Sad news

Pylon Racing General Interest --
killerd
Super Contributor

Sad news

Post by killerd »

I received a communication today that our long time race friend Tom Hegland has passed away. Tom was very active when I started racing and eventually became the District 1 VP writing articles and helping newcomers into racing. My condolences to the Hegland Family..
jima
Super Contributor

Re: Sad news

Post by jima »

This is very sad news for sure. Rest in peace Tom.
DT
Super Contributor

Post by DT »

Tom will be missed, the gentle giant and a gentleman by all means! Tom became an excellent racer! I was always hoping to see him at the races when I’d see Cheryl’s, tie-dyed shirts I knew Tom was there ! RIP my dear friend!
Last edited by DT on Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Thordarson
Member of the 57 sec club
53c
iamtom
Super Contributor

Post by iamtom »

So sorry to hear. Good guy and nice man.
123READY TURN
GaryS
Super Contributor

Post by GaryS »

Definitely sad news. Tom was one of the nicest guys anybody could know. He will be missed.
GS
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

Tom's smile was contagious. He will be missed. We will keep him and his family in our thoughts and prayers.

The Kane family
ceandra
Super Contributor

Post by ceandra »

Tom was a gentle giant. We teamed up for a few Nats. Great person, and great leader in teh hobby.

Tom, you will be missed!

Chuck
11H
G.Freeman Jr.
Super Contributor

Post by G.Freeman Jr. »

Very sad news.... I was just asking Flynn about Tom and if he had heard from him lately.. RIP Tom...Prayers for the family.

Gary Freeman Jr.
JPadelt
Contributor

Post by JPadelt »

Tom was my mentor for pylon racing. He got me into the hobby in 2006. We would practice at Moffett field. Tom had a spot on an end street where we flew. I curbs on the street we my worst enemy. When my landing skills got better Tom built me a scratch built plane. He was quite a builder. His trade mark on his planes was the elevator hatch was always on the bottom of the plane. He also get me to go to my first NATS. About 10 yrs now. Thank you Tom for all of our pylon racing adventures. You will be miss by all. Godspeed
Fly Fast n Left
Super Contributor

Post by Fly Fast n Left »

Very sad to hear about Tom. He and I would fly at Moffett field together on the road with the pesky curbs. Tom was always ready to help and provide support wherever needed. He had a passion for the hobby as well as building. Tom will be missed!
MSALAZAR
Super Contributor

Post by MSALAZAR »

This is really sad.

I will always remember Tom as a very special friend since he was my very first caller at my very first 424 race in October of 2010.
As a newbie, I went around asking people to call for me and Tom didn’t even hesitate to help when I got to ask him.
We became friends, just like everyone else who met him did…
Tom will be dearly missed!
RIP my friend…
Mario Salazar