Lady Pylon Racers

Pylon Racing General Interest --
vonderhey
Super Contributor

Lady Pylon Racers

Post by vonderhey »

Lady Pylon Racers is a subject that is not talked about nearly enough. In honor of Women’s History month and the women that have raced Pylon and currently race Pylon, I feel that it’s time to bring the subject to the forefront of our sport.
First off, I am asking anyone who has photos or knowledge of any lady who has raced Pylon to please post the information and photos if you have them. As of right now I only have photos of Joanne Coffee who as far as I know is the most successful Lady Pylon Racer and has proven that she can beat any of us at any time. And we also have Annabelle Doe who has proven that she has what it takes to succeed at our sport. However, there has been many before Joanne and Annabelle. I have done some extensive research to verify who the First Lady Pylon Racer was and when she raced. I have combed over old news letters from the NMPRA and several clubs that hosted Pylon Races during it's inception and much to my surprise a lady by the name of Loretta Hall appears to be the First Lady Pylon Racer. Loretta was a very active RC pilot who belonged to the Valley Flyers and the NMPRA as well. Loretta was the Secretary/Treasurer for both organizations from the late 1960s through the mid 1970s. Loretta was also an editor for the Valley Flyers and the NMPRA as well. She wrote about the races quite often and was very involved with all aspects of Pylon Racing. But did she race?? The articles that were written at the time talked about Formula One and listed the top five or ten finishers but not all of the contestants, so I couldn’t find evidence that Loretta Hall raced Pylon. I did read articles that mentioned she was test flying Sportsman Class models which is known today as Q-500, but still no evidence that Loretta raced Pylon. I finally turned to the two people who knew Loretta and could verify what I suspected from everything that I read. In late October 2022 I called Clarence and Peggy Lee. Both Clarence and Peggy verified that Loretta Hall in fact raced the Sportsman Class and Formula One. According to Clarence and Peggy she had some success in the Sportsman Class and unfortunately was greeted with adversity in the few attempts she made at Formula One. Clarence and Peggy also agreed that Loretta Hall was the First Lady Pylon Racer. If anyone has anything to add to this information please do so, the more the better.
After Loretta Hall there has been quite a list of Lady Pylon Racers who all have proved that they can talk the talk and walk the walk. Here is a list of the Lady Pylon Racers that I know of. If I missed anyone, please forgive me, and please add that special Lady to the list.

Loretta Hall
Nancy Rutherford
Jessica Thuroit
Karen Yeager
Ally Russell
Annabelle Doe
Joanne Coffee
Sarah Benham
Marlene Nikodem

You Girls Go!! Von Der Hey
Last edited by vonderhey on Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Doolittle
Super Contributor

Re: Lady Pylon Racers

Post by Dr.Doolittle »

Hi Lee,

Great post. I think that Joanne Coffey is the fastest female Q40 on the planet!! A rocking time of 1:01:97 set at Whittier on March 19, 2022.
Wow, you go girl once again!!!

Dr. Doolittle!!!
Terry Frazer
Super Contributor

Post by Terry Frazer »

Add Sarah Benham to the list.Raced in Caps 426
cpaine
Super Contributor

Post by cpaine »

Marlene Nikodem was a racer back in the UPRC days. Jim Nikodems mom.
She beat up on me pretty good on the course when i was just getting into pylon! miss those days...
tomdooly
Super Contributor

Post by tomdooly »

Jessica Thurrott started racing in the NEPRO circuit in the early eighties with her dad Irv Thurrott. I found this picture/article taken at the Bowie.MD. Quicke race in 1983.
https://library.modelaviation.com/artic ... id=1&pid=1

She went on to be sponsored by the Samurai Race Team, and I'm still looking for pictures from that period.

Another name to be considered is Bernice Williams. I'm not sure if she ever raced, but she, along with her husband Burt, was a sparkplug for racing in the Northeast.
Bernice Willaims-NE's Pylon Organizer!.JPG
Greg Doe
Super Contributor

Post by Greg Doe »

On the last page of the NMPRA Pylon Racing Book, published in 1973 there is a picture of a lady racing. I don't recognized her, so at the risk of pointing out someone who is already in our list, I ask if anyone can identify her?
vonderhey
Super Contributor

Post by vonderhey »

Greg, I am almost certain that the photo in the NMPRA program is Loretta Hall. If you can please post the photo for us, that would be great. I have two copies of that one year only program that are still packed in a box somewhere after the move to NC. Thanks, Von Der Hey.
tomdooly
Super Contributor

Post by tomdooly »

Lee and Greg...
Here is the picture from the NMPRA program:
Page73.jpg
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

tomdooly wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:42 pm Lee and Greg...
Here is the picture from the NMPRA program:

Page73.jpg
Any names to the faces in that pic.
And I said, here am I send me.
Greg Doe
Super Contributor

Post by Greg Doe »

Ray, What Tom has posted above is all there is with the picture. There are no names.
Laird
Super Contributor

Post by Laird »

Little before my time, but I recognize a few

Upper left:
Bob and Witt Stockwell (Witt flying)
Middle left:
Bob and Chuck Smith (Chuck flying)
Lower left:
Pretty sure caller is Danny McCann, and flying might be Jeff Bertkin (?) or maybe Kent Nogy(?)

Those are the only ones I can identify. Lower middle might be Jim Jenson flying, but not sure.

Laird
Von Der Hey
Super Contributor

Post by Von Der Hey »

I spoke to Bob Smith today regarding the photo in the 1972 NMPRA program and Bob 100% confirmed that the Lady Pylon Racer in the photo is Loretta Hall. He also is positive that Loretta Hall was the first Lady Pylon Racer. Von Der Hey
tomdooly
Super Contributor

Post by tomdooly »

More pictures: From the 85 Nats where Jessica Thurrott took Best Senior in FAI and Nancy Rutherford took Best Senior in F1...
85Nats.jpg
From the 86 Nats where Nancy took Best Senior in Quarter Midget and Jessica took 9th and Best Senior in F1. Also a picture of Karen Yeager as official starter...
86Nats-1.jpg
86Nats-2.jpg
86Nats-3.jpg
From the 87 Nats where Nancy (Rutherford>Hodgson?) flew in F1 and Jessica took 3rd in Q500 and 8th in F1.
87Nats-1.jpg
87Nats-2.jpg
tomdooly
Super Contributor

Post by tomdooly »

The top finishers at the 87 Nats...
87Nats-3.jpg
Lots of great memories in these photos!!
GaryS
Super Contributor

Post by GaryS »

Those are great Tom, thanks for posting!

I miss the old MA coverage of the Nats!
GS