Proud Bird EF1

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
splatt
Super Contributor

Proud Bird EF1

Post by splatt »

I got my Proudbird done and flown this weekend. It needed 2, 3 clicks of down trim and away it went. The model rises off the ground without a fuss, straight and true. I flew the course and after a few clicks of right rudder, I had it tracking wonderfully around the course holding knife edge with ease. The instructions even tell you which holes to use on the horn and servo wheels which made it a total no-brainer to get right. The covering was mostly tight, it just needed a little tightening in some places.

This is a heck of a plane. I think I bought the last one off of the tower site because now there not available until late May. I used the OS and Castle 75 ESC and with the life power battery I got 20 some laps at full throttle and landed with 30 % of battery life left, the battery was barely 100°F when done, so I think we're OK on the power combination.

Being electric, I loved the fact that I could grab some simple model paint and put some color on it without worrying about being fuel proof.
jima
Super Contributor

Re: Proud Bird EF1

Post by jima »

Thanks for posting and happy you like it.

If you're going to paint trim on it, I'd recommend the Rust Olem Painters Touch paints. They're available at Home Depot and Walmart. They stick to monokote great. I just did a full scheme on one of the little GP Cosmic Wind planes and it worked awesome. I just wiped the surface with isopropyl alcohol before shooting. I even sprayed some in the paint cup for my air brush to shade the numbers. Great stuff. There's a posting on the building tips page of the forum about it too.

Please post some pics after you get it trimmed up.

Jim Allen
splatt
Super Contributor

Post by splatt »

Here's a pic, all done in the sun, time for some fun.

one small can of Tamira spray paint got what you see so plan accordingly

Strange, the tail feathers have no trailing edge taper, just blunt ends. Cost savings, or does it help slow speed stall? I've spent too much time sanding if that's the case. I did drill out where the intake would be and a lttle more gap under the spinner intake. Now to buy more batteries
Attachments
DSCN0079-crop_1014X480.jpg
bob brogdon
Super Contributor

Post by bob brogdon »

The horizontal and vertical stab have no trailing edge taper per the rules.

Bob