Electric 424 Q500

Pylon Racing General Interest --
rocket
Super Contributor

Re: Electric 424 Q500

Post by rocket »

The battery rule is a single 4s with maximum weight. Or can you run 2 x 4s with a combined weight to match. The reason I ask is I have a bunch of 1500mah 4s packs that I could use a splitter. I have the speed control and a don moody quicksilver Q500. I would only need it the motor.
And I said, here am I send me.
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

gmc wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:15 pm
kane wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:26 pm Yes, the rimfire was discontinued and replaced with the AVIAN motor. Basically a re-brand. Having said that, the older rimfire motors are still legal, and the 5 year old one in the picture is of a legal motor.

DK
Well that explains why when I couldn't find a replacement Avian prop adapter - I took a chance ordering the Rimfire one and it was a perfect match....
We won't talk about why I needed a replacement prop adapter for a plane that hasn't left the shop yet... :oops:
Yes, we were hoping to get the shaft turned around and allow the use of collet type adapters. Unfortunately, that did not happen. Glad you got it to work.

DK
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

rocket wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:18 am The battery rule is a single 4s with maximum weight. Or can you run 2 x 4s with a combined weight to match. The reason I ask is I have a bunch of 1500mah 4s packs that I could use a splitter. I have the speed control and a don moody quicksilver Q500. I would only need it the motor.
Ray, definitely worth a shot. The rules say you need one 4 cell pack contained within heat shrink. So two packs is 8 cells. Violates this rule. HOWEVER, I think it is worth a test. IF I was the CD and you showed up with this, I would allow it for 1 contest, just to gain additional data. Two 1500 4S packs in parallel puts you at 3000Mah, and 14.8V. I think you could definitely use this set up for testing, but have one race pack for race day. It would be interesting to see what the voltage of each pack looks like. Make sure you do not exceed the 16.9V rule.

AND to be clear, I am only willing to allow this ONCE for testing. I recommend purchasing a single pack.

DK
gmc
Super Contributor

Post by gmc »

kane wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:24 am
rocket wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:18 am The battery rule is a single 4s with maximum weight. Or can you run 2 x 4s with a combined weight to match. The reason I ask is I have a bunch of 1500mah 4s packs that I could use a splitter. I have the speed control and a don moody quicksilver Q500. I would only need it the motor.
Ray, definitely worth a shot. The rules say you need one 4 cell pack contained within heat shrink. So two packs is 8 cells. Violates this rule. HOWEVER, I think it is worth a test. IF I was the CD and you showed up with this, I would allow it for 1 contest, just to gain additional data. Two 1500 4S packs in parallel puts you at 3000Mah, and 14.8V. I think you could definitely use this set up for testing, but have one race pack for race day. It would be interesting to see what the voltage of each pack looks like. Make sure you do not exceed the 16.9V rule.

AND to be clear, I am only willing to allow this ONCE for testing. I recommend purchasing a single pack.

DK
Rocket,

Assuming you are talking Tavares race - and since I AM the CD for it... and trying to encourage as much participation in 424E, I would agree with Dan's statement/opinion to allow it for 1 contest... Beyond that would need a rules change to continue to allow - or a single pack purchased - but welcome to use it at Tavares.

Two packs in parallel can't exceed the voltage of the highest pack (and they would rapidly equalize) so I don't see exceeding the 16.9 which would already have at least one pair of cells over 4.2V.
I would think would be a slight disadvantage of 2 in parallel - extra wire/connectors/cell exteriors eating up some weight vs usable battery...
I don't see a competitive advantage of 2 in parallel based on today's available C ratings in single packs - but using what you have is certainly more economical.

Greg
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

gmc wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:29 pm
kane wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:24 am

DK
Rocket,

Assuming you are talking Tavares race - and since I AM the CD for it... and trying to encourage as much participation in 424E, I would agree with Dan's statement/opinion to allow it for 1 contest... Beyond that would need a rules change to continue to allow - or a single pack purchased - but welcome to use it at Tavares.

Two packs in parallel can't exceed the voltage of the highest pack (and they would rapidly equalize) so I don't see exceeding the 16.9 which would already have at least one pair of cells over 4.2V.
I would think would be a slight disadvantage of 2 in parallel - extra wire/connectors/cell exteriors eating up some weight vs usable battery...
I don't see a competitive advantage of 2 in parallel based on today's available C ratings in single packs - but using what you have is certainly more economical.

Greg
Where do I get the motor?
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

My ESC is Turnigy 40amp. I’m guessing it’s not big enough.
Sparky
Super Contributor

Post by Sparky »

Rocket,
We started with the Hobby King motors didn't last, the magnets came loose. The Rim fire was replaced with this motor and I'll power my 424E with this motor and then a Castle ESC. All of my EF-1's had the RimFire and Castle 75 lite.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/av ... M4630.html

Sparky
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

Sparky wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:54 pm Rocket,
We started with the Hobby King motors didn't last, the magnets came loose. The Rim fire was replaced with this motor and I'll power my 424E with this motor and then a Castle ESC. All of my EF-1's had the RimFire and Castle 75 lite.

Sparky
That’s the motor Dan recommended. I’ll go with that.
gmc
Super Contributor

Post by gmc »

rocket wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:00 pm
Sparky wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:54 pm Rocket,

Sparky
That’s the motor Dan recommended. I’ll go with that.
Same motor I got as well... Castle Talon 90 which is probably a bit of overkill amp wise - especially since Castle has always seemed to have conservative ratings - but I did like the 20A BEC in the Talon vs 5A in the Edge Lite.
DHG
Super Contributor

Post by DHG »

Gentlemen,

Not to mix apples and oranges, but is there any data on how comparable these airplanes would be with regulation EF1s on the same course? I'm mulling the idea of running one or more casual EF1 "race 'n' clinics" at our local field next season, but I'm not sure we have enough regulation EF1s to fill the matrix. If we gave pilots the option of using a simple box airframe, it might add a couple of entries.

If that's data yet to be developed, I'm happy to help develop it. Just don't want to reinvent the wheel, y'know. Thanks!

Cheers,
DHG
Tied for 1st going into Round 1
Greg Doe
Super Contributor

Post by Greg Doe »

Dwayne, From my limited experience the speed of a 424 Quickie, and an Ef1 are extremely close. Others may have a different view?
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

In CAPS, we used to run EF-1 on the 424 course because we ran 3 events on one day, and didn't want to tear down the course. Best times with EF-1, were in the 1:20-1:24 range. 424 (IC only) everything equal was about 2 seconds faster. This comparison is for the same pilot flying both events.

DK
Sparky
Super Contributor

Post by Sparky »

The EF-1's normally race on a shorter course. When we ran the EF-1's on the AMA short course (424) at several Muncie events they had higher times than the IC 424's. Not much, sorry I don't recall. I know the EF-1s on the EF-1 course will have lower times than a 424 on the prescribe AMA Short course.
Some one can dig up the times.
Sparky
DHG
Super Contributor

Post by DHG »

Thanks, guys, that confirms my suspicions. I think for entry-level sport racing with the top prize about equal to a Zagnut bar, that's close enough. Especially if we run the EF1 course, where straightaway speed matters much less than good turns and timing.

Another benefit of the Q500 airframe (at least the shoulder-wing kind) might be the ability to hand-launch if the field is rough or if the racecourse has to be placed out away from the pit area. The old-timers out there (hello? :wink:) may remember "Club 20" from England, where most of the fields are covered with thick grass and most of the airplanes were hand-launched, .21-sized midwing types. In Club 20, the biggest hassle was picking up the airplane off the starting stand with that glow engine screaming at 22K. Electric powerplants eliminate this problem.

Cheers,
Duane
Tied for 1st going into Round 1
Greg Doe
Super Contributor

Post by Greg Doe »

Dwayne, There's your answer; just hold the Quickies back for 2 seconds. Problem solved.