Paul Benezra

Pylon Racing General Interest --
kane
Super Contributor

Paul Benezra

Post by kane »

I received news that Paul passed away this afternoon.

Paul, was an airline pilot and raced Formula 1 and QM15.

Sad day, as the pylon community has lost another racer. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Paul’s family.

DK
DHG
Super Contributor

Re: Paul Benezra

Post by DHG »

Deepest condolences to Paul's family. I remember Paul as a cheerful & madcap fellow, always tough on the racecourse but never too intense to enjoy a good prank. The first time I met him was in 1989 at the Tri-Cities (Washington) Nats. He had a very nicely finished F1 Stinger (I think it was from a Don Rice kit, but it might have been one of Bob Dible's), light blue with rainbow trim. The only problem was, it had no radio installed, so he was doing that in the hotel room. I later learned that this was standard operating procedure for him, since his duties with the airline kept him too busy to plan very far ahead. But he got it done and went out the next day to whup up on the rest of us. RIP Paul, you lived on the edge and brought everyone out there with you to enjoy the view! :D

Gall
23F
Tied for 1st going into Round 1
MLH
Super Contributor

Post by MLH »

Great Story Duane. I remember a race at Bakersfield with over 100 entries in Formula 1 where the airplanes would line up for scale judging. There was Paul at the end of the line installing the radio in his Formula 1. Always a positive guy. Rest in peace.
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

DHG/MH, Great stories, that was the first thing I thought of regarding Paul as well. I can remember one contest where he was installing hinges at the poolside after processing, NO radio, NO motor, NO hinges the day before the contest. Good memories.

DK
Greg Doe
Super Contributor

Post by Greg Doe »

At one of the Midwest Nats,( I can't remember which one?) Paul showed up early in the week for processing, or an event. He then flew home to finish gearing up his airplane, and returned to race. Then of course there is the story of him meeting his wife at a Nats, but I won't share that here.
fizzwater2
Super Contributor

Post by fizzwater2 »

Man, sorry to hear that. Paul was fun to race with, for sure.
Out of all the places we could be, this is one of them.
stoned
Super Contributor

Post by stoned »

You should have been there for his 50th birthday party! I really enjoyed spending time with Paul.
Dr.Doolittle
Super Contributor

Post by Dr.Doolittle »

Rest In Peace Paul. You were a true Pylon addict like so many of us are.
We will all miss you. Your memories will be with us forever!
You were a good man "Charlie Brown"!!!

Dr. Doolittle
JSC
Super Contributor

Post by JSC »

Yes, Paul was crazy but Lovable.
Chago_N20P
Super Contributor

Post by Chago_N20P »

I met Paul at the Atlanta races around 1993-1995. We became instant friends.
Always thought we was cool and collected, but that says the kind of wild animal I was.

At a Q500 race we were calling for each other and I messed up one of his heats for launching early. I felt horrible.
I had fast time going into the last round, but had lost my T-Tail early.
He asked what prop should he use next, and I said, you got a 9W? Let's go with that and turn when I say so.

So we went at it, got a good lead, I kept yelling KEEP TIGHT 2&3! I also yelled other things not allow type lol
Paul broke fast time. I was super happy.
Racer Rick asked at the line: fast time fast yours, you didn't have to push. Why did you do that?
Cause I love Paul and I owed him from my blunder
We party at Paul's house that night :) :D

Chago