CAPS: Indy Shootout 5/20 - 5/21

Pylon Racing General Interest --
kane
Super Contributor

CAPS: Indy Shootout 5/20 - 5/21

Post by kane »

If you are planning on attending please take the time to pre-register at the following link. Unfortunately, Tom Melshimer will not be able to attend. Myself and Jim Nikodem will be herding you cats. Trey Witte has graciously volunteered to do the matrix and pre-registration greatly eases that pain. Punch your buddies in the arm if you know they are coming and have not registered online yet.

http://www.capsracing.com/registerIndyShootout.html

ANY questions please let me know...

FYI, there is a rule proposal raising the battery weight in EF-1 from 335g to 365g. This has passed the contest board as an emergency proposal, therefore, I will be allowing heavier batteries during this contest in EF-1 and 424E. In addition, both 9x6E and 8x8E props will be used during this contest. Rounds 1&2 will be 8x8 and the remaining rounds will be 9x6. WE WILL NOT BE USING THE 9x7.5E props in either event. If caught using you will be publicly humiliated for CHEATING!

See you in a couple of weeks!

DK
kane
Super Contributor

Re: CAPS: Indy Shootout 5/20 - 5/21

Post by kane »

This is who has officially registered:
Attachments
shootout 5-17.JPG
Last edited by kane on Wed May 17, 2023 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Post by airplanescotty »

Since I became a CD, and hosted races , and ask my club to volunteer in support of pylon I realized how much work is involved!

Then I paid attention to what the pilots had to do to attend and support a race!!!

The bottom line,,, a serious commitment on both sides!

When expected entrant numbers fall short the club says Why are we doing this??????

Pilots buy the radios, receivers, etc,,, and struggle with attendance due to vacations, work time off ,,, all that….

Bottom line , if a club is willing to put on a race,,,, we need to show up!!!

If we don’t,,,, the next race won’t be an issue!!!!

Scotty Thoughts!
QTR ~ Waste Not A Moment!!!!!
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

Still looks like some guys have not pre-registered. If you have buddies who are planning on coming please take the time to register.

DK
MikeyD
Super Contributor

Post by MikeyD »

I did should be in the next update.
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

Another quick note about the weekend. We would like to start racing at 8:30 on Saturday. Pilot's meeting at 8:10. Registration is closed at 7:15 AM. Paper work and registration will need to be handled on Friday afternoon.

DK
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

MikeyD wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:47 am I did should be in the next update.
Mike,

I do not see your name on the update. I think when you confirm your last name it needs to be exactly as typed earlier. I had an issue when registering, and not typing a capital "K" in Kane. Perhaps others are having this issue as well.

It's only a couple days away. Please let me know if someone not listed intends on participating.

DK
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

The race is in the books! Huge shout out to everyone that puts in time to make racing possible. Tom Melsheimer was not able to attend this weekend and did his best (which was over and above) to make sure everything was available and ready to go.

Mark Zeal pulled the CAPS trailer to the event with new custom cabinets Tom had built. Mark and Jim Nikodem were the first to arrive and the last to leave setting up equipment. We need to make sure we keep guys like this happy and helping. Can’t do it without them.

Trey Witte, stepped in to create and run the matrix as well as helping with the scoring computer. And oh yeah, he flew all 4 events and called for others! Huge help!!!!

The Boy Scouts manned the course as usual. We had some new people in key spots and they were perfect all weekend!!!!!

Terry Frazer bailed us out with some walkie talkie help!

In the end we flew 5 rounds of 426 and 5 rounds of EF-1 on Saturday. Sunday we switched up the format a little. First heat took off at 8:24. We flew 2 rounds of 424, then 4 rounds of 422, took a 1/2 hour lunch break and picked up with 1 round of 424, then the final round of 422 and finished the day with 2 rounds of 424. All done by 3:00 and awards handed out by 3:30.

Thank you to all the competitors that took the time to compete!

And congrats to Mike Helsel for showing us how to do it!

DK
twitte
Super Contributor

Post by twitte »

Final results
IMG_8128.jpeg
IMG_8129.jpeg
IMG_8132.jpeg
IMG_8131.jpeg
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

Another note:

In 424:

Daniel Troup used an EVO 46.
Clint Seyer used a Jett Conversion
Jim Nikodem used an electric (rimfire) with a 9x6E
Larry Lisowski used an electric (avian) with a 9x6E

In EF-1:
I used my Spektrum Gen1 batteries that I have been running for 5 years. My 1:08 was set using a 8x8.

We flew the 9x6 props for the last two rounds. Take offs were interesting as we had some cross winds and there was more prop strikes than normal with the 8x8. Which is weird because the airplanes leap off the ground. Kind of like a quickee. In any case as we transition to the 9x6 which is what is coming rules wise. I encourage anyone flying EF-1 to try the 9x6 and provide feedback. The Nats will use the 8x8 this year.

DK