2021 424 LIST OF CONTESTS

Pylon Racing General Interest --
kane
Super Contributor

2021 424 LIST OF CONTESTS

Post by kane »

Please review the list of contests attached below. If you attended a contest and it is not listed please let me know.

NOTE: Tangerine did not have 5 pilots therefore, the results do not count for National points.

DK
Attachments
424 NMPRA 2021 races.JPG
Mr_McGlue
Super Contributor

Re: 2021 424 LIST OF CONTESTS

Post by Mr_McGlue »

There was a 424 race at Whittier in October.
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

We need at least 5 pilots to allow a contest to count for NMPRA points. The Whittier race and the tangerine race fell below this min requirement.

DK
Mr_McGlue
Super Contributor

Post by Mr_McGlue »

Oh ok got it thanks.

Robert
DT
Super Contributor

Post by DT »

Robert thanks so much for being talked into flying 424 at the Dave Gavin race, without your support we would not have held the 424 event! I think we need to move forward with thoughts we’ve had for west coast 424, we can’t attract enough 424 quickies so we need to move forward with race what you brung to expose people to racing and the excitement! Quickies, 40 & 60 size trainers, since no points let’s get more interest going! Hopefully some rules go into the new “E” Quickie that prohibits pylon pros from killing the newbies? Unfortunately the pit fires at Whittier turned the club off from EF1 and comments that why are the big boys going out and lapping the newbies 3 times! 😡

Thanks again Robert! You’re #1 in our thoughts!
Dan Thordarson
Member of the 57 sec club
53c
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

DT wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:20 pm Robert thanks so much for being talked into flying 424 at the Dave Gavin race, without your support we would not have held the 424 event! I think we need to move forward with thoughts we’ve had for west coast 424, we can’t attract enough 424 quickies so we need to move forward with race what you brung to expose people to racing and the excitement! Quickies, 40 & 60 size trainers, since no points let’s get more interest going! Hopefully some rules go into the new “E” Quickie that prohibits pylon pros from killing the newbies? Unfortunately the pit fires at Whittier turned the club off from EF1 and comments that why are the big boys going out and lapping the newbies 3 times! 😡

Thanks again Robert! You’re #1 in our thoughts!

Not sure if I should duck and cover, but I will take any shot you fire. :D

Seriously, pros beat newbies because newbies aren't pros. It is really that simple. I remember reading a story about Bob Smith, racing, landing and walking back to the pits before the other pilots finished. Pros don't fly the event the events don't exist. Pros need to show the Newbie what to do or in some cases what not to do. This is why it is important to have "PROS" lead.

Having said all that, you have to do what is right for your group. If you don't want newbies being lapped 3 times don't fly head to head. Fly with a break out time like the two pole guys do.

In the end it is about pylon racing. Everyone has opinions, keep fighting for what you want, but doing nothing won't light the spark, so try something.

DK
DT
Super Contributor

Post by DT »

Dan K, thanks for the reply! I was hoping my shot across the bow would get some people thinking! I think we can all agree that Fostering interest in the newbies is important though opinions very on how to do that! I do agree that you only get faster when you fly with faster compilation so I think you’re saying that R&R should run hand in hand with the 424 events but the pros fly along side the newbies for show and tell not for points and trophies! Great idea! Our $14 trophies mean little to those that have dozens hanging on their walls or in boxes in the Attic but for those newbies they mean the world!! We do agree on that!! Back when I started racing when you won a 424 event the whole race crowd would yell “Move Up” so more excitement was obtainable for those learning!

Thanks Dan I embrace and enjoy our differences in approach’s

See you soon!
Dan Thordarson
Member of the 57 sec club
53c
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

DT,

Run what you brung type racing really only works with the break out style racing. Head to head against a guy with piped kaos that can't really race is still going to be problematic. Way back when the Nelson 428 engine was first coming out guys were still racing Rossi's and Webra's, we thought is was a good idea to allow these guys to fly 9 laps against the Nelson's. This was great right up to the point where the "PRO" started beating the nelson guys while he was flying a Webra. SEMPRA, NEPRO and CAPS all had break out times where guys had to move up when they broke out. Many did. Now-a-days we don't have the numbers to support that. So we collectively need to figure out how to work together to enjoy a weekend of racing. I don't have all the answers. Whittier fires, were caused by guys trying to "WIN" at all cost. Not the best when trying to foster growth. As a result we changed the EF-1 rules for the better. This helped stabilize what guys did.

424E really does fly well and is fairly straight forward. Hopefully, some of the lessons learned from EF-1 carry over.

DK