2022 Phoenix Winterfest and QM Classic

Pylon Racing General Interest --
jima
Super Contributor

2022 Phoenix Winterfest and QM Classic

Post by jima »

The Speedworld RC Flyers will be hosting the 2022 Winterfest Q500 426 and EF1, and the February QM Classic on the below dates:

Winterfest, January 8-9
QM Classic, February 5-6

We had to move the QM Classic up one more week to get away from several events on the following weekend that would create too many conflicts.

The Speedworld club received our new use permit from Maricopa County to replace the previous one that expired in Sept 2021. The new permit has a new stipulation that: ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED ON THE PROPERTY where the Speedworld facility is located. This is not just a "keep it out of sight" situation. We could potentially loose the field if this requirement is violated. We do not take this lightly. The late afternoon and evening activities will need to not include adult beverages. You'll just have to get that last guy flying from your group to finish up so you can find a local watering hole to visit. Sorry but this is the way it has to be.

I will be posting the entry form/flyers shortly and you will be sending them to Roy Andrassy as you have the last couple of years. I greatly appreciate Roy's help with this. He will arrive in AZ next week so we can get that process started. WE should be able to take PayPal for entry fees but doing some verification on that before the flyers go out.

We're looking forward to seeing all of our friends again after not being able to hold our events last winter.

Regards,

Jim Allen
jima
Super Contributor

Re: 2022 Phoenix Winterfest and QM Classic

Post by jima »

Please find posted here the race flyer/entry forms for the 2022 Phoenix Winterfest 426/EF1 race and the February QM Classic Q40 race. We hope to see many of you back to enjoy the warm Arizona weather again this year. The club is excited to host these events again after the year off in 2021.

Entries will be sent to Roy Andrassy who we're happy to have back for the winter again this year. His contact info is on the flyers.

We are accepting PayPal for payments with the Friends and Family option. When entering with PayPal, please send Roy an email with the information requested on the below form and note that you paid by PayPal.

A couple of reminders. You will be expected to have the FAA Recreational registration and take the FAA TRUST test per AMA. Here is the link to the AMA page to take the trust training and quiz: https://www.modelaircraft.org/trust

We will be sending out pilots meeting notes a couple weeks before the races to those who have registered

Have a great holiday season and we look forward to seeing lots of our friends in January and February.

Best Regards,

Jim Allen
Attachments
2022 Wfst flyer.pdf
2022 Phx Winterfest Q500/EF1 race flyer
(30.14 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
2022 QM Classic Flyer.pdf
2022 Phx QM Classic flyer
(34.29 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Kurt Bozarth
Super Contributor

Post by Kurt Bozarth »

Jim,

I plan on attending but I haven’t registered. Should I mail my entry in or simply show up and register at the field on Thursday or Friday?

Kurt
Kurt Bozarth
kbozarth01@gmail.com
jima
Super Contributor

Post by jima »

Hi Kurt,

Please contact Roy and get entered. I doubt that we'll bump a limit but need to get a feel for how many we're going to have.

Jim
jima
Super Contributor

Post by jima »

Hello,

I know the word has been spreading but we wanted to give an update on the Winterfest weekend. Yes, we did cancel the event. Several racers made it in for practice on Thursday and a majority of the rest were here Friday. The weather was great and would largely continue through the weekend. Then, we had a problem.

The Speedworld crew, including myself and Roy Andrassy were busy most of the day getting things in order and doing registration. The system gave us some headaches but we worked through those. The matrix was done Friday night and then I got a txt and call from Roy. He had been having some cold like symptoms and decided to take a Covid-19 home test. It came back positive....twice.

After taking a minute, I reached out to the rest of the Speedworld club Board of Directors to discuss our options. In the end, we decided the right thing to do was to cancel the event and not risk exposing any more people. Of course everyone was disappointed Saturday morning but we really appreciate how understanding everyone was. Let me tell you, that was noticed by the club members who were there. I personally want to thank everyone for that.

We told everyone, as they arrived, about the cancellation and that they were welcome to fly all they wanted to practice on the course. Some took advantage of that.

On Sunday, Roy had a PCR test taken and it also came back positive on Monday. This confirmed that we had made the right call. Roy is now doing fine and feeling almost back to normal...or at least as normal as ROY gets. :-)

Once again, we thank all who were here for their understanding and it was good to see everyone having fun Thursday and Friday. We are working to return the entry fees to those who had paid. Fortunately, we were able to get credit for a couple of our expenses like radios and security to apply to the Feb QM race weekend.

Speaking of that, the Speedworld Board of Directors have confirmed that we are going to press forward with the 2022 February QM Classic on February 5-6. We have had several inquiries since what happened this past weekend but, we are moving forward. Entries are coming in nicely but we would always like to see more. We will not bump any limits so get your entries in to Roy Andrassy as shown on the flyer. We're looking forward to a great weekend of racing in early February as we have been doing since 1986!

I'm going to make a specific post that we are pressing on with the QM Classic for clarity. Hope to see you here!!

Jim Allen
Speedworld RC Flyers