2022 Mike Tallman Legacy Race

Pylon Racing General Interest --
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

2022 Mike Tallman Legacy Race

Post by rs-ssfan »

Heartland Speed Freakz is happy to announce the 2022 Mike Tallman Legacy Q40 Pylon Race. You probably know this by now, but HSF puts on an annual race to honor our great friend and competitor, Mike Tallman, for all he did in pylon racing. The race will be held on September 24yh & 25th, with the course set up on the 23rd for practice.

As it has been in the past, the race will be a 2 day Q40 race held at Lake Afton in Goddard (just west of Wichita) Kansas. For those of you that have come out in the past, you've experienced the highly competitive, yet laid back race atmosphere that we strive for. For those of you that haven't come out, I dare you to come experience it first hand. As I said it will be at Lake Afton RC Field, which Mike had a hand in building, it has both an asphalt and grass runway (side by side). It also has a dedicated concrete launch pad that allows us plenty of room to stretch out for race horse starts. I've yet to find a bad seat in the pits to see the close competition that this race is becoming known for. We will have our seasoned, I believe we are going on 11 years with them, workers as well as the always great lunch cooked by Vernelle Tallman.

As in years past, we'll be honoring Mike by giving away a prize with a drawing. This years prize will be an all white Miss Foxy Lady. As usual each paid entry gets a ticket put into the bucket, and yes you have to be present to win.

*RULES DEVIATION* - In the event that you receive a light and a cut on the same lap at Pylon 1, the cut will stand and a refly will not be issued.

I know we are a ways out but if you plan on attending, post here or shoot me an email @ lfinchcpa-sbcglobal.net (you know what to do to make it work) and let me know your AMA# as well as teammates.

I look forward to seeing you all at the race.

Flyer to follow shortly.

Lonnie
craigfarthing
Super Contributor

Re: 2022 Mike Tallman Legacy Race

Post by craigfarthing »

Scherrer 303656
Farthing 498319
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Craig I have you and Doug on the list.
craigfarthing
Super Contributor

Post by craigfarthing »

Sorry Lonnie. I didn’t see a list so I wasn’t sure you knew Doug and I were teamed up. Always a pleasure
Bosman
Super Contributor

Post by Bosman »

Brian Osman and Jordon Peace will be there. Thanks
s10promod
Super Contributor

Post by s10promod »

Eddie Jump 426, 422
Marty Bonse 426, 422
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Eddie you can bring out your 426 but you're gonna be kind of slow compared to everyone else. :lol:
s10promod
Super Contributor

Post by s10promod »

I forgot which race it was lol.
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Here is the flyer for the race. Thanks to Duane Gall for the artwork and perpetration of the flyer.
Attachments
Tallman 2022 flyer.pdf
(420.77 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Just a couple more weeks before the premier racing event happens in Goddard, KS. Let me know if I need to add you to the list of racers. :D

Here is the pilots list as I know it to be:
1 AJ Seaholm
2 Dub Jett
3 Lonnie Finch
4 Richard Oliver
5 Jason Oliver
6 Rich Beers
7 Dan Coe
8 Duane Hulen
9 Kurt Bozarth
10 Brian Richmond
11 Duane Gall
12 Scott Hartman
13 Gary James
14 Marty Bonse
15 Roger Burright
16 Eddie Jump
17 Craig Farthing
18 Doug Scherrer
19 Brian Osman
20 Jordan Peace
21 Pat Galarneault
22 Pat Redig
23 Phil Zuidema
24 Chuck Andraka
25 Dennis Cranfil
Last edited by rs-ssfan on Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Ok boys and girls, we're a couple weeks out so it's time for the "how it's gonna work" post.

1. We will have a trailer to be used to haul us back and forth from the pitts. The major rule with this is we CANNOT sit on the fenders, if we do we will not have it for future races and I just might have to give you a cut for that race. :D

2. ADDENDUM/RULES DEVIATION In the event a light and a cut are given on the same lap at pylon 1 the cut will stand and a refly will not be granted.

3. Field will be open and course set up by 9am on Friday for practice. We will be pitting on the East side of the field (opposite as the shelter/shed) for practice and racing days. NO flying or running engines before 8 am any day.

4. Registration will end on Friday night. If you aren't able to make it out to the field on Friday to get signed up, make sure I know so I can get you into the Matrix. If I don't know about you and you don't show up until Sat morning you won't be in the matrix.

5. Race Days - test flying will be from 8-9:00, Pilots meeting around 9:15 and first heat around 9:30. We may adjust Sunday's schedule depending on how far we get on Saturday.

6. Vernelle will be preparing our lunch as usual. We can't "sell" food out there so we ask for donations (it's worth every bit of $5). We will take a lunch break as close to noon as we can be and we will shot for a 30-45 min break.

7. We will be doing 3 plane heats with race horse start as of now. If the entries jump up a significant amount, I reserve the right to change my mind on this.

We want to get you as much flying as possible, we will do at least 8 rounds but shooting for 10, so we appreciate everyone's cooperation in keeping things going.

Let me know if you have any questions and I look forward to seeing you all in a couple weeks.
Lonnie
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

Race horse starts after seeing/doing them last weekend? I think it was a good idea. Maybe Trey will consider this for the champ race.
And I said, here am I send me.
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Rocket with 3 plane heats it's fairly easy to do because we can spread out enough to generally not have too much take off carnage. 4 plane heats make it a little harder but still doable. Especially if people remember that the rudder is used to take off straight. :lol:

Come on out to Goddard, KS and you can experience racehorse starts again. :D
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Just to give you guys a little bit of a heads up the weather guessers are saying the wind is going to be coming from the SSE Friday morning to midafternoon. It then starts to turn to the North and will be either from the NE or N on Saturday and Sunday. I am going to set up the "North" course on Thursday night since that's what we'll be using for the race days. For Friday's practice you can take off down wind (I would advise this) or you can take off to the South through P2 & P3 and then turn and get on the course.

Thanks and see you there.
Lonnie
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Well ladies & gents another Mike Tallman Legacy Race is in the books.

As always we want to thank the workers who sacrifice their weekends to let us play with toy airplanes. And to Vernelle Tallman for mowing the field, cooking us some wonderful brats and burgers and keeping us all happy with her amazing cookies and brownies.

Secondly I want to thank all the pilots who travel, pretty much from all over the us, to come out and support this race. Vernelle Tallman loves seeing the support as do I. I was happy to hear several compliments about the race this weekend.

Third is a big thank you to Tim Lampe. He once again did an amazing job on the trophies. He might not like it but he'll be handling the trophies for all of my future races. :D

With a list of 25 pilots the matrix was set and racing started around 9:30 Saturday morning. We had some unseasonably warm weather, around 95, along with basically no wind (making it feel even hotter) on Saturday. Even without the help of a trailer getting us to and from the line we were able to complete 3 rounds (27 heats) by noon and took a break for lunch. After lunch we peeled off another 3 rounds and ended the day around 4pm. After the 6 rounds were finished AJ Seaholm sit on top without dropping a point and posting a 1:00.96. Dennis Cranfil was in second place just 1 point down. Jason Oliver, Rich Beers and Scott Harman rounded out the top 5 places 2 points down. Sunday morning the pilots showed up ready to crank out some more heats. After a slight delay, thanks to the starters new alarm clock, we got the racing going around 10-ish. Weather was back to the normal low 80s with a wind between 10-15 mph from the North. With a couple equipment issues, we were able to complete two rounds before breaking for lunch. After lunch we finished up another 2 rounds, a total of 10 rounds for the weekend, and were done around 2:30. AJ stood strong completing the contest with a clean sweep of 30 points taking home 1st place. He duplicated his Saturday fast time of 1:00.96 and held on to it earning him a second trophy. Dennis Cranfil was able to stay clean the rest of the contest and took 2nd place just one point down. Rich Beers ended up dropping another point on Sunday but was able to hold onto a 3rd place finish just 3 points down.

As always in the true spirit of Mike we give away a prize at every contest. This year the club was lucky enough to pick up a new Miss Foxy Lady and Brian Osman was the lucky winner. He's a new pilot, only flying Q40 for 3 years, and is up and coming quickly.

Once again thanks to all the pilots that came out, and for the ones that didn't you missed out on some good tight racing and some really good meals. Hope to see you at the next one. Here are some pictures and the results. Scott I borrowed them from your Facebook post, hope you don't mind. :D

Dennis had to get on the road to make it to work Monday so we didn't get a picture of his trophy presentation.
scan0068.pdf
(575.92 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Attachments
AJ taking 1st & Fast Time.
AJ taking 1st & Fast Time.
Rich taking 3rd.
Rich taking 3rd.
Last edited by rs-ssfan on Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.