TEXAS Racing September

Pylon Racing General Interest --
dwc1
Super Contributor

Re: TEXAS Racing September

Post by dwc1 »

Last update...

Looks like we'll have 24+ entries spread out across the events. Should be good fun racing.

Field is in good shape. I've got one small project that we have to take care of Friday morning, but the club will be helping me out with that. We had several dry months with a couple weeks of rain now, and that has awakened the mosquitos. Plan to bring repellant. I should have plenty available. They're only a problem early morning or late evening.

There is no power at the field, so plan accordingly for charging batteries.

I would like to draw the matrix each night before the race, so please be sure to let me know by Friday night if you're racing 426 or 424 and by Saturday night if you're racing 422 or EF-1.

See y'all this weekend.

DC
dwc1
Super Contributor

Post by dwc1 »

This year's Salt Grass/Mosquito Classic is in the books. Thanks to everyone who came out to race. Overall we had a great time, and there were plenty of barn burning heats. I'm sorry for the delay on Saturday morning with getting the equipment to communicate, but I have some ideas to correct that in the future. I'm thinking there may be some interference at that field with the Chem plants and radio towers so close by.

A huge thank you to Lonnie Finch for basically keeping the contest running by troubleshooting any course communication issues and helping with training the score keepers.

Due to the delay Saturday, we were only able to get in 4 rounds of both 424 and 426. The highlight of the day was 2 13 year old junior entries in 424, and my brother entering both 424 and 426 for his first ever pylon race. One of the juniors crashed in the second round, but the other one made it through the entire contest. There were some really tight heats in both classes on Saturday, and after 4 rounds the finishes were as follows:

1st Place Dub Jett 1:21.66
2nd Place Ola Nordell 1:40.66
3rd Place Dan Coe 1:25.67
Fast Time Dub Jett 1:21.66

1st Place Dan Coe 1:06.31
2nd Place Dub Jett 1:06.83
3rd Place Eddie Jump 1:06.51
Fast Time Dennis Cranfill 1:05.12

Sunday we were able to get started a little earlier. Unfortunately, a couple of the EF-1 entries landed in the tall grass after test flying, which resulted in broken landing gear, and they pulled out of the contest. This left only 2 EF-1 entries, so it was decided not to run EF-1. We were able to get in 5 rounds of 422 with 2 fly-offs by 3:30 pm. The night before, I dusted off my old Wild Turkey, and Dub provided a motor to allow my brother to enter his first Q-40 event. After plenty of hot racing, it all came down to a 2 way tie for 1st between Dub Jett and Jacob Raquet, who was returning for his first race in quite some time. There was a 4 way tie for 3rd. I opted not to fly in the 4 way tie, so that left us with 2 fly-offs to decide who took home the wood. The results follow:

1st Place Dub Jett 1:03.05
2nd Place Jacob Raquet 1:05.72
3rd Place Ray Brown 1:04.57
Fast Time Dennis Cranfill 1:01.21

Thanks again to everyone who attended. Thank you to Randy and Ritch's Brew for providing the fuel, and thanks to BCMA for hosting the race and putting in the effort to run a good contest. If the club is willing, we'll shoot for a May race next year. That should be a slight bit cooler, and far less mosquitos. I'll defer to Ola and Scott to hopefully post some photos. I didn't get a chance to take a single picture.
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Thank you to Dennis and club for putting on the race. It was a good field to fly at and was a lot of fun racing there. But yeah I could do with a few, ok a lot, less mosquitos. I finally figured out bathing in Deepwoods Off kept the blood sucking to a minimum. :lol:

Schedule willing I'll be back in May to try and take that fast time away from you.

Lonnie
dwc1
Super Contributor

Post by dwc1 »

I almost forgot, I also owe Dub Jett a big thank you. As he regularly does, at the beginning of the contest, Dub offered up a 426 engine for the top points earner for the weekend.

After all was said and done, Dan Coe won the 426 engine as the Top Gun prize. Congrats Dan, and thanks Dub.