Q40 Basin Classic Results

Pylon Racing General Interest --
rocket
Super Contributor

Re: Q40 Basin Classic Feb 29-Mar 3rd

Post by rocket »

AlexVazquez wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:04 pm
stoned wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:04 pm I will have nelson HD plugs for sale.60$ a bag,5 per bag.cash only please. Dean

Hi, please hold 1 bag for me,
Regards,
Alex
I'll have some extra Italian plugs.
And I said, here am I send me.
stoned
Super Contributor

Post by stoned »

Doug
Please take me off the list as I won't be able to make it. Hopefully next year. Dean
DHG
Super Contributor

Post by DHG »

rocket wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:47 am I'll have some extra Italian plugs.
Ray, what's "extra Italian"? Crispy crust? Cilantro? Wood-fired? Long finish?

Not that I would ever say no. Just ask Kurt! :mrgreen:
Tied for 1st going into Round 1
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

DHG wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:44 pm
rocket wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:47 am I'll have some extra Italian plugs.
Ray, what's "extra Italian"? Crispy crust? Cilantro? Wood-fired? Long finish?

Not that I would ever say no. Just ask Kurt! :mrgreen:
No snapchat, it's cheese crust, pineapple, New York style Italian. The plug that set fast time in 426 at the Nats and silenced the red plug naysayers.
killerd
Super Contributor

Re: Urgent Message - Q40 Basin Classic

Post by killerd »

Be advised of weather as of Monday Feb 26th!!

Unfortunately the weather outlook isn't looking good at the moment. The storm approaching shows rain on Friday and Saturday(Mar 1-2) with a 40% chance on Sunday giving us 1 practice day and a possibility of racing on Sunday. Keep in mind with the recent flooding, it’s likely the park might close access to the field if it’s raining hard. This is the one thing beyond our control and I wanted to bring this to your attention before you begin your travels.
This is really a shame since the pilot list had reached an impressive 60 before we had some last minute withdrawals. I’m not issuing a cancellation of the event as sometimes the storm dissipates as we get closer to race day, but I’m not optimistic this time since the forecast has been getting worse over the past week as I’ve monitored it.
Last edited by killerd on Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MLH
Super Contributor

Post by MLH »

Thanks Doug. Dub and I will not attend. This time of the year is tough for weather in LA.
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

The latest weather Friday and Saturday. Rain late Friday and early Saturday. It's changing for the better.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240226_163015_Weather.jpg
Screenshot_20240226_163057_Weather.jpg
Laird
Super Contributor

Post by Laird »

I like getting my forecasts for weather at:

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/ca/van-nuys

It's usually pretty accurate locally looking out a couple of days.

Something to note, like Rocket said, it looks like rain Fri and Saturday. About .3/in each day, with winds increasing in the afternoon Saturday to 10-15kts. Better on Sunday.

There is another catch though. The wind is predicted to switch on Sunday morning from the normal South flow to a Northerly direction after about 9am.

If you been to the basin before you know it's under the traffic pattern of Van Nuys airport, and a couple of years ago the FAA made an airspace grab and anytime they switch the pattern to allow landing from the South, it's policy that our field gets shut down due to the low level GA traffic setting up for a landing. Not sure how much they enforce now, but that's the policy, so it is a possibility.

Just something else we may have to deal with, so please be aware.

Best of luck to everyone.

Laird
killerd
Super Contributor

Post by killerd »

Thanks for the weather link Laird. The newest FAA contract was updated and that rule doesn’t exist anymore. We just have altitude to contend with like it’s always been and the pylon guys have been good. Generally, sanctioned events like our pylon races have not captured the attention of the Van Nuys Control Tower. Let’s Hope Saturday continues to clear a bit as Sunday has started looking much better.

Doug K
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Post by airplanescotty »

Basin March races, were always IF'y, usually windy and cold,,, even in the 70's with F1 & Spickler 500's.

One year we rotated the take-off direction, left the course as is, and enjoyed the competition and the times,, Not So Much :roll: :o :D

Scotty
QTR ~ Waste Not A Moment!!!!!
killerd
Super Contributor

Post by killerd »

The Basin Race is in the books and while we fell short of the goal by 1 round, the 7 rounds of competition gave us some of the very best head to head heat racing I've ever seen. There was a couple of hours of "fast air" where it seemed like going sub-minute was easy. I can honestly say that at least a dozen more would have broken a minute had it not been for a pesky cut including myself as I nipped pylon 3 in the lead and handed the pilot behind me a win along with a 58 and change. The weather was certainly a challenge on Saturday and the field conditions were far from perfect, but when the rain stopped and racing started, we started clicking off heats and managed to get 3 rounds in as we flew almost till 5. Sunday's we ran 4 rounds followed by the flyoffs and every round saw shakeups in the top 10 as mid airs, bad air, and pylon hits shook up the standings.

I would like to thank everyone who attended this event from all over the US and making it a race to remember. Team Mexico, Team Brazil and Team Canada really increased the level of competition and are quite exciting to watch. 26 heats were picked at random and the winner received a fast cash payout of $50. The smiles from those heat cash winners were motivating and seemed to bring a little extra to the event. Thank you to Robert and Annie at APC for helping keep the heat cash trend going and our other sponsors also including Hank Diepenbroek, Barbara Van Baren, and Lee Von Der Hey & Aero Racing Engines that donated an engine that helped raise $$ for the club. Thanks to the Valley Flyers club for getting the field mostly cleared of the flood mud so we could have the event. I'm expecting pictures from a few people showcasing the event and will post those ASAP.

Here are the standings along with the winner of the last built Von Der Hey Nelson Engine, Javier Castellanos
Attachments
IMG_1082.jpeg
IMG_1083.jpeg
IMG_1084.jpeg
killerd
Super Contributor

Re: Q40 Basin Classic Results

Post by killerd »

Some photo from the weekend along with the top 5!!
Attachments
IMG_0179.jpeg
IMG_0170.jpeg
IMG_0169.jpeg
IMG_0175.jpeg
IMG_0168.jpeg
IMG_0161.jpeg
killerd
Super Contributor

Post by killerd »

Last couple of photos for now
Attachments
IMG_0171.jpeg
IMG_0166.jpeg
pylonracing_jessicatill-100.jpeg
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

Any pics of me on the start line? That's all I got..
killerd
Super Contributor

Post by killerd »

Group photo
Attachments
IMG_1109.jpeg