EF-1 Urgent Battery Change...

Pylon Racing General Interest --
kane
Super Contributor

EF-1 Urgent Battery Change...

Post by kane »

Guys,

I have fielded some questions regarding the increase from 335g to 365g. Here is the reasoning behind why.

1. Allows for cost effective, readily available batteries.
2. Allows for increased capacity. (particularly, helpful for 424)

Personally, I have not tested any other batteries. I plan to run my 3200 Gen 1 Spektrum batteries this year.

DK
Sparky
Super Contributor

Re: EF-1 Urgent Battery Change...

Post by Sparky »

It would have been worth while (courtesy) to canvas the pilots who are currently flying EF-1/424e about a rules change.....
Instead an emergency rules proposal fiat (look it up) is issued and no discussion between the competitors.
Whats wrong with the 2 years rules cycle?
I have a few $ of batteries recently purchased that might no longer be competitive :(
Sparky
RCjunkie
Super Contributor

Post by RCjunkie »

Why are we changing to a larger size? With all the testing I have done with 2700ma 4 cell I get about 18 laps, with about 40% left in the tank.
2 wrongs don't make a right But 2 Wrights makes a Airplane
Kevin Matney http://www.Matneymodels.com
734 - 848 - 8195
"IN GOD WE TRUST " 44W
RCjunkie
Super Contributor

Post by RCjunkie »

Dan I just check this out
Product Weight 13.58oz (385g) https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/14 ... 4S100.html
734 - 848 - 8195
"IN GOD WE TRUST " 44W
RCjunkie
Super Contributor

Post by RCjunkie »

This very easy to fix, just take away the weight form the battery and use the weight of the airplane to be 3 3/4 lbs, no madder what the battery weight is, That way we will not be fixing 1 more time, Just said 4 cell is the only battery
734 - 848 - 8195
"IN GOD WE TRUST " 44W
Jim DeYoung
Super Contributor

Post by Jim DeYoung »

I am hoping this does not obsolete my current batteries. You can get 2700 mha batteries from hobby king for $45. That's pretty cheap. I did not see any need to change the rules.
Sparky
Super Contributor

Post by Sparky »

Moderator should move this discussion over to the. "Electric Pylon Racing forum"
Sparky
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

RCjunkie wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:52 pm Why are we changing to a larger size? With all the testing I have done with 2700ma 4 cell I get about 18 laps, with about 40% left in the tank.
Kevin, it is not about you or me. It is about the guy that kills his 2700 in 8 laps, that we are trying to help.

Regarding the next post and the gen 2 battery at 385. I have no clue what your point is. That battery is not legal. It does not have a balance cable.

Taking away the requirement for weight opens the door for anything. NO this is not what we need. We need limits and the new limit is 365g. We are trying to get guys into racing and enjoy racing not turn them away.

DK
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

Jim DeYoung wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:54 am I am hoping this does not obsolete my current batteries. You can get 2700 mha batteries from hobby king for $45. That's pretty cheap. I did not see any need to change the rules.

Jim, valid point. I hope this does not cause any hardships. Previous experience shows that when we started with 2200, we went faster with 2600's. When we went to 2700's and 3300's we went faster even yet. I am not sure what will happen and we will find out as the year progresses. The issue is the top tier guys are going to push the limits and the perception is going to be that those are required to compete. This issue is not new and we fight this all the time. Hopefully, this comes out in the wash and the sting goes away quickly.

DK
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

Sparky wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:35 am Moderator should move this discussion over to the. "Electric Pylon Racing forum"
Sparky
Sparky, I put it here to get more traffic. I would like to keep here.

DK
DHG
Super Contributor

Post by DHG »

Just a couple-three additional points:

1. The vote to do this on an urgent basis was not unanimous. As I recall, DK actually lobbied against immediate enforcement. But a majority of the contest board decided it should happen right away, so here we are.

2. The proposal (RCP24-03U, posted at www.modelaircraft.org ) also streamlines the rule by flatly stating that the battery must have a balance tap so it can be tested before a heat. The prior version of the rule allowed batteries without a balance tap and gave a lower minimum weight for those. IMHO this version reduces headaches for the contest director and closes a loophole, whatever else happens regarding weight & capacity.

3. I got a couple of the Venom Fly 3600s some time ago, and as far as I can tell, they are no faster than my Dinogy 3300s. (Of course they did meet the existing weight limit at the time.) So it remains to be seen whether raising the weight limit by 30 grams will actually obsolete anything. I hope not.

Yours for continuing to boldly go somewhere or other,
Duane Gall
Tied for 1st going into Round 1
Bob_T
Super Contributor

Post by Bob_T »

Both Dinogy and Venom are gone (out of business) best I can tell. Checking around the internet, the Turnigy Nanotech's that many of us use are out of stock with no ETA posted. So that takes away a lot of options, even the Spektrums, unless you find some old stock with the balance cords. I found one or two other companies that have some "high C" 4S batteries that are 3300+ mah and the specs say they would meet the "new" weight limits, but not the recent "old" limits, but they are stupidly expensive. So, it looks like this is headed towards whoever wants to pay the most, or finds a secret company that they will not share with the other EF1 racers, will have a competitive advantage, not considering the flying capabilities of the pilot. Looks like EF1 is moving more towards a class where you are more or less racing someone else's battery, not a class to "attract new pilots". Who would want to join into EF1 racing and then go out and get severely lapped by someone just because they have the "better battery". Just my thoughts.

Bob
Last edited by Bob_T on Wed May 17, 2023 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DHG
Super Contributor

Post by DHG »

Well, doesn't that just perfectly fit the pattern since 1974. If it's not the airframes, it's the motors, and if it's not the motors, it's the batteries. Apparently there's a 10 Commandments of Marketing that starts out with "1. Thou shalt immediately discontinue anything that is perfectly suited to an introductory R/C Pylon racing event." :x

That said, I just took a quick look and found this. I fly with a couple of guys who are into EDF jets and they've had good luck with this brand. Might have to get some just to try.

https://www.altitudehobbies.com/collect ... po-battery

YMMV
Duane
Tied for 1st going into Round 1
RCjunkie
Super Contributor

Post by RCjunkie »

kane wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:21 am
RCjunkie wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:52 pm Why are we changing to a larger size? With all the testing I have done with 2700ma 4 cell I get about 18 laps, with about 40% left in the tank.
Kevin, it is not about you or me. It is about the guy that kills his 2700 in 8 laps, that we are trying to help.

Regarding the next post and the gen 2 battery at 385. I have no clue what your point is. That battery is not legal. It does not have a balance cable.

Taking away the requirement for weight opens the door for anything. NO this is not what we need. We need limits and the new limit is 365g. We are trying to get guys into racing and enjoy racing not turn them away.

DK
You do not have to have a balance port. It you do not have a balance port the eight is 315 grs

b. Maximum Battery Weight: Motor battery pack shall have a maximum weight of 335
grams including all connectors, wires and shrink tubing. It is recommended that batteries
utilize a balancing tap to balance the individual cells as part of the charging process;
however, batteries without a balancing connector are permitted and shall have a
maximum weight of 315 grams
734 - 848 - 8195
"IN GOD WE TRUST " 44W
T.Doe
Super Contributor

Post by T.Doe »

Hope this change doesn't cause any issues. That being said my performance at the NATS last year was not great had issues with the poles. But I had a 1:14 with a midair and a clean last race with a 1:09, I missed fast time by 2 thousands to Jimmy Allen flying a gen one Spectrum battery. And the midair in round 1 was with Jimmy