NATIONALS 2022..

Pylon Racing General Interest --
GaryS
Super Contributor

Re: NATIONALS 2022..

Post by GaryS »

While I can't make the Nats, I'll chime in and say I'm in favor of one matrix. We always see big names miss the finals due to bad luck, etc, as well as people make it due to good luck, whether it be a lucky matrix, bad luck for others in their heats, name pulled from a hat, etc. So to say "the best of the best" fill up the finals is disingenuous.

When I won 422 in 2017, I actually had a harder time in qualifying than I did the finals. If it were a one matrix contest, I would not have won.

I personally don't see the merit of a "National Champion" being crowned based largely on a five round contest where they only race against 15 contestants or less (3 others times 5 rounds.....minus attrition towards the end). I would rather win an 8-10 round contest where every flight counts.

And lets all be honest with ourselves. You can take the top ten from any of the big three contests, Nats, Phoenix, & Champ Race, and many of the names will be the same, even with the Nats having a different format over the last 20+ years.
GS
GaryS
Super Contributor

Post by GaryS »

Delete
GS
G.Freeman Jr.
Super Contributor

Post by G.Freeman Jr. »

I see the good and bad in both.

The one thing I think would make the one matrix even better at the nationals (or even all contest) is to add one throw away. There are so many times a top contender was knocked out due to something out of their control (bad plug, ground collision, mid-air with someone who cut-out, etc). This would also keep a lot more guys going until the end.

Just a thought and obviously not for this time around, but something to think about. We are about the only country that doesn't do this.
Last edited by G.Freeman Jr. on Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vonderhey
Super Contributor

Post by vonderhey »

You can change the format, the rules, the venue, the qualifications or anything else that you think will make a difference, but the cream always rises to the top.
Just go to the NATS, respect the CD and have fun.
Von Der Hey
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Post by airplanescotty »

The common thread of Pylon is the complexity of the equation, or to put it another way,,, the active managing of the endless variables!

To get to the podium,,,, the challenge is to manage the variables and the complexity successfully from beginning to end!

I truly believe that “Pylon’s” requirement of intense high level management/challenge, throughout all aspects of the Game,,, over an extended period,, is a major contributor to our “Addiction”! :o :roll: :P :D

Scotty
QTR ~ Waste Not A Moment!!!!!
Joe Tropea
Super Contributor

Post by Joe Tropea »

Haven't been on the forum in a while. Lucky I logged in.

PSA: Vagasil is in short supply this year given the current market conditions. Get yours now!
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

I think one matrix with 10 or 12 rounds is a damn fine idea. I also think a flyoff to determine the national champ is a good idea.
Maybe take the top 8, two heats with 1st and 2nd place advancing to the final 4. This heat will determine the national champion. No lollygagging, just 8 pilots bidding for the #1 spot. It will ne fun to watch.
And I said, here am I send me.
Kurt Bozarth
Super Contributor

Post by Kurt Bozarth »

Ray’s post reminds me of what happened at Lonnie’s race in Wichita last year: Seven racers tied for first. Three raced in one flyoff, and four in the other. The top two in each heat flew in the final. I would say the winner was definitely the winner. It made for a neat ending.

Kurt
7th place…
Kurt Bozarth
kbozarth01@gmail.com
Sandbag Special
Super Contributor

Post by Sandbag Special »

The calcutta style mini-final is an interesting idea and I really like it. Plus only the risk of starting line carnage from race-horse starts for 3 heats. Would be one hell of a spectacle and start to finish not take more than an hour to accomplish.
Matthew Fehling
Team JR/DFA
59S