Electric 424 Q500

Pylon Racing General Interest --
REA2
Super Contributor

Re: Electric 424 Q500

Post by REA2 »

Well it’s been a few years but the last time I raced either 424 or EF-1 in the south there were only 5-6 pilots that showed up. Support for electric could be better, and this is how it could start. It would be a wonderful idea to just race both airplanes together. Isn’t the point to get more people racing ?

Die hards have your Q40 and 426. Let those who want fly electric or 424 have a little fun.
vonderhey
Super Contributor

Post by vonderhey »

Around ten years ago at Whittier Narrows the San Gabriel Radio Control League was running EF-1 and 424 on a 400’ course. This is the same course that we ran California Quickie on in the late 1970s to the mid 1980s. This was the AMA QM short course. We ran these races for several seasons. The 400’ course made 424 much more exciting and EF-1 performance didn’t seem to change because of the longer course. We did not use a light system. We just counted up the cuts at the end of each heat. This format produced many first time winners which set the hook. It also attracted new pilots as well and did not require near as many workers. One of the new pilots that was attracted by this event became a NMPRA Q-40 Champion a few years later.
So the question is what is the exact speed difference between the two classes? Well with the experience of several seasons under our belts I can safely say this. The best 424s had numerous times of 1:12 to 1:16 with a course record of 1:08+. The best
EF-1s were running 1:15s to 1:19s with a course record of 1:13+.
424 technology has not changed much since these races were run several years ago. However EF-1 has seen improvements with airframes, motors, speed controllers and in some cases batteries which probably has narrowed the gap between the two classes.
We use to get 15 to 20 entries with 424 and 10 to 15 EF-1 entries using this format. The simplicity of not having turn lights was a contributing factor to the format because the new pilots would watch the seasoned veterans race against each other which usually meant multiple cuts for them. This opened the gates for the new pilots to finish on the podium. Hence, “Setting the hook”.
Von Der Hey
REA2
Super Contributor

Post by REA2 »

A majority of us, If we admit truth don’t have the thumbs to make the small speed difference matter.
And this is why I want to try 424E if the speeds are any where near close as it has been said.

The class of pilot who cares about the difference in times is the same class of pilot constantly winning at Q40 or 426.
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

vonderhey wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:14 am Around ten years ago at Whittier Narrows the San Gabriel Radio Control League was running EF-1 and 424 on a 400’ course. This is the same course that we ran California Quickie on in the late 1970s to the mid 1980s. This was the AMA QM short course. We ran these races for several seasons. The 400’ course made 424 much more exciting and EF-1 performance didn’t seem to change because of the longer course. We did not use a light system. We just counted up the cuts at the end of each heat. This format produced many first time winners which set the hook. It also attracted new pilots as well and did not require near as many workers. One of the new pilots that was attracted by this event became a NMPRA Q-40 Champion a few years later.
So the question is what is the exact speed difference between the two classes? Well with the experience of several seasons under our belts I can safely say this. The best 424s had numerous times of 1:12 to 1:16 with a course record of 1:08+. The best
EF-1s were running 1:15s to 1:19s with a course record of 1:13+.
424 technology has not changed much since these races were run several years ago. However EF-1 has seen improvements with airframes, motors, speed controllers and in some cases batteries which probably has narrowed the gap between the two classes.
We use to get 15 to 20 entries with 424 and 10 to 15 EF-1 entries using this format. The simplicity of not having turn lights was a contributing factor to the format because the new pilots would watch the seasoned veterans race against each other which usually meant multiple cuts for them. This opened the gates for the new pilots to finish on the podium. Hence, “Setting the hook”.
Von Der Hey
I think the key to this is not having more workers than competitors. By forcing club members to work you take them away from becoming potential pilots. The workers end up being family members or outside people and that comes at a cost as well. I think for entry level racing to be somewhat successful we need outside the box thinking like this and more. One thing might be for experts to not take scores. Compete, but either get 1 point or zero depending cuts. The Holy Grail of off course judging doesn't exist. We need to be creative.

DK
vonderhey
Super Contributor

Post by vonderhey »

How about a contest like this…………
A team race with one seasoned expert and a new pilot on each team with both of their scores combined. The team with the highest combined score at the end of the contest wins.
This format should entice the seasoned expert to seek out and find potential new Pylon racers. The learning curve would be well shortened for the new pilot and the camaraderie between Pylon racers and sport flyers should increase.
Your thoughts? Von Der Hey
killerd
Super Contributor

Post by killerd »

The team concept is being tested in warbird out here in Cali. The team consists of a bronze, silver, and gold pilot and points are earned by each pilot individually and for the team. It's a contest within a contest so to speak. Each class has a breakout and in Bronze, you can bring anything you want to race(ANYTHING). It's actually named the "run what ya brung" class now. I'm sharing this because his out of the box thinking has led the event to grow leaps and bounds in just 1 year. The troops from AZ are coming to the Feb race. I heard he has 75 entries already. I'm sure it has nothing to do with having the In & Out Burger truck show up and feed everyone lunch for free either.... :roll:

Doug K

FYI, love the electric Q500 direction to help grow the sport....
Dave Yost
Super Contributor

Post by Dave Yost »

So, I have put some thought to the above mentioned format over the last few years.

1. 8 am to 12 noon, run 3 lap qualifying runs. You put your airplane in line, Indy 500 style. You can put your airplane in line as many times as you want, until the clock strikes noon, and the horn sounds. The fast time trophy is a awarded at this time!

Next, bracket times and assign heats. 4 aircraft fly off's. (20 pilots = 5 fly offs) Trophy for each bracket.

1. Invert the points. Every competitor starts with zero points.

2. No lights. Use video cameras (iPhones on mounts) to view each pylon. At the end of each 10 lap fly off, the video is reviewed. Each cut is a point added . The pilot with the lowest score, that crosses the finish line first wins.

Advantages:

1. Course workers required is reduced by 50%

2. Competitors can hone their race craft against pilots in their bracket. Get better, move up.

3. The qualifying laps add a whole different dimension....you could change props, wait for ideal conditions.....bump other competitors out of the top bracket.

4. The fly offs would be very competitive, as you would be flying against pilots with very equal lap times

5. Less airframe attrition/less chance of a battery fire caused by crashes.

Disadvantage: Less actual racing heats.

You could do a -1 point for best of show......

Dave
RCjunkie
Super Contributor

Post by RCjunkie »

With all the testing I have done with the Q/500E with 2700ma battery's I get about 16 laps with still alot of the battery left. Take of it pulls 55 amps then drop to 42 in the air
2 wrongs don't make a right But 2 Wrights makes a Airplane
Kevin Matney http://www.Matneymodels.com
734 - 848 - 8195
"IN GOD WE TRUST " 44W
Sparky
Super Contributor

Post by Sparky »

I have a QV-6 ARF that I trashed last year. I scabbed on a new nose section starting at the training edge of the wing forward. As a guess I added 2" to the nose length and I'm ready to test fly when it gets a little warmer.
Since I haven't flown it yet I'm guessing but if I were doing this again I would add 2.5" just to make it easier to get my fat fingers in the nose (if it proves to be too long just cut the nose off and install a new firewall) Based on a lower vibration and experience with electric ARF construction. I did not add all the plywood reinforcement in the original nor did i do the CF around the corners. I did add balsa triangle stock to all the corners.
I installed a Castle Phoenix Edge 75 A ESC it has cooling fins. I run the Lite version of this ESC (No Fins) in my EF-1s weight is a factor and overheating hasn't been an issue.
The ESC is screwed down to the landing gear block.
Right now ready to fly I am 4 OZ under weight! I could run a separate battery for the radio since I have weight to give instead of adding dead weight. Ill test without the ballast and then use it to trim CG where I like it.
Sparky
Sandbag Special
Super Contributor

Post by Sandbag Special »

Old School Model Works Q500

Just finished and maidened for a new racer starting this year. Came out to 62.58oz RTF with Avian motor, CC Lite75, 4x Hitec 225MG and Spektrum 100c 14.8v 3200mah G1 lipos. Took 1" standoffs for 2.75" CG.
Attachments
20220310_230817.jpg
20220310_230833.jpg
20220310_230850.jpg
20220310_230907.jpg
Matthew Fehling
Team JR/DFA
59S
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

Sandbag Special wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:38 pm Old School Model Works Q500

Just finished and maidened for a new racer starting this year. Came out to 62.58oz RTF with Avian motor, CC Lite75, 4x Hitec 225MG and Spektrum 100c 14.8v 3200mah G1 lipos. Took 1" standoffs for 2.75" CG.
You flying it at taveres?
And I said, here am I send me.
Sandbag Special
Super Contributor

Post by Sandbag Special »

Nah, this is for a new racer. Hopefully she'll be using it by OJA or Muncie though.
Matthew Fehling
Team JR/DFA
59S