6.6V 2S receiver LiFe battery packs

Pylon Racing General Interest --
KRProton
Super Contributor

Re: 6.6V 2S receiver LiFe battery packs

Post by KRProton »

DT wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:57 am Guys, I’m flying the Zippy 700’s what should I set my low voltage warning alarm at?
Hi Dan. I don't know this information off the top of my head, but over the years I've kept notes on things I've learned about batteries. From these notes, here's what I published in the September 2021 RC Pylon Racing column of Model Aviation...

A 2S LiFe operates at about 6.0 – 6.6V, so make sure your servos/receiver are rated for that voltage (receiver/servos that are okay with 5-Cell NiCd should also be fine with 2S LiFe). Here are some figures I scrounged up about LiFe batteries:

Minimum discharge voltage: 2.8 – 2.5V/cell
Maximum discharge rate: 1C
Nominal operating voltage: 3.0 – 3.3V/cell
Maximum voltage: 3.6V/cell
Recommended charge rate: 1C

A fully-charged 2S LiFe will come off the charger at about 7.2V, but even without a load will just about immediately drop down to 6.6V, then remain. It is said that LiFe batteries don’t require balancing as much as LiPo – especially if not over discharged. Unlike a LiPo (where voltage may be correlated to capacity), a LiFe has a flat discharge curve with a sudden drop at the end, so it is not advisable to use the voltage of a LiFe as a cue when to stop flying. Instead, use capacity used/remaining to indicate when to charge. A typical LiFe discharge curve for typical discharge rates shows a rapid drop off at about 83% capacity used. But you want to avoid this point because the drop off is so fast. A safer figure would be about 65% or even 50% to play it really safe. If we estimate that one flight of a Q40 airplane consumes about 30mAh, and we are using the typical Zippy 650mAh LiFe, we can get over ten flights before approaching 50% capacity used. (50% of 650mAh = 325mAh / 30mAh per flight = 10.8 flights)

That's the end of the article. But if you want a little further reading there are always enlightening conversations on RC Groups, like this one...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... arge-Curve

Tim Lampe
Kurt Bozarth
Super Contributor

Post by Kurt Bozarth »

rocket wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:02 pm Lipo fully charged is 8.4 volts. Non HV servos dont like this. A little battery management like charging a lipo to the max voltage of a fully charged life pack and your servos will be fine..
Rocket - are you saying we don’t need a regulator when using non-HV servos if we simply charge the 2s lipos to around 7.4v? Are Futaba 617 receivers fine with these voltages? Thanks Rocket.

Kurt
Kurt Bozarth
kbozarth01@gmail.com
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

Kurt Bozarth wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:26 am
rocket wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:02 pm Lipo fully charged is 8.4 volts. Non HV servos dont like this. A little battery management like charging a lipo to the max voltage of a fully charged life pack and your servos will be fine..
Rocket - are you saying we don’t need a regulator when using non-HV servos if we simply charge the 2s lipos to around 7.4v? Are Futaba 617 receivers fine with these voltages? Thanks Rocket.

Kurt
A 2S LiPo charged to 7.4V = 3.7V per cell. It is almost unanimously agreed that maximum discharge voltage of a LiPo is 3.72 Volts per cell which is about 20% capacity. If you math it out, a 700mAh LiPo at 20% capacity is 140 mAh. :o

Maybe I'm missing something and I probably am, but that doesn't seem like a good idea. Perhaps the theory is that, at the low loads/current imposed on the battery by servos (as opposed to an electric motor), it can be discharged deeper, but still. ???

Tim
Attachments
Lipoly Voltage vs. State of Charge.jpg
Fly Fast n Left
Super Contributor

Post by Fly Fast n Left »

Here is another option to try:

https://innov8tivedesigns.com/badass-25 ... ttery.html

It appears there are a few retailers that offer the same pack if one store if out of stock.
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

Fly Fast n Left wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:10 pm Here is another option to try:

https://innov8tivedesigns.com/badass-25 ... ttery.html

It appears there are a few retailers that offer the same pack if one store if out of stock.
21 amp discharge 🤣
Attachments
20230621_192757.jpg
And I said, here am I send me.