2023 Mike Tallman Legacy Race

Pylon Racing General Interest --
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

2023 Mike Tallman Legacy Race

Post by rs-ssfan »

Heartland Speed Freakz is happy to announce the 2023 Mike Tallman Legacy Q40 Pylon Race. You probably know this by now, but HSF puts on an annual race to honor our great friend and competitor, Mike Tallman, for all he did in pylon racing. The race will be held on September 23rd & 24th, with the course set up on the 22nd for practice.

As it has been in the past, the race will be a 2 day Q40 race held at Lake Afton in Goddard (just west of Wichita) Kansas. For those of you that have come out in the past, you've experienced the highly competitive, yet laid back race atmosphere that we strive for. For those of you that haven't come out, I dare you to come experience it first hand. As I said it will be at Lake Afton RC Field, which Mike had a hand in building, it has both an asphalt and grass runway (side by side). It also has a dedicated concrete launch pad that allows us plenty of room to stretch out for race horse starts. I've yet to find a bad seat in the pits to see the close competition that this race is becoming known for. We will have our seasoned, I believe we are going on 11 years with them, workers as well as the always great lunch cooked by Vernelle Tallman.

This years prizes will be a little different. Along with trophies for first through third and fast time we will be giving cash; $200 for first, $100 for second, $50 for third and $100 for fast time.

We will also have a raffle with the prize being $150 in cash.

*RULES DEVIATION* - In the event that you receive a light and a cut on the same lap at Pylon 1, the cut will stand and a refly will not be issued.

I know we are a ways out but if you plan on attending, post here or shoot me an email @ lfinchcpa-sbcglobal.net (you know what to do to make it work) and let me know your AMA# as well as teammates.

I look forward to seeing you all at the race.

Flyer to follow shortly.

Lonnie
craigfarthing
Super Contributor

Re: 2023 Mike Tallman Legacy Race

Post by craigfarthing »

Lonnie,

As always I’m looking forward to another race with the HSF club

It’s always a great race;

Great friend , Good food and good Air.

See you there.

CraigFarthing
Bosman
Super Contributor

Post by Bosman »

Lonnie, we will be there. Thanks!

Brian Osman
Jordon Peace
Fly Fast n Left
Super Contributor

Post by Fly Fast n Left »

Lonnie- looking forward to it!

Jacob Raquet
AMA 650786
47H
sahartman21
Super Contributor

Post by sahartman21 »

Count me in:

Scott Hartman
Scott Hartman
Fritch, TX 79036
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

I know there are a couple other races a head of this one but I wanted to remind everyone of the Tallman Legacy Race coming up on September 23rd & 24th.

As of today I've heard from 28 pilots saying their coming, with rumors of 3-4 more. Let me know if you want to be added to the list.

1 Lonnie Finch
2 AJ Seaholm
3 Jason Duda
4 Neil Martin
5 Brian Richmond
6 Matt Fehling
7 Kurt Bozarth
8 Dub Jett
9 Richard Oliver
10 Jason Oliver
11 Dennis Cranfil
12 Rich Beers
13 Dan Coe
14 Duane Hulen
15 Jacob Raquet
16 Dan Thordarson
17 Scott Hartman
18 Gary James
19 Marty Bonse
20 Eddie Jump
21 Duane Gall
22 Craig Farthing
23 Doug Scherrer
24 Brian Osman
25 Jordan Peace
26 Pat Galarneault
27 Pat Redig
28 Phil Zuidema
29 Craig Grunkemeyer
30 JoAnn Coffey
31 Gino DelPonte
32 AJ Hemken
Last edited by rs-ssfan on Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Updated pilot list.
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Just two short weeks away before we'll be burning holes in the sky in Goddard, KS. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the race. Let me know if you're planning on making it this year.

I will be shutting down registration Friday night so I can get the matrix ran to avoid delays Saturday morning. If you're not going to make it out Friday for practice, make sure to let me know you're coming so I can get you in the matrix.

Thanks,
Lonnie
DHULEN
Super Contributor

Post by DHULEN »

I have a double room reserved in Goddard for Thursday, Friday and Saturday ground floor. If anyone wants to share a room, let me know.
Duane H
Never mind I found a roomie
Last edited by DHULEN on Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Updated the pilot's list
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Updated pilots list.
craigfarthing
Super Contributor

Post by craigfarthing »

If you didn’t make this race you missed a good one. We ran 10 rounds with 10 heats each. 100 races with no re- fly’s. As always Lonnie was a gracious host. My thanks to Roger, Lonnie, AJ and all of the workers for two Great Days of racing.
rs-ssfan
Super Contributor

Post by rs-ssfan »

Another Tallman Legacy race in the books.

I want to first personally thank all of the pilots that took the time to attend this race. As we all know Mike was a great guy/racer and it means the world to me that we can honor his memory with this race.

We ended up with 29 pilots, ran 3 plane heats with a race horse start and were able to peel off 10 rounds, 100 total races, with no reflies and were done by 4:30 on Saturday and 1:30 on Sunday. Thanks to all the pilots for staying on top of things to make that happen.

Saturday started off with a little bit of the Kansas wind blowing about 10-15mph, cloudy and cool. By the end of lunch someone had turn the fans off and the sun was out so it got a little warm in the afternoon. By the end of the day we were able to get a full 6 rounds of racing in by 4:30 and Dub closed the day out clean with Jason Oliver a point down and 4 guys tied 3 points down. Danny Coe posted a fast 1:01.53 to have the fast time at this point. My memory is a little foggy but I'm pretty sure we had a couple midairs, with Coe's and Hemken's midair being a very spectacular one.

Sunday I'd say was pretty much perfect weather. It started off cool, low humidity and a light breeze out of the north. This was proven when there were 5 or 6 1:01s posted in the first round on Sunday. By the end of it all the man himself, Dub Jett, ended the contest with a perfect score of 30 and the fast time of 1:00.46. He's got Jacob Raquet to thank for pushing him to that fast time in a very fun race to watch. Craig Grunkemery, AKA Jumpy, kept his jumping to a minimum and pulled out a second place finish with a respectable 1:01.15. Rounding out the top 3 is a local "kid" just 4 or 5 years new to racing, Marty Bonse with time of 1:06.80.

Here are the final results.
2023 Tallman Results_Page_1.jpg
2023 Tallman Results_Page_2.jpg
Thanks again to all that came out and to my fantastic work crew, see you all at the next one.

Lonnie