2023 Mile High Champ Race update

Pylon Racing General Interest --
Hanknsd
Super Contributor

2023 Mile High Champ Race update

Post by Hanknsd »

2023 Mile-High Q40 Champ Race, September 9th and 10h.

Lee VonDerHey will kindly be donating a Q40 Nelson for a drawing.

Premier racing at a premier site, hosted by Jefco Aeromod'lers at Chatfield State Park in the beautiful Colorado foothills. Bring the family for nearby camping, sailing, hiking, biking, shaded pavilion for spectators and dining.
One important reminder to those that might consider camping at the Chatfield Park, you must get your reservations early 303-470-1144. Reservations can only be made 6 months to the day in advance.
There is a park admission $10/day per vehicle. No flying before 7:00 am any day.
We will limit the entries to the 1st paid 88 registrations and run a minimum of 8 rounds.
$500 for 1st place, $1000 for fast time & $500 drawing for every paid registration (Must be present to win) trophies for top 4 plus drawing prizes.
The entry fee will be $150.
We may be providing a 30’x 60’ tent depending on demand There will (18) 10’x10’ spaces that can be rented @ Cost to be $150 per space. If the demand is for much more than (18) spaces we may consider another 30’x 60’ tent. Paid reservations for a space must be made by July 31st. Our cost like everything else has increased. We are not making any money, this is our actual cost. Therefore, any cancellations after August 1st are nonrefundable. Unless you bring your own, there will not be any other shade provided.
Absolutely the best food from Smiley’s BBQ will be available for purchase Friday, Saturday & Sunday.
The field, with a 600' paved runway will be closed for regular sport flying and open for race practice Friday September the 8th. I will try get Thursday also. Practice fuel will be available for purchase.
Please note registration will close Friday night. You will not be in the matrix otherwise.
Tech inspection ends Friday night. Pilots will be required to demonstrate fail safe mode.
AMA and NMPRA membership required.
Once again, we will not be printing the matrix or race results, they will posted on line and displayed on a large monitor in the pavilion. Judgeman light system.
Practice on race days from 7:00 am to 8:00 am. Pilots meeting 8:00 am. Racing starts 8:30 a.m. Sat & Sun.
Pilots will be shuttled back and forth to the starting line. If you are not on the shuttle once it leaves the final staging area you are out of that heat.
You will not be able to chase the shuttle or walk out to the line.
We will also have a 4-wheeler with a driver that will retrieve planes that have landed either short or long.
We have a lot of flying to get in, so we appreciate everyone’s cooperation in keeping things moving.
Time schedule will be Strictly Enforced!!!
After the Sunday racing and flyoffs we will be presenting trophies, cash prizes and drawing give away. It would be best not to plan any Sunday afternoon flights.
Please let me know if there are any cancellations or additions. Flyer and registration form below.
Look forward to seeing you in our beautiful Colorado Summer. Can you run and win a mile high?
Regards Hank D
nsdraft@comcast.net 303-875-9328

1:Dan Thordarson.
2:Kurt Bozarth.
3:Brian Neff
4:Gary James
5:Chuck Andraka
6:Jacob Racquet
7:Doug Killebrew
8:Lee Von Der Hey
9:Laird Owens
10:Craig Farthing
11:Duane Gall
12:AJ Seaholm
13:Dan Coe
14:Lonnie Finch
15:Dean Stone
16:Doug Scherrer
17:Richard Beers
18:Eddie Jump
19:Marty Bonse
20:Jim Allen
21: Scott Hartman
Attachments
2023 Champ Race Flyer Reduced.pdf
(456.14 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
2023 Mile High Q40 Champ RC Pylon Race entry form.pdf
(108.71 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Last edited by Hanknsd on Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
sahartman21
Super Contributor

Re: 2023 Mile High Champ Race update

Post by sahartman21 »

Hank, add me to the participants. Ama 98573 and Nmpra 30h
Scott Hartman
Fritch, TX 79036
Hanknsd
Super Contributor

Post by Hanknsd »

2023 Mile-High Q40 Champ Race, September 9th and 10h.

Lee VonDerHey will kindly be donating a Q40 Nelson for a drawing.

Premier racing at a premier site, hosted by Jefco Aeromod'lers at Chatfield State Park in the beautiful Colorado foothills. Bring the family for nearby camping, sailing, hiking, biking, shaded pavilion for spectators and dining.
One important reminder to those that might consider camping at the Chatfield Park, you must get your reservations early 303-470-1144. Reservations can only be made 6 months to the day in advance.
There is a park admission $10/day per vehicle. No flying before 7:00 am any day.
We will limit the entries to the 1st paid 88 registrations and run a minimum of 8 rounds.
$500 for 1st place, $1000 for fast time & $500 drawing for every paid registration (Must be present to win) trophies for top 4 plus drawing prizes.
The entry fee will be $150.
We may be providing a 30’x 60’ tent depending on demand There will (18) 10’x10’ spaces that can be rented @ Cost to be $150 per space. If the demand is for much more than (18) spaces we may consider another 30’x 60’ tent. Paid reservations for a space must be made by July 31st. Our cost like everything else has increased. We are not making any money, this is our actual cost. Therefore, any cancellations after August 1st are nonrefundable. Unless you bring your own, there will not be any other shade provided.
Absolutely the best food from Smiley’s BBQ will be available for purchase Friday, Saturday & Sunday.
The field, with a 600' paved runway will be closed for regular sport flying and open for race practice Friday September the 8th. I will try get Thursday also. Practice fuel will be available for purchase.
Please note registration will close Friday night. You will not be in the matrix otherwise.
Tech inspection ends Friday night. Pilots will be required to demonstrate fail safe mode.
AMA and NMPRA membership required.
Once again, we will not be printing the matrix or race results, they will posted on line and displayed on a large monitor in the pavilion. Judgeman light system.
Practice on race days from 7:00 am to 8:00 am. Pilots meeting 8:00 am. Racing starts 8:30 a.m. Sat & Sun.
Pilots will be shuttled back and forth to the starting line. If you are not on the shuttle once it leaves the final staging area you are out of that heat.
You will not be able to chase the shuttle or walk out to the line.
We will also have a 4-wheeler with a driver that will retrieve planes that have landed either short or long.
We have a lot of flying to get in, so we appreciate everyone’s cooperation in keeping things moving.
Time schedule will be Strictly Enforced!!!
After the Sunday racing and flyoffs we will be presenting trophies, cash prizes and drawing give away. It would be best not to plan any Sunday afternoon flights.
Please let me know if there are any cancellations or additions. Flyer and registration form below.
Look forward to seeing you in our beautiful Colorado Summer. Can you run and win a mile high?
Regards Hank D
nsdraft@comcast.net 303-875-9328

1:Dan Thordarson.
2:Kurt Bozarth.
3:Brian Neff
4:Gary James
5:Chuck Andraka
6:Jacob Racquet
7:Doug Killebrew
8:Lee Von Der Hey
9:Laird Owens
10:Craig Farthing
11:Duane Gall
12:AJ Seaholm
13:Dan Coe
14:Lonnie Finch
15:Dean Stone
16:Doug Scherrer
17:Richard Beers
18:Mark Martin
19:Eddie Jump
20:Marty Bonse
21:Jim Allen
22: Scott Hartman
Attachments
2023 Champ Race Flyer Reduced.pdf
(456.14 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
2023 Mile High Q40 Champ RC Pylon Race entry form.pdf
(108.71 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
sahartman21
Super Contributor

Post by sahartman21 »

The champ race is about a month away and I thought I'd provide some information on how I prepare.

1) I picked a very forgiving model for use in Denver. The model is very predictable and is not susceptible to stalling. If your model is susceptible to stalling, you might consider moving the center of gravity forward a little bit to help address.

2) The higher altitude of Denver makes it difficult to run the engine. I lower the head clearance approximately two or three thousandths to improve the runability. I normally run a 7.4 x 7.5 propeller for the first runs.

3) The aileron and elevator functions are generally sluggish when flying in Denver. I generally increase the throws above the initial settings. As an example, if you run 50% throw on elevator, you might raise the throw to 57%. The same applies to aileron and rudder throws.

I've been to several Denver races and found they are very fun but challenging. I hope to see you there.
Attachments
83b3eab4520515f601a888b70721b1de.0.jpg
Last edited by sahartman21 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Hartman
Fritch, TX 79036
DHG
Super Contributor

Post by DHG »

+1 to what Scott said. Also, if you have dual aileron servos or can modify your setup, a flaperon function definitely helps for landing. I've found that just a little "droop" in the ailerons and (usually) a hair of up elevator trim mixed in will tame them quite a bit. Start small, use trial & error, but don't be afraid of it. My belief, which is now untestable and therefore unassailable ( :lol: ) is that we would've been doing this 30 years ago in Formula 1 if servos hadn't been so expensive and radio systems hadn't been so primitive.

E = MV^2. Therefore, if you're going 10% slower when you touch down, the energy you have to dissipate on the rollout is reduced by a lot more than you think. I'll leave it to the math whizzes to calculate exactly how much, but I measure it in terms of broken props, filler and paint. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Duane
Tied for 1st going into Round 1