Drone @50ft on pylon 1

Real time video feed and records. 👍
GaryS
Super Contributor

Re: Longer course at the classic.

Post by GaryS »

MikeyD wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:00 pm Drone @50ft on pylon 1

Real time video feed and records. 👍
I’ve been yelled at for breaking plastic pylons. I’d consider a drone an additional challenge!!
GS
MikeyD
Super Contributor

Post by MikeyD »

Probably should have clarified. Drone hovering @50ft straight up from Pylon 1 judging table.
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

MikeyD wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:24 am Probably should have clarified. Drone hovering @50ft straight up from Pylon 1 judging table.
That’s right in Schmidt’s wheelhouse. He’ll get yelled at for sure.
And I said, here am I send me.
iamtom
Super Contributor

Post by iamtom »

Disregard.
Last edited by iamtom on Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
123READY TURN
GaryS
Super Contributor

Post by GaryS »

rocket wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:50 am
MikeyD wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:24 am Probably should have clarified. Drone hovering @50ft straight up from Pylon 1 judging table.
That’s right in Schmidt’s wheelhouse. He’ll get yelled at for sure.
50’ is pretty high, but I can make it work!
GS
Bob_T
Super Contributor

Post by Bob_T »

Attachments
IMG_5496.jpg
Greg Doe
Super Contributor

Post by Greg Doe »

THANK YOU!
dwc1
Super Contributor

Post by dwc1 »

I've read through most all of this, and would like to put my thought down as well. I agree with Ray. I found it difficult to call normally at PHX. I was forever looking for lights that sometimes came on when my pilot was already back to 2. I never got in a comfortable routine. As a caller, you don't have time to stand around waiting for a light to come on. There's too much other stuff going on.

I have always been in the camp of if you cut, you should get the cut. That is what's fair to everyone involved. Your team made the mistake of turning too soon, whether it be the caller's fault, or the pilots, your team caused the problem. Everyone on here freely admits they do not use the lights to tell them when to turn, so saying you got a light is not an excuse for having cut and being awarded a cut. If you are allowed to cut because you get a light, you get an unfair advantage over other teams by being allowed to fly a shorter course.

After reading through all of the comments, there are other issues that have been defined as well, that I agree with regarding one pickle pusher being better than another. How do you standardize these issues so each lane is as fair as the next? I think Lee's on to something, but logistics are tough there.

I'm starting to think eliminating the turn lights may be the best option. This would allow you to run with 1 or 2 judges at pylon 1 just as we do for 2 and 3. The judges are there only to call cuts as they see them, and report them. Then, all 4 lanes get the same judges across the board, with the exception of the stop watch/lap counters. Makes it easier to host a race as well.

I have 2 clubs that want to host races in Texas this year. I am currently trying to work out the best dates for them. I'd be willing to be a guinea pig for running at least one of the races without pylon 1 lights to see how it works, but I don't want to negatively effect turnout. Would you be willing to come to a race without lights at 1?
Von Der Hey
Super Contributor

Post by Von Der Hey »

I would definitely attend a contest that did not have turn lights. However I am biased because I have had the experience of running contests without lights. Contests with the no lights format ran much quicker with little or no conflict.
Von Der Hey.
craigfarthing
Super Contributor

Post by craigfarthing »

Lights or no lights, If there is a race in Texas, I plan on going.

Cf
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

I’ll be there too.. let’s rock some “no lights” pylon.
And I said, here am I send me.
RBG
Super Contributor

Post by RBG »

Let's do no lights and have some fun.
All for a drone over the pylons to keep all honest. Having no lights is just like practice at your field. Just my thoughts.

Bob Greer
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

dwc1 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:33 pm I've read through most all of this, and would like to put my thought down as well. I agree with Ray. I found it difficult to call normally at PHX. I was forever looking for lights that sometimes came on when my pilot was already back to 2. I never got in a comfortable routine. As a caller, you don't have time to stand around waiting for a light to come on. There's too much other stuff going on.

I have always been in the camp of if you cut, you should get the cut. That is what's fair to everyone involved. Your team made the mistake of turning too soon, whether it be the caller's fault, or the pilots, your team caused the problem. Everyone on here freely admits they do not use the lights to tell them when to turn, so saying you got a light is not an excuse for having cut and being awarded a cut. If you are allowed to cut because you get a light, you get an unfair advantage over other teams by being allowed to fly a shorter course.
Dennis, kind of talking out of both sides of your mouth here. You never got comfortable calling in PHX? Looking for lights? Why are you looking for lights if you don't use them (they don't mean anything) and what made you uncomfortable?

If you cut, you cut, you had no business looking for lights.

I don't want to argue any of this and I agree that what we have is not good.

This is all being addressed for one lane. The problem with all of this is if lane 1 is calling cuts and lane 2 is being a little loosey goosey, lights no lights doesn't matter. The problem is having it fair for all lanes.

No lights, is great for all of us that think we know what we are doing. Not sure how this helps the new guy or new caller. This is truly a tough situation. They also run no lights in Minnesota, and have forever.

DK