Message from Mike Langlois Family

Pylon Racing General Interest --
mike_langlois
Super Contributor

Message from Mike Langlois Family

Post by mike_langlois »

We unfortunately have sad news to share with the pylon racing community.

After seven years of battling melanoma, Mike Langlois passed away on June 12, peacefully in hospice care. Mike loved aviation in all forms. His father cultivated his passion from a young age with trips to local airports to watch the planes and Saturday mornings spent with other modelers at the local hobby shop. The passion for aviation and modeling grew as Mike entered his teenage years and became more involved in competitions. During his teenage years he became focused on Control Line and obsessed with going the fastest. During this time, he made many lifelong friends and had some great mentors to help guide him in his efforts.

After becoming the first person to pilot a control line aircraft over 200 mph he had accomplished his main goal. Mike set aside his models to focus on new goals and earn a Mechanical Engineering degree from NC State. I am sure there was a lot of days dreaming about planes, engines, and air foils during his classes in Raleigh. Thankfully during his time in college Mike was introduced to Mabel, and they were married by senior year. The next step for my father after getting established in a career and beginning a family, was to gravitate back to modeling. The new goal was to compete in RC pylon racing while raising his two sons. At that time, he really focused on building to the best quality planes he could, along with going fast and winning races. My early childhood is filled with memories in his hobby workshop in our home and time at airports where races where held. He spent countless hours building formula one planes with the hopes to win best in show. Thankfully in 1988 his efforts paid off and he won best in show at the 1988 Nationals Race. After a decade of competitive RC pylon racing, Mike took a break from modeling in 1993.

He was starting to fulfill his next goal and opened his machine shop supporting the aviation industry. With help from his friend Henry Nelson, he taught himself to program and run CNC machines. With the help of his family, employees, and customers, Aero Precision grew rapidly. Once the shop became established Mike set new goals and earned his private pilot’s license around 1996. Achieving the goal of being able to fly and own a plane was a major source of happiness for him for rest of his life. His interest in RC Pylon racing was reignited by the mid 2000’s. This time, he was going “all in”, using the skills and resources he had acquired by that time to support RC Pylon Racing. He was able to convert an old farm into the OLD JULIAN AIRPORT used for hosting races, supported and eventually took over production of the N-40 engine, and went racing at as many locations as possible. Mike rekindled old friendships and made many new friends in the later part of his life in the RC pylon community. During this time, he really enjoyed racing and the fellowship with others that loved aviation.

Throughout his entire life Mike loved aviation and it was the common thread that impacted every aspect of his life. He was a hard worker that enjoyed solving problems. Mike was a loving husband, father, and grandfather. We are all so thankful for the time he shared with family and his time with his grandchildren. Mike was fortunate to have four grandchildren that he loved more deeply than I can describe with words.

Mike made a positive impact on many people and will be greatly missed. He would want all of you to keep modeling, flying, racing, and supporting the next generation of aviation enthusiast. Mikes wishes were to not have a funeral or memorial. We will honor his wishes in this matter. Also, we hope to see you all at OJA for the NMPRA champ race this October.

We will continue to support this community and the N-40 product.
Please share pictures you have of Mike from the races in this thread.

Sincerely,
The Langlois Family

Mike Langlois 6-5-1957 / 6-12-2022
vonderhey
Super Contributor

Re: Message from Mike Langlois Family

Post by vonderhey »

I don’t have the words to describe the loss of Mike. Rest In Peace my friend.
Attachments
Mike’s last race. 2021 Tangerine
Mike’s last race. 2021 Tangerine
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

Thank you to the Langlois family for Mike's story and the opportunity to share in our grief as well as the celebration of his life and the memories of our moments with him.

I didn't know Mike nearly as well or as long as many within the pylon community, but with our proximity to Liberty, NC I have been afforded the luxury of flying at OJA on several occasions over the past four years. Mike wasn't always able to join us, but the simple presence of him on those occasions added to the fun and enjoyment of these moments. Seems many people raise their voice to make their point, but Mike's soft tone, gentle demeanor and street credibility among the pylon community (and I'm sure in his professional field as well) were more effective tools for communicating. I mean, when this guy speaks, listen! One time I telephoned Mike for some advice on the pylon column. He told me he could give me five minutes, but the conversation stretched into about 45 minutes! With some people, it can become harder to listen as conversations linger, but when Mike speaks, time stops and I can listen forever because of his wealth of real-world, hands-on, practical knowledge. It has also been a pleasure and a comfort to observe Mike's relationship with Trey Witte and Dean Stone as the two of them have worked hand-in-hand with Mike to keep the OJA facility available, beautiful and operational. This is already known, but we have been extremely fortunate to have this facility and the people that manage it in our list of places to fly and compete.

I regret not consulting Mike in time for another technical topic in the column. We had talked about a few different subjects that would have made interesting and educational reading.

I suppose I could ramble on too, but I'm very sorry for the untimely passing of Mike and my sincerest condolences to the Langlois family as well as my thanks for everything Mike and the entire family has done for the pylon racing community. There has been a lot of success and a lot of joy out there because of Mike.

For pictures, all I have is images captured down at OJA.

Tim Lampe
Attachments
20220305_104508.jpg
20220430_085321.jpg
20220430_095808.jpg
20220430_113254.jpg
20220501_090000.jpg
Last edited by KRProton on Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

please delete
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

Mike's 1988 Best of Show F1. This picture is taken from the AMA calendar from the 1988 NATS.
Attachments
IMG_1885.jpg
RobertV
Super Contributor

Post by RobertV »

In recent weeks, Mike told me "I have so much to be thankful for", when confronted with his quickly declining health. Everything he did was centered around family and aviation (model or full-scale) and the two were very intertwined. From raising and sharing life with a great (and growing) family, building a successful family-run business, creating a family owned/maintained premier flying site, and promoting the best pylon races with all-in family support, Mike was in his element when family was involved. He was grateful for all of it. And as all who know him can attest, Mike's southern charm and caring demeanor made each and every one of us feel like family, too. He had a positive effect on so many and, yet, was content to operate in the background without any desire for praise or recognition. His was a life well lived.

I am very honored to have spent the last couple of decades with Mike as my mentor, team mate, fellow competitor, and most importantly, dear friend. Like everyone, I will have to adjust to life, flying, and racing without him. But as he has and would say " I want you to keep doing what we have been doing and enjoy it along the way". Words to live by..........blue skies, my friend. We will carry on your legacy.
Mike 19.jpg
Mike 18.jpg
Mike17.jpg
Nelsons.jpg
Mike 16.jpg
MIke15.jpg
Robert Vess
Raleigh, NC
RobertV
Super Contributor

Post by RobertV »

Mike13.jpg
Mike10.jpg
Mike8.jpg
Mike5.jpg
Mike2.jpg
Robert Vess
Raleigh, NC
RobertV
Super Contributor

Post by RobertV »

Mike12.jpg
Mike11.jpg
Mike7.jpg
Mike6.jpg
MIke4.jpg
Mike1.jpg
Robert Vess
Raleigh, NC
DHG
Super Contributor

Post by DHG »

I don't have photos to share but I want to affirm all that's been said above about Mike's gentle character and his many contributions to the sport we all love. Thanks so much for providing such a rich history of his early days in CL and his wide-ranging interests in full-scale aviation. I know this is a difficult time for you all but I trust it's a little better knowing Mike left this earth in peace and could reflect on a life well lived. Deepest condolences, and again, thanks for sharing Mike with us.

Sincerely,
Duane Gall
Tied for 1st going into Round 1
T.Doe
Super Contributor

Post by T.Doe »

This is a pick from the mid America Nats, Stephen,Joseph,Mabel and Kelly Landers are all seated and myself standing under the tent with Mike Formula 1. Mike finished 7 with dad calling for him, year unknown
Attachments
Screenshot_20210424-221300.png
AlexVazquez
Super Contributor

Post by AlexVazquez »

So sad for the notice.
I had the opportunity to talk some times with Mike during the racings, what a wonderful man!
Rest in peace.
Please receive my condolences to Mabel and all the Langlois family.

Sincerely,
Alex
Pylon Racing Mexico
NMPRA 30y
D9 VP
RobertV
Super Contributor

Post by RobertV »

I wanted to add this really great memory pic (from Jay Marsh) of when a teen-aged Mike Langlois was the first to do 200mph in control line "C" speed. It was powered by a special OPS 0.65 that Mike modified. His dedication to speed went back MANY decades!
Attachments
Mike Langlois 200mph!.png
Robert Vess
Raleigh, NC