Picking race dates

Pylon Racing General Interest --
Jim DeYoung
Super Contributor

Re: Picking race dates

Post by Jim DeYoung »

We do not separate out a standard class. We have held the race the last 4 years. Our attendance has varied between 14 and 18 racers. I think even though some of the local guys will not win, they like being included in the race. I also think they like the bragging rights if they finish higher than another local guy.
Another thing we do is practice on quit a few Saturday mornings. Danny and I and 3 or 4 guys will take turns flying around the pylons. We start at 8 and go until the sport guys show up. usually around 11. We try our best not to be a bother to the other sport flyers. The practice is a lot of fun and very beneficial to the new guys and myself.
Jim
DT
Super Contributor

Re: Picking race dates

Post by DT »

This is a wonderful thread, unfortunately it sounds like maybe the wrong message is going around? The message that races should not be scheduled in the same month doesn’t sound correct! Though you might want to look to see if there’s an east coast OJA and a Westcoast champ race scheduled the same weekend might just be competing for some of the same pilots! If a local race on each coast is scheduled for the same weekend they most likely succeeded

Use me for example, if Denver or Wichita schedule a race the same weekend as Woodland I’d most certainly support my local race at Woodland but typically I support both races! If schedule a couple of weeks apart if possible I would attend both! That’s why on the Forecast Calender I’ve supplied the event, date and CD contact info!

Dennis and I had a wonderful conversation regarding the Texas and Cali race being held on the same date, fortunately both races were successful but in analyzing the entries ten pilot that normally support Cali were at their local races! If this was “Forecast” earlier Cali could have moved their date easily !

Another example you’ll find on the Forecast Calendar is the Warbird events! For the west coast and AZ they are a big thing, at the last Chino race I counted over 10 3 pole pilots in attendance! That’s 10 pilots that wouldn’t attend my local race as I don’t offer $1500 first place prize! I make sure I stay out of those dates.

So support local events and review the Forecast calender to see if you’ll be competing with another event! This hobby is getting too fragile to compete!

My thoughts!
Dan Thordarson
Member of the 57 sec club
53c