Electric 424 Q500

Pylon Racing General Interest --
BernieV
Super Contributor

Electric 424 Q500

Post by BernieV »

The NMPRA provisional rules for Electric 424 Q500 have been posted for download on the rules page of the NMPRA website.

http://www.nmpra.net/rules.htm
Bernie Vanderleest

NMPRA 7w
REA2
Super Contributor

Re: Electric 424 Q500

Post by REA2 »

After a quick read , am I the only one disappointed ?

The electric option for 424 won’t even be as fast as the current 424.

4 cell battery , same 335 grams as EF1 , 9X6 prop and same EF1 motor ?

Sorry , I don’t get it.
vonderhey
Super Contributor

Post by vonderhey »

I watched Danny Kane race a Scat Cat which is a forty year old design against 424 Quickies at the Tangerine. The electric Scat Cat was just as fast as the 424 Quickies for seven laps and then it would slightly slow down for the remaining three laps. Personally I was very impressed with what I saw, even with the handicap of an older design the E-Quickie was right there with the 424 Quickies. Von Der Hey.
MikeyD
Super Contributor

Post by MikeyD »

For race weekend is the intent to run 424 in one matrix?
twitte
Super Contributor

Post by twitte »

REA2 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:05 pm After a quick read , am I the only one disappointed ?

The electric option for 424 won’t even be as fast as the current 424.

4 cell battery , same 335 grams as EF1 , 9X6 prop and same EF1 motor ?

Sorry , I don’t get it.
Ron,

Prior to establishing these provisional rules, a lot of testing of props and batteries was done. I was a small part of that testing. I was the pilot of the standard, a Ninja, 424 with a Jett motor conversion. Dan tested several props and the current draw for each to land on the 9x6E. The speed is right on. As with all racing/classes one of the biggest issues will be thumbs/practice.

These rules were developed specifically to use the EF1 equipment as much as possible. This opens up the pilot to two classes, when ready. We must look to these option to entice new pilots to our small section of the hobby.

Anytime you would like to talk about it, give me a call.

Trey
twitte
Super Contributor

Post by twitte »

MikeyD wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:14 am For race weekend is the intent to run 424 in one matrix?
Mike,

It could be. The CD would need to make this call when he feels his pilots list is firm. With exposure, this can be its own class. These new rules do not take the place of AMA 424. They are here to enhance the opportunity to attract new pilots to Pylon.

Trey
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

Some additional data points...

I have raced two different airplanes with two different motors and different props at different events probably 10 total over the last two years.

Last year at a race here in the Midwest I raced an old China Clipper with a rimfire motor, and I was able to turn a 1:19 on the 424 course. This was not fast time for the contest. Fast time was held by Daniel Troup with a lower 1:19 flying a Quick V7 and an EVO 46 motor. Throughout the weekend it was very apparent that the speeds were extremely close. Which led to further testing in Florida. Trey Witte flew a composite ninja with a Jett 40 conversion, while I flew a 37 year old scat cat with the new AVIAN motor. Up until the last round I had the best time of 1:16 and some change to Trey's 1:17. During one of the last heats Trey beat me and was able to turn a 1:15 something.

So... Is the electric slower? No, I don't think so. In the beginning it accelerates faster and is up to speed much sooner than the IC counter parts. However, as Lee pointed out it seemed to slow down. I offer a different take, the IC guys are getting faster and faster and I am going one speed. Of course it does slow down slightly due to voltage drop, but I think it all comes out in the wash.

The benefit... Pilots do not need to bend down and start and run back. This allows some of our less mobile pilots the ability to get back in position and be ready to go at the end of the clock. No running, no fuss.

Can the electric be run with the IC airplanes? Yes, I don't see any need to separate the classes. The speeds are very close and I do not think one has an advantage over the other.

We would like to take this next season to do some evaluation of equipment and see how they truly stack up and what options we have.

DK
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

Are you going to fly it at taveres?
And I said, here am I send me.
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

Are you going to fly it at taveres?
And I said, here am I send me.
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

rocket wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:21 pm Are you going to fly it at taveres?
I have talked to Scotty and he planned to include the event. I am hopeful that I can attend. At this point that is the plan.

DK
REA2
Super Contributor

Post by REA2 »

Well, interesting. I was hung up on rpm.
But I can understand the point about IC getting faster as fuel burns off.
I think electric is the way to go.
Bob_T
Super Contributor

Post by Bob_T »

Dan flew one of his 424E planes (I think it was the China Clipper) in a couple of heats at a couple of the CAPS races in 2021. It was just as competitive as any of the IC 424 planes from what I remember.

Another of the benefits I noticed is that you never miss the needle setting ... plug the battery in, arm the esc, and it just goes! Never too rich or too lean! :D

Bob
gmc
Super Contributor

Post by gmc »

Thanks Dan and all for your efforts and getting the rules posted!!
I'll be test flying my RevLution on Avian motor this weekend - and YES we will fly mixed 424 (glow and electric in same matrix) at Tavares as well as EF1 (on 424 course but separate matrix).
Now that the rules are out there, flyer will be out hopefully this weekend.
Greg
Dave Yost
Super Contributor

Post by Dave Yost »

I will be modifying a Ricochet fus for this soon.

A few questions:

1. What size and c rating battery produces the best results for the legal weight? (Wide open for the heat, land, and put no more 80% of the battery capacity back in)

2. Does the nose need to be lengthened? Battery all the way forward?

3. ESC location and cooling?

Pictures of the set up on a high wing Q500 would be great.

Thanks, Dave
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Post by airplanescotty »

I gave the Tavares CD, Greg Cardillo, two planes, Viper and something else,, and the EF acquisitions have been immediate, fast & Furious! :roll:
The last I spoke to him he was waiting on one more component!!! We should fly it soon!!! :lol: :oops: :P :D

I will be working Pylon 2 but have committed to fly my Ninja/Jett Conversion in this 424 event!!! :o :oops:

Greg has been waiting for the rules publication to finalize the Race Flyer, so we should have one very soon!!!

So plan on 424 being a mix of EF and IC at Tavares, March 19 & 20!!!! :P

Oh, almost forgot,,,, plan to enjoy "Real-Time" race results via your Cell Phone,,, as Greg plans to have his/this software running at the race :wink: :roll: :P :D

XXOO

Scotty
QTR ~ Waste Not A Moment!!!!!