How cold do Lipo's go?

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
splatt
Super Contributor

How cold do Lipo's go?

Post by splatt »

Hello all,

First the good news, I won a race this past weekend with my Proud bird. Had like 9-10 fliers, all seasoned quickie pilots who couldn't find pylon one to save there life or found each other in the air. Even I coundn't launch a Miss Dara to save my life. but I managed to have a perfect race, all wins, no cuts. First time since I started racing in 87. So I'm in the I hate quickee camp now.

We're going to host a race on Sept. 21st. and in Mpls. the average temp is between 50 and 70 that time of year. At what point do Lipos start to peter out due to the cold?
RSmith
Super Contributor

Re: How cold do Lipo's go?

Post by RSmith »

Hi Jesse,
Congrats on your E-F1 win! My Miss Dara takes off very nicely. Not sure what you are referring to regarding their launch....

Anyway, I can advise on cold weather and Lipos. Your temps in Sept of 50 to 70 degrees should be no problem. In Canada, our lipos for E-F1 start to get a bit "drowsy" under 40 degrees F. Although, having said that they generate their own heat during discharge. So under 40 degrees you'll notice the first few laps are a bit slower than they would be normally until the cells heat up on their own due to discharge during the race. After the first few laps, the speed is pretty close to the normal speed you would experience at warmer temperatures.

Further, if there is a "no heater box" rule, everyone is on the same level playing field anyway. You could always stick the battery pack in your crotch and see how warm it gets. :o That might be pushing the no-heaters limitation however.

Randy
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

Jessie

I am not sure what you are referring to regarding the Miss Dara. Can you shed some additional insight? You made a similar comment to me at the NATS. I am just trying to understand.

FYI, Jim Nikodem flew a NitroPlanes DARA at the nats and had the second fastest time. 1:11:28.

DK
splatt
Super Contributor

Post by splatt »

Hello Dan,

Fast time is one thing, getting off the ground consistently is another. It just seems the Miss Dara is a bit tippy compared to other models, wanting to nose over on take off. I watched this from seeing 2 or 3 other models flying off of grass here in MN. I would have to own one to give an honest opinion. So for anyone reading this take it for what its worth.

My last race though I seemed to have the hands of doom when I touched someone else’s plane, just my own paranoia more than anything. I had tried pushing a Miss Dara by holding the fuse in front of the tail and on first push, I managed to shove it right into my neighbors plane trying to leave on the 2nd push, about 3 feet past the starting line. Just a little embarrassing.

I do appreciate your efforts to build up this class and all the chances for folks to get out and race. It aint no easy feat by any means
Dave N
Super Contributor

Post by Dave N »

Jess,

I've had no issues taking mine off of grass, although I'm slightly aft of the recommend CG.

D
www.ncplracing.org
charles swaney
Contributor

Post by charles swaney »

Dave N wrote:Jess,

I've had no issues taking mine off of grass, although I'm slightly aft of the recommend CG.

D
How far is slightly aft of the recommended CG - 1/16",1/8". ....?
It's always nice to know what works for others.
Thanks
Charles
Dale 813
Super Contributor

Post by Dale 813 »

splatt wrote:Hello Dan,

Fast time is one thing, getting off the ground consistently is another. It just seems the Miss Dara is a bit tippy compared to other models, wanting to nose over on take off.

My last race though I seemed to have the hands of doom when I touched someone else’s plane, just my own paranoia more than anything. I had tried pushing a Miss Dara by holding the fuse in front of the tail and on first push, I managed to shove it right into my neighbors plane trying to leave on the 2nd push, about 3 feet past the starting line. Just a little embarrassing.
With the amount of torque the EF-1 has, I believe pushing only slows you down and increases the odds of something going wrong. If my Plane is released. I know exactly where it's going.

As for being tippy, can't speak for Dara but the same is said for the Shoestring. With a lot of Practice. The right amount of Rudder and aileron input on launch will result in a smooth shot to #1
NO IDLING