Recommended EF1 Set up?

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
lmotv1
Super Contributor

Recommended EF1 Set up?

Post by lmotv1 »

Having read the threads and different options, any recommendation on a set up that is working well? i.e. Engine, controller, esc.
Thanks
wkevinm
Super Contributor

Re: Recommended EF1 Set up?

Post by wkevinm »

I have been flying EF1 for a couple years

I have used the e-flight motor as well as the OS motor, both are good but I favour the OS motor, very smooth. I have replaced a couple shafts on the OS motors when I first started using them, in fact bought a half dozen thinking it would be a routine requirement, but have gone a full year now without nosing over and no more problems.

I have flown with both the e-flight 60 AMP pro controller and the Ice light 75 controller, and find both good.

I have flown several Pogo's, a Miss Lynn and now a Shoestring. My preference is the Shoestring, I have substituted the aluminum wing tube with carbon fibre, otherwise no modifications, even the landing gear has stood up well enough even though there are lots of complaints that it is too soft, if you can grease the plane in it is fine.

Batteries are a very big deal, I have used Hyperian 35C 2200, Thunder Power 45C 2650 and now Thunder Power 65C 2650, which I prefer. I started out trying less than optimum batteries... save your money and buy the best.

Radio system, I use all HITEC analog servos, and Optima 6 - light receivers on Aurora 2.4.

My final thought battery warming has become a requirement to get the best out of the system. In a way I wish it was illegal to warm batteries but once one starts it we all have to follow to stay competitive. I have built a battery warmer and find it makes a difference.
lmotv1
Super Contributor

Post by lmotv1 »

Thanks a lot my friend, all I needed to know! Got the shoestring and was thinking OS for power. Read the article on batteeries from the June newsletter and it was useful too. Never dealt with electrics before and have found it easy to understand the basics of the required set up. I'll take it as a learning experience. Any issue with the Cowl? Can't get this one to fit no matter what.
Thanks again,
Luis
wkevinm
Super Contributor

Post by wkevinm »

I do not recall any issues with the cowl, actually I have not had it on or off since the initial installation. I had recovered the whole airplane since all the planes in our races were the same colour schemes I decided to redo it all, not that that would make a difference to the cowl fit.
EJSmith
Super Contributor

Post by EJSmith »

Any issue with the Cowl? Can't get this one to fit no matter what.
Thanks again,
Regarding the Shoestring. I was foolish enough to purchase one as soon as they became available. The cowl fit was awful. It did not fit. The front former it fits over had to be sanded lower to allow the cowl slide on and the cockpit molding to slide in.

The landing gear aluminum was junk. I replaced it with proper aluminum material. The whole airplane was a poor quality disaster. While taking it out of the box packaging the firewall fell out. It was not even glued in.

I could go on but I think you get the picture.

Ed S
lmotv1
Super Contributor

Post by lmotv1 »

Thanks Ed, this one seemed ok so far except for the cowling piece. Been checking throughout and putting triangular stock where needed. For the price and work I wouldn't complain except for the cowl issue. Good hearing from you.
Take care
Darrol
Super Contributor

Post by Darrol »

Luis,
I had a cowl problem with my first SS. The fix is simple. At the rear of the canopy opening where the hooks go into the rear locks, cut the horizontal piece flush with the bulkhead. Then the cowl will fit right in. When you put the front of the canopy in the fuse, gentlly squeeze the cowl and they drop right in.

I do stock the carbon wing tubes and have a landing gear with much better material as well.

Ed, I have built 3 of the SS and have no idea what you are complaining about. The kits are quality and fly fantastic. For $150, I think that Horizon has done a great job of supporting EF1. They were the first on the block with the Pogo and then came up with the Shoestring. When you go to a contest, over half of the airplanes are a Horizon airplane. It has taken Nitro Planes much more time to come out with their Dara. I hope that it is as good as the Shoestring. In both quality and performance. Where is the Proud Bird from Hobico? It should have been in production and on the market a year ago.

If it were not for the forward thinking of Horizon, EF1 would not be where it is today
Darrol
Fly Spektrum!
http://WWW.DarrolCady.com
RSmith
Super Contributor

Post by RSmith »

Darrol,
Jim's Proud Bird is coming from Great Planes. It is shown here:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... XCPFP&P=ML

But quoted as "available late November" Who knows what that means....

Randy

Post by lmotv1 »

Thanks Darrol, will try that fix. Basic problem is when you have the wings on there is no way to squeeze the cowling over the edge of the canopy. Good to know you have the replacement joiner and gear. Will reach out to you via email.
Happy Thanksgivings to all.