Texas Race 2024 "Quickie 500 Championship?"

Pylon Racing General Interest --
dwc1
Super Contributor

Texas Race 2024 "Quickie 500 Championship?"

Post by dwc1 »

The Houston area, TX race for 2024 is currently being discussed for planning. We are shooting for the weekend of October 5 and 6. I've reviewed the current schedule closely, and this appears to not overlap with any other race currently on the books.

We're shooting for the Scobee field in Houston, but if it is not available, we will work with the Brazoria club to run it there.

Additionally, we are considering a little different format. We're thinking of calling it the Quickie 500 Championship race, and having a 2 day race of 426 and 424. That would be one 2 day race for each event. Cash prizes would be paid for winners. This is all in discussion, and I'd like to get a feel for who would likely be interested in a Quickie only blowout?

Please comment if you'd like to come race 2 days of 426 or 424 for a chance at some cash.
rocket
Super Contributor

Re: Texas Race 2024 "Quickie 500 Championship?"

Post by rocket »

For sure.. looking forward to it.
And I said, here am I send me.
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Post by airplanescotty »

Scotty & "M" ~ Yes!
QTR ~ Waste Not A Moment!!!!!
killerd
Super Contributor

Post by killerd »

Just an FYI, although it’s hasn’t been finalized or published, this is the same weekend that was discussed for the F3D/E team trials in NC. I don’t think it will have a major effect on your turnout, but I thought I would bring it up since I’m in that loop.

Doug K
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

Thought TTs are after the nats in mincie.
And I said, here am I send me.
dwc1
Super Contributor

Post by dwc1 »

I was under the same impression, Ray...

This is the whole issue with trying to schedule a damn race. Why wasn't I in the loop if that is the planned date for the TT? I've participated in the last 5 Team Trials, and intend to be at this years. So yeah, it affects my race if I'm going to be at the TT. Probably kills it all together because there's nothing left in September or October. We can't race in August in Houston, TX due to extreme heat and humidity, and December is out due to rain and winter weather.
G.Freeman Jr.
Super Contributor

Post by G.Freeman Jr. »

The after nats TT was only 1 of 3 options that were up for discussion. And the nats was the least favored of the 3. OJA is the premier spot for any race and for sure a TT where there is nothing else going on. Jamming it in after the nats is not doing a TT justice.

Seems like there are TOO MANY discussions happening without the majority and that is causing lots of confusion across many items in our racing community. There has to be more transparency from the powers to be with the general membership to avoid this.

Dennis,

I feel your pain. It is getting hard to first get a club to agree to allow a race and once they do finding a date that works not only the club, but the racing community. Good luck I hope all this gets worked out.

Gary Jr.
dwc1
Super Contributor

Post by dwc1 »

Obviously the discussion didn't include people who actually have a stake in the TT so I would consider it biased. That may be your premier place to for a race, certainly more convenient. I consider Muncie premier as well and a pretty central location.
killerd
Super Contributor

Post by killerd »

Dennis and others, to clarify there is only 1 bid to have TT at the moment, and it isn’t finalized yet. The 1 bid/offer was in NC on Oct 5-6th based solely on the fact it was the only option. Muncie is a great location, but adding 2 more days of racing at the Nats was a failed discussion for a number of reasons this year. Perhaps TX wants to host the TT and then it will be even closer. :D
As you already stated, the small group that competes in this class has a massive investment and the majority of you guys make the decisions, not me. I’ve only offered to help in whatever way I can.

Doug K
G.Freeman Jr.
Super Contributor

Post by G.Freeman Jr. »

Muncie would be a fine place, but not jammed in with the nats. iMO.
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Post by airplanescotty »

After hosting 3 TT's,,, and based on the magnitude of it's purpose,, the TT's clearly need to be a separate event!

Scotty
QTR ~ Waste Not A Moment!!!!!
dwc1
Super Contributor

Post by dwc1 »

OK, so I'm in a bit of a pickle here...

BTW, I agree with all. TT should be a separate event from the NATS. Going forward, what do I do about our proposed race? That weekend is pretty much my only option, looking at everything else that's already on the books. Our intention is to try to make this a large scale (national) event, so I want it to be clear of other races so that it can draw entries from the entire country. The idea being a championship style race for Q-500. Communication with the club is not easy. I get basically monthly responses. If I continue on with planning for this event, and the TT are finalized on the same date, then my only option is to cancel the race. I have to be at the TT, not only for myself.

So, should I just scuttle now, and save the headache?
G.Freeman Jr.
Super Contributor

Post by G.Freeman Jr. »

DC,

From what I understand the bid was already put in for those dates.

I love the idea of a champ race for Q500. Is there really no other weekend that will work?

Gary Jr.
vonderhey
Super Contributor

Post by vonderhey »

Would it help if we moved the Team Trials to October 12th & 13th which is the following week of the original proposal date. I don’t think that it would affect the Whittier race at all because most of the TT contestants normally don’t attend Whittier. However it might be a little tight for DC to make to NC? Von Der Hey.
vonderhey
Super Contributor

Post by vonderhey »

I already received the first opposition to my previous suggestion. So here’s how it’s going to work now. The OJ field will be available when the FAI Team Trials contestants need it. Doug Killebrew is the CD. I am willing to work a stop watch for the weekend. That’s it. Von Der Hey.