New President Hack

Pylon Racing General Interest --
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

New President Hack

Post by airplanescotty »

I just received the same Email Hack that was received from the previous NMPRA President, Mr. Trey, but this time Mr. Doug :oops: :o :roll:

Clearly, the Hack, is NMPRA specific and not the individual!

Scotty
QTR ~ Waste Not A Moment!!!!!
AlexVazquez
Super Contributor

Re: New President Hack

Post by AlexVazquez »

I also received an email from Doug today.
Pylon Racing Mexico
NMPRA 30y
D9 VP
killerd
Super Contributor

Post by killerd »

Any advice on how to stop it? It didn’t come from my personal email, but somehow has all of yours??
delateurj
Super Contributor

Post by delateurj »

The way email works basically anybody can set up a server and send email as somebody else.
There is two things that show up in an email, the "name" and the email address.
One can set the name to be anything and its the name that most email apps show prominently. For example gmail shows the "name" in the list of emails. If you click on an email the email address is in smaller font in brackets to the right of the "name".
So unless these email are shown as coming from doug's email address, its not an indication he has been hacked.
Actually its the receiver of the email that the "hacker" has found out the "names" of email's he receives.
All in all, check the email address to be sure its from who you think.
If its not, mark as spam.
If you actually receive an email from someone's email address and they say they didn't send it, that is more concerning.
One IT guys opinion for what its worth.
- Joe.
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Post by airplanescotty »

Hi Joe, this is what I received ~ Doug Killebrew <fast.reply011@virginmedia.com>.

This Fast.Reply is not the Email address I have for Doug, so prolly not from him!

If I mark the next EM from this address as SPAM, will GMAIL sent all Future EM's with this address to SPAM?

Scotty
killerd
Super Contributor

Post by killerd »

Thanks Joe. I appreciate the feedback and agree that verifying the email of the sender is key with all the spam we get these days. I wish I know how they got everyone’s email. My personal friends didn’t get it, only racing friends..

Doug K
MikeyD
Super Contributor

Post by MikeyD »

Hi Doug, M2C also an IT nerd. Bots work 24/7 scanning public websites for name@address.* If anyone has laid down an email address on this site they are vulnerable to phishing. In addition bots can scan for key words such as president, election, and treasure also become targets for phishing expeditions. In short not a lot can be done on a public forum like this. People can use reasonable judgment of course when receiving email.

Mike
delateurj
Super Contributor

Post by delateurj »

The spam filters work off the email address, so you should still receive legit emails.
airplanescotty wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:29 am Hi Joe, this is what I received ~ Doug Killebrew <fast.reply011@virginmedia.com>.

This Fast.Reply is not the Email address I have for Doug, so prolly not from him!

If I mark the next EM from this address as SPAM, will GMAIL sent all Future EM's with this address to SPAM?

Scotty
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Post by airplanescotty »

I too am I.T. but IBM Mainframe ,,,

Oh good!!!

Thank You

Scotty
fizzwater2
Super Contributor

Post by fizzwater2 »

Just got one today. Haven't (and won't) respond.
Out of all the places we could be, this is one of them.
jima
Super Contributor

Post by jima »

This is happening to AMA clubs as well. Treasurers and sometimes other officers are getting fake emails trying to get the Treasurer to send money to make a payment.
killerd
Super Contributor

Post by killerd »

Please verify the email address matches the name. Jim is correct. They are trying to open a dialogue to get $$.