula 1 racing, competing in form1 contests until the event came to an end. He continued competing in the Q-500 and Q-40 classes until around 2008. He ultimately was the reason for my transition from control line combat to R/C pylon racing, and taught me a great deal along the way.

My grandfather began a model aviation legacy that has lasted 4 generations, and I will forever be grateful for the time I was allowed to spend with him, my dad, and my uncle, who have all gone on, traveling to and from contests, competing, and making memories. Until we meet again...

DWC
stoned
Super Contributor

Re: M.W. "Red" Cranfill

Post by stoned »

Sorry about Mr Red,super guy . I'm glad I got to meet him. I'd climb 80 foot up a tree for him anytime. Dean
J Duda
Super Contributor

Post by J Duda »

Dennis - I am very sorry to hear this. My deepest condolences on the passing of your grandfather. He was a very special man and will be dearly missed by many.

Thoughts and prayers to the Cranfill family.
Jason D
Attachments
Bar-X Group1.JPG
Red - Ricky Cranfill.JPG
Trolley BarX2.JPG
Terry Frazer
Super Contributor

Post by Terry Frazer »

Red and Ricky was two of my hero’s RIP Terry
pastpres
Super Contributor

Post by pastpres »

Sorry to hear about Red, a great guy. Lloyd
bob brogdon
Super Contributor

Post by bob brogdon »

Linda and I offer our condolences. Sad news for sure.
fredy123
Contributor

Post by fredy123 »

Sorry to hear about Red Cranfill passing. He was one of my mentors in the hobby. The picture with Red, my caller, was mounted to a 1st place trophy in Formula 1. The other attached picture was at the cajun control line Nats with Red and Dickie Ritch, Both of these guys will always be remembered for there friendship and great memories in the hobby.
Fred French
Attachments
scanrf.pdf
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 146 times
scanfrs.pdf
(485.38 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
lmotv1
Super Contributor

Post by lmotv1 »

Hey there Dennis, so sorry about your grandfather, our prayers with his soul, and your family.
Sincere regards,
Luis Manuel